98 jetta ignition kill

Home  \  European Imports  \  98 jetta ignition kill

its very irritating, i have no drivers side door handle so it is impossible to shut off this alarm. if i cant shut the alarm off the car wont start, for we have this AMAZING little piece of tech shite that kills the ignition! i need to find a diagram for a fuse box relay so i dont have to murder one of my close friends. the owners maual is missing and i cant find one online, can anyone help me find one? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

posted by  littlehellian

gonna be tough considering you didnt give us a hint as to what model you have
i say just burn it
solve all your probs at once

posted by  windman

The answer is better than the question. What a huge surprise. :clap:

posted by  vwhobo

Yeah just go into the fuse box and take out one by one till it stops :laughing:

posted by  99integra

if it were that easy whats the point of the alarm?

posted by  windman

My guess is that he's talking about the factory security system. You can shut it off with either front door lock. And it's not that easy. You have to open the hood or door to pull the fuse, both of which set off the alarm.

posted by  vwhobo

Since you didn't state the type of alarm you have, it is probably a factory installed alarm (don't mean to repeat wvhobo). In this case, I would call the dealership and ask them what to do. I doubt you can de-activate it yourself as trying to do so will probably activate the alarm to begin with.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

If you find the location of the alarm box, im sure there is a small harness you can disconnect, or some kind of switch on it.

posted by  newyorker

sorry for the confusion, its a jetta GL and its factory installed so there is no passenger lock. just the drivers. id love to just take it and burn it, but its my only way to work! :orglaugh:

posted by  littlehellian

and in response to this, we did disconnect the sound to the alarm, but the lights still flash on and off like its being stolen :banghead:

posted by  littlehellian

At least my guess was 1/2 correct. Check around that area there might be a wire that is connected to some other box thats causing this. Otherwise take the system, go to the dealer, and shove i in his ass :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

That's a negative. The system can't be taken off without being activated (to the best of my knowledge) and the car can't be driven to the dealer since it won't start. Therefore, the only options are to either call the dealer and explain everything (my personal preference) or have it towed to them.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Nice thought if the car is still covered by the Warranty. He didnt give us a year, but that might not matter if he got it certified or it was an extended warranty. The system can be taken off BTW. He said that he disconnected a wiring harness to it and only the lights were flashing. He didnt say if the car starts or not, so if it does, you just drive it to them, and if you get pulled over because they think the car is "stolen" you explain the situation and show them all of the registration papers and such and they will let you go. Only problem you might get a ticket because some people may think yuo are a police car.
To the owner. Pull the fuses for all of the lights, and that should solve that, and then drivethe car to the dealer, and tell them what happened and exactly what you did.
However a better choice is just to hook it all back up, and call them because if you tell them you were tampering with the amarm, they might say that you ust broke it and they cant cover it since it wasnt properly dealt with.

posted by  newyorker

He did give us the year...1998. I'm guessing it's still under warranty. He did say that the car did not start. Read his first post.

It is probably possible to remove the alarm, but it can't be easy. If it'd be easy, every car theft would be simple since all you do is disconnect the fuse, or whatever. For this reason, I think it would be simpler to just call the dealer and have them take care of it, especially if it's still under warranty. Tampering with it might cause trouble later down the road.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

do you have a remote lock? and what do you mean by no door lock? like you cant lock and unlock the door? the door cant close? Im shure it might just be a simple contact between the door and the alarm's wire.

posted by  ride3k

Wrong answer. The factory installed security system can be armed/disarmed from either front door. Simply connect the battery, insert the key in the door lock cylinder and turn it 90 degrees.

Oh yeah, don't waste your time reading ride3k's response. He's our new village idiot.

posted by  vwhobo

Thanks for all the advice everyone. cept you ride3k. I pushed it to a family mech (not really any sort of feat the damn thing weighs like 7 pounds) I did take ride3k's advice to heart a little, i put about 3 dozen paintball rounds into it lol.

posted by  littlehellian

Your Message