Volvo Problems

Home  \  European Imports  \  Volvo Problems

:banghead: I bought a 2002 S80 Volvo thinking that I would save money by having a car that I could drive for the next 10 years. What I did not know was how much it cost to own a Volvo above the payments. If 80+ dollars is OK for an oil change. The ignition switch breaking and leaving you standing and walking for 1~3 weeks is ok. The light bulbs always failing is ok. The computer that controls the seat movement fails and cost about $800 is ok. Then I guess that you should buy a Volvo. Did I say anything about a $42,000 car that after 4 years is booking about $11,000. I always said I would never own a Ford again and now I have added Volvo to that list. By the way, did you know Ford owns Volvo? I did not know this until after I signed on the dotted line.

posted by  cnc_brian@yahoo

I was about to say Volvo=Overpriced Ford lol, but I guess you figured it out. I have nothing against Ford or Volvo, and Volvo does make some luxurious cars...Doesn't the warranty cover most of those things?

posted by  chris_knows

Sounds, like you had NO idea what you were doing, and almost got what you deserved. :thumbs:

posted by  Pythias

I'm not too sure as to how you made that assumption?......he just doesn't know a great deal about cars...

posted by  Cliffy

Yeah, but a little bit of research would have been helpful :thumbs:

posted by  Mathew

Research on buying the car? or research on how to fix it? lol....If ya mean on how to fix it...we could say that about 90% of all n00bs lol!....infact, that probably applies to the former too actually! :banghead:

posted by  Cliffy

I mean he should have done some research before buying the car. $42,000 is a lot for an impulse buy!

posted by  Mathew

He could have done ALOT mroe research on this car rather than what looks like he simply went out test drove it liked it and decided hey 42k ok it'll last me 10 years I'll just buy it. 80+ for an oil change? Umm yeah how much did you pay for the car? Did you expect around 20$ for an oil change? As for everything else, it IS a volvo, and it IS an expensive car, also usually dealerships DO get mroe money out of you. Were you expecting to pay for these repairs for the same amoutn of money as it would have cost to repair a 20k car? 11k after 4 years on your 42k car? Well your just an idiot right there, every single mile you put on the car brings it down in value, alot. Did we know Ford owns volvo? Mhmmm did you know M&M's had chocolate in them?

Yes I may be going out on a limb a little harshly, but damn your the idiot who went and spent 42k on a car you knew NOTHING about. So yes seems like you are an idiot who wasted alot of money on a car he knew nothing about. Things break in cars, old cars and new alike. Sh*t happens its called Life, deal with it. :2cents:

posted by  Pythias

Ford owns, kthx. You should've known going in that big retail price = big repair costs.

posted by  OombaIsBack

Exactly oomba, just as well my point is if your going to go through out 42k for a car... take 10 minutes or more to do some f*cking research on it, including who is the parent company of what company you are looking it. It is almost like kids comming on here and mommy and daddy giving them a 10-20k car for their first car and such. Kinda sad though that someone that was actually able to AFFORD a car twice expensive was so ignorant, then again this is America, I guess you have that freedom. :thumbs:

And NO Cliffy before you get on here and say it, I DON'T think I am being too harsh all things considered. Ignorance is bliss.

posted by  Pythias

Ignorance is a byproduct of being raised rich. Hey, it happens. No biggie, you learn from mistakes, right? But I do love how people dont take care of their cars and claim its the manufacturers fault.

posted by  OombaIsBack

Shoudlnt things like that be covered by the warranty...some cars are good some are bad...a LOT of ppl have problems with their neons, and I dont...doenst make the whole bunch bad...some pople have civics that literally fall apart, and most are great...doenst make the bunch bad...maybe the dealership is doing this on purpose? tkae it to a small mechanic and ask... my granddad took his lumina for a recall and they ****ed it up on purpose so i came in there made all hell and they fixed it right away becayuse they "forgot to replace a seal in the power steering"

posted by  newyorker

Don't you think you're being a little too harsh? :laughing:

Honestly though, don't assume what I'm going to say....:thumbs:

Fair enough though, maybe he should have done some more research, but some of you guys are like Lemmings lol...one of you says "hey, this guys an idiot, he should have done his research!" and the other follow! As strange as it might seem, when people that don't know a great deal about cars go into a dealership with the intention of buying a car, new or used, they put their trust in the dealer. This might not be the best thing for them to do, but it's one of those things, they assume the dealer will do the best for them, even though he really only wants the sale!

But hey, atleast he has some comeback with a dealer, if he bought it privately, he could have been $42,000 out of pocket!

posted by  Cliffy

Usually people follow the right person/answer.

posted by  Pythias

That statement displays an almost entire lack of life experience and wisdom. People usually follow whomever says or does the things that they agree with, accept or at least understand. People in general take the path of least resistance and what makes them feel the best... Even when it's wrong. Why do you think it's so easy to get into a womans pants by telling her she's beautiful and you love her, even if she isn't and you don't? :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

I know this already hobo... from you....

No, we can't all just get along. That is a phrase used by people who would rather go with the flow, no matter how uncomfortable it may be, than make a valid point. -VWHobo

I was expecting Cliffy to be smart and say or they usually follow the wrong person because my statement there was sarcastic.

posted by  Pythias

Sorry, I'm finding you hard to understand due to your lack of punctuation lol. Are you saying that your statement was sarcastic, and that I should have picked up on that?....I didn't make an incorrect assumption as to you following "a trend", as you did on what I was going to say!

posted by  Cliffy

Cliffy do you have blonde hair? Because that went right over your head. And please point out my lack of punctuation.

posted by  Pythias

A few comma's of a couple of speach/quote marks would have done the trick :thumbs:

No I dont have blonde hair. Would you care to ellaborate what went over my head? :doh:

posted by  Cliffy

I agree with the guys here, your life could have been much easier if you were able to have an ample amount of time and few good thoughts from experienced peeps here about cars and fixing them. I cannot claim that I know the hell everything about cars most especially Volvo but there exist a pretty neat website when we are talking about Volvo. Hope it is not yet too late for you to go figure it out. :mrgreen:

This may prove to be a helpful resource for Volvo enthusiasts alike -

Safe Driving Everyone! :thumbs:

posted by  jhall

I don't think he's listening, afteral this thread's over a year old now....By the way, I've edited your post. Please read the rules. :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message