Beetle Conersion

Home  \  European Imports  \  Beetle Conersion

My friend william owns a 72 super beetle he was wondering what is a good engine to swap up to and how much will it cost.
Thanks just some general stuff so we have some basis to research with.

posted by  Aondor

The best engine for the Beetle is, oddly enough, a built up Beetle engine. Cheap to make power from and capable of making a Bug go quite fast, even without turbos. EVERY other swap candidate costs more to go almost as fast.

posted by  ChrisV

A buddy of mine built up a Type-4 2.0L for his Super Beetle (5 rib bus tranny), and he swapped Porsche 944 brakes all around.

posted by  Bino

Really, the first thing we need to determine is a "good engine" for what. Without a specific question, it's impossible to give a specific answer.

posted by  vwhobo

A good engine something findable. Not like a one and only something pretty easy to get your hands on. And something that will convert with little trouble offering a fair amount of power.

posted by  Aondor

Okay, that tells me basiclly nothing. Let's try this. For what?

posted by  vwhobo

he said power so probably wants quick accelaration ( spelling) bassicaly for drag

posted by  V-Tec

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. Your assumption has greatly clarified the situation. Did you see that news report on your crystal ball?

posted by  vwhobo

no i didn't... i read...he said power, which means he wants accelration, basically a good engine for drag.

posted by  V-Tec

Not necessarily. Power can mean quick acceleration, large top speed, better for dragging, or better for autocross (handling). He can also specifically want something with a lot of horsepower or/and a lot of torque, although I guess that's part of "power."

All things considered, however, until he clears it up for us, I would have to predict that he does indeed want something that accelerates quickly.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

We want an engine for around town ofering quick acceleartion and that will give ok handling.
This isn't his everyday driver but gives drove alot.
Something he can take out on the weekends and realy enjoy but not be too rediculus.
Higher tourque is more important than horse power.

posted by  Aondor

And now for the important questions. How much of the work can you do for yourselves and what is the budget?

posted by  vwhobo

Id budget around 6500 dollars
And most work can be done by us and help from a friends dad.

posted by  Aondor

Then again, I'm going to suggest building up a VW Bug engine. No conversion process, just a bolt in. But, you will have to upgrade your trans to handle the power. Whaddaya think, Hobo? Should he start out with a 2180, or you think maybe a bit bigger? I'd recommend going Type 4 for a bigger engine, but not on that budget considering he still needs to get a beefed up trans.

Funnny thing is, to me, $6500 seems like a HUGE budget for a Bug, considering I rarely spent a third of that...

posted by  ChrisV

Yeah, $6500 seems like an awful lot of budget for just the engine. I can build really nice cars for half that much. My gut tells me that that number if for the entire car, and the engine allowance is going to be about 25% of that number.

IF that is correct for just the engine, we can get pretty serious. So let's clarify it one more time. Is that number JUST for the engine or what?

posted by  vwhobo

To be fair, a Bernie Bergman turbo engine can eat up all of that budget, and not leave any left over for the rest of the car, or importantly, the transmission.

I haven't checked, but does TransForm still do warrantied ProStreet bug transaxles? They used to be pretty inexpensive.

posted by  ChrisV

thats the entire budget for the car.
Sorry about the confusion on that post

posted by  Aondor

Then what is the budget for the engine?

posted by  vwhobo

The car is freshly painted we got a wonderful paintjob arranged for 500 dollars by letting the Technical training school use it to let students do the job probly a 4k job done profesional and looks very nice Bright Blue.
Interior is in excelent shape so now were focusing on performance.(this is became almost my project car since he has the money to fund our endeavors Im always eager to help)
So for 6500 dollars what can we get engine wise please count tranmission swich in price range.(it its required)
Thanks.

posted by  Aondor

Your Message