My first car!!!

Home  \  European Imports  \  My first car!!!

Well guys its official, I finaly bought my first car. I don't know how, but I ended up geting a VW. Its a 95 Jetta 3. The bad news....Its already making a noise. The problem is when I slow down usaly after going any speed its starts to shake almost and make this clicky noise, its hard to explain. It only makes the noise when i slow down. Its towards the front of the car. If you have any idea whats the problem please help because I'm debating on wether or not to register the car or get my money back. If you need any more information I'll be more then glad to tell you what you need.

posted by  Morphias87

could it be your brakes? just taking a random stab...

and congrats! :thumbs:

posted by  SuperJew

I'd go with the brakes too....sounds to me as if your front discs could be warped, brake pad wear also plays a part in this sort of thing more often than not too...not too sure about the clicking though, is it always at the same time as the shaking?

posted by  Cliffy

Chech the rotors on the front brakes. They are probably warped. I know i had similar problem but with 4-disc brakes.

posted by  Coffin Type R

Yea it shakes and makes that noise at the same time. Do you have any kind of price range this might be to repair, I know theres not enough information but if you had to take a guess for repairs(asuming its the brakes) what would you say? Thnx for all the help.

posted by  Morphias87

No probs, as my profile says, I'm from the UK so I'm not sure how our prices differ to yours. Anyways, providing it is the front brake discs and pads (you'll have to replace the pads too) £200 (I'm not sure what that is in US dollars though, sorry) to have a garage do the job or probably half that if you do it yourself, It's an easy enough job to do yourself though. If you need an explanation on how to do the job feel free to ask, as there are a few tips to help you out :thumbs:

Good luck!

posted by  Cliffy

I would just pay to have the car looked at. It's never a bad idea for a brand new car. God forbid you drive 200 miles and your cars tranny falls on the ground or something

posted by  Integra_LS

Not much help to you there. the only suggestion i can give is get a new higher bhp engine as well as new tranny and cluch and brakes. Then if it still makes noise you might want to try and take out the tapes and CD's in the side pocket. :mrgreen:

posted by  Hiens

Here in fresno, the price range is about $150-200 plus parts, if the shop does it. The best bet for you is a series of options; 1) a phone book. 2) a friend with some car/brakes knowledge. 3) a seriou sit down with good old Chiltons. If none of the above apply, i suggest Mienikie(sp?) Good Luck. :wink2:

posted by  Coffin Type R

Well guys, I brought the car to a mechanic, whole front end is f*cked up. Theres a list of problems but to lazy to tpye them, well anyway its gonna cost atleast $2,000 to fix and considering i only payed 900 for it i said no way and I got my money back from the person I bought it from. They fealt really bad and even gave me 1,000 instead of 900 for my troubles and what not. Now i'm going to a dealer, I think i may just lease a new car or something, we'll see. :thumbs:

posted by  Morphias87

lol...the guy you bought it from should have sold it as seen...then he would have been able to fob you off, still, I'm glad you got it back to him, oh and btw..$900 is very cheap for any '95 VW....every wondered why it was cheap? :hi:

posted by  Cliffy

Well it does have a shit load of miles on it, 127,000. :wink2:

posted by  Morphias87

Well I think I finaly have a car I'm going to stick with. Its not as fast as the Jetta nor is it a manuel transmission but its a 1997 Toyota Corolla. I do live in the city so i'm not disapointed that its automatic but like most Toyota's, it is very reliable. It drives real smooth and I have nothing to complain about so far, but if I do encounter a problem you'll be sure to hear it, thnx for all the previous responces on my (old) Jetta! :mrgreen:

posted by  Morphias87

Your Message