smart car?

Home  \  European Imports  \  smart car?

Does any one know if the smart car is available in the US yet?

I’ve looked at the zap site and it doesn’t have an option to buy, or anything like that. I just got my new Credit score and I'm high enough that I could get a loan! So I’m thinking I’d sell the Fiero, and the Breeze and I’d have like 7k and I could pay for almost half of the car... or only put down 3k and save the rest... but either way if the smart car is available I wanted to pick it up.

If not ill just sit patiently and wait.:mrgreen:

posted by  TheFieroKid

I'm not too sure on it's availablity in the US at the moment. We had to make do with LHD import versions for the first couple of years. Why would you want one anyway? just wondering:hi:

posted by  Cliffy

I've seen them running around Baltimore, but then again, one of the two main importers is IN baltimore, JK Technologies (they are also registered importers for cars like the Skyline, too, and I saw a DOT Crash tested Skyline at their facilities)

http://www.greencar.com/index.cfm?content=features29

posted by  ChrisV

They get great gas millage, they are cool looking and I like them.

posted by  TheFieroKid

That's as good a reason as any I guess:thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

smart cars are the ugliest cars I have ever seen. They are tiny as hell...so small in fast you could park sideways in a parking stall and still have a little room left over. They are like a death trap, imagine getting into an accident...and that 40hp ain't too good either

posted by  Golddragoner

40hp? I thought it was nearer 60hp?.....I think all the points you mention are the reason most people buy them....apart from having an accident lol

posted by  Cliffy

Actually I've heard good about their safety...just come to Canada and pick one up, the dealerships about 5 minutes from my house :cool2:

posted by  chris_knows

I don’t know what the deal is with importing it... other then that ya I think I might.

Golddragoner are you familiar with a space frame?
Well incase you aren’t the space frame technology was pioneered by Pontiac in the Fiero (which I own) during production years the only car to beat the Fiero in front and side impacts was a Volvo that had air bags, the Fiero beat other top end cars with air bags yet had none its self.

This is due to the design of the frame which surrounds the driver like a big roll cage, in an accident the energy enters the frame and twists it, leaving virtually no energy left to enter the occupants.

Same technology is used by the Smart car and in fact they even have air bags.

Oh and they have 90bph (per their Australian site for the for4). And have a top speed of over 150mph. Their weight to power ratio is supposed to be comparable with most popular sport sedans.

lastly ugly... well that’s just a matter of opinion isn’t it.

posted by  TheFieroKid

The whole point of cars like this is being tiny. City cars have no need of being land yachts, and if more people drove cars like this in town, we'd all be better off.

Fears about being in a death trap are typical of the uninformed. And it would take too much to teach you the facts.

posted by  ChrisV

*Cough* Retard *Cough*
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6605730767077503480

posted by  StiMan

Wow Stiman thanks for that video... a video like that is 1300000000 of my words.

posted by  TheFieroKid

No prob. I remembered seeing it before so I thought it would help here. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

If i'm not mistaken, Daimler Chrysler is still debating whether to bring the ForTwo into the U.S. in 2007. I'm pretty sure they are planning on selling a crossover SUV that year, but they are waiting for the ForTwo to become legal in the states.

posted by  moostang104314

Just out of curiosity if you know, do you think that frame could withstand being t-boned by another car?

posted by  Benson

Id assume same as the Fiero (same frame design). And assuming your hit by another car probably very safe (side impact curtains).

posted by  TheFieroKid

OK well...I assumed that they sucked because they were so small...but that is impressive (wonder if it was actually stock though). Guess I'll research it next time :) still don't like the look of the car...and I do remember seeing 40hp diesel engine somewhere...can't remember(thats why I said it though)

posted by  Golddragoner

oh ya, thats the canadian version of the for2, that one has a power ratio simular to like a Kia Rio, or older dodge neon.
the for4 has 90bph, and i believe the roadster has even more.

posted by  TheFieroKid

damn opera, double post

posted by  TheFieroKid

Wow, Thanx for that, that was amazing. I'm not sure if there's another car that could hit a wall at that speed and still have it's doors opened lol

posted by  Cliffy

I dunno man, but that footage shows a pretty damn strong frame.

And yes that must be stock.

posted by  StiMan

Well you never know...they could have put in some extra bracing just to make it look better on the video

posted by  Golddragoner

Ya I guess that could be possible, but that guy is (I think) the Top Gear guy who you have no real reason (except perhaps pay) to add supports.

posted by  StiMan

All car companies are probably fudging their safety results right?
Bigger isn’t always better.
Remember from basic physics that a small compact item is harder to brake or twist then a larger one?

posted by  TheFieroKid

True, but only because smaller stuff has less momentum to stop than larger things which would be a major contributor to that...add the weight of a normal car and that frame would be toast (i.e in a T-bone the other car would have more momentum than the smart hitting the wall)

posted by  Golddragoner

He's ex-Top Gear lol (and a racing driver)....his names Tiff Needell, and he presents a show called 5th Gear these days, it's on channel5. That's probably what that footage is from as they're always doing stuff like that!

posted by  Cliffy

This is not entirely true… now if a light truck hits it yes. But I would think most cars should be fine so long as they impact in the door supports. These are there for just that reason… also this is where defensive driving really becomes important.

Take a look at the design of the car again, its basically all arches… now if you’ve taken history, or engineering, or science, you’ll remember that arches are one of the best shapes for taking impacts, and structural stress (why the aqua ducts are held up by arches)

I would say this has to be a very safe car.

posted by  TheFieroKid

OK, maybe safe..but sure is ugly

posted by  Golddragoner

Now that's your opinion now isn't it?

posted by  Scolson

Sometimes you hafgve to judge a mechanical devices beauty by it's function. I mean, look at MP3 players. How do we determine a small metal box is attractive? How does it's chape relate to, say, a good looking computer keyboard, or a good looking speaker, or a good looking chair, or a good looking toaster? I mean, you can look at a big screen TV and say it looks good, but it doesn't look anything like a Ferrari, does it?

So when you think something is ugly, do you judge it based on a standard it's not supposed to meet? Does an F1 car look good? How does it compare featurewise to an exotic sports car or a sedan you consider attractive?

posted by  ChrisV

"you can look at a big screen TV and say it looks good, but it doesn't look anything like a Ferrari, does it?"

well said :clap:

posted by  nighthawk

Fifth gear is a great show. Lot of good stuff on there. We just started getting the Speed channel, and they have a lot of good shows on there.

posted by  moostang104314

I had Speed channel (loved the rally races) but they took it off of our cable. :ohcrap:

posted by  StiMan

I think it's ok....but it's just like Top Gear used to be, and to be honest I prefer TG as it is now, rather than how it used to be!

And the name '5th Gear'....sounds too familiar for my liking lol :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

So does any one know what’s involved in bringing a car over to the U.S. from Canada?
I have 2 years to figure this stuff out (when I move to CO, to go to the Art Institute).

posted by  TheFieroKid

I think you'd just have to get a federal inspection to make sure it is legal to drive in the US...at least thats what some people coming to Canada from the US have to do

posted by  Golddragoner

Really? Are you sure? Can you back up that statement with facts, or will you just whine and tap dance like every other time you're caught spewing bulsh*t?

The first production car to employ a space frame design was the Mercedes 300SL from the 1950's and many other manufacturers have used them since including Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, Lamborghini. The list goes on. Unless I missed something and Pontiac was producing Fieros in the fifties, they didn't pioneer didilly squat.

posted by  vwhobo

Are you sure? Can you back up your statement?
Because I have a VHS from Pontiac where the designer of the Fiero says exactly what I did... so either he’s lying or you are.

And even if I am wrong about how pioneered the technology it doesn’t matter, the fact is its a safer frame.

Edit: Ok yup your right, a first generation space frame was used on the Mercedes 300SL, how odd... every one in the Fiero community thinks of the Fiero as the first space frame car... and even like I said the gm executives who made that VHS... I apologize for not knowing about that car.

posted by  TheFieroKid

The Fiero is one of the first with a stamped steel space frame, but decidedly not the first with a space frame. Most production Ferraris have been space frame cars for decades (in fact, check out the first Ferrari 308 series that was a fiberglass skin over a space frame) and that Mercedes is a pretty famous and desireable production car.

posted by  ChrisV

Thats something I never new... hmm... still the space frame is safe... very very safe.

posted by  TheFieroKid

Your Message