Money's flying everywhere

Home  \  European Imports  \  Money's flying everywhere

So, with my new job, and a very lucky commission, I'm kinda bumped up into a higher tax bracket. Because of this, I'm looking at cars again. I'm only in the preliminary stages, but one car has caught my eye. A porsche Boxster, 2000-2001 model.

I'll be putting maybe 5,000 miles on it a year.

my only question is; what kind of achilles heels do boxsters have? What should I prepare myself for?

posted by  Godlaus

the fact that its a porsche:laughing:
my opinion is that i dont like them, ugly and they sound like a bag of nails!

posted by  True_Brit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAphQpbm4JA

mostly about the z4m but helpful nonetheless

edit

http://www.caranddriver.com/bestcars/3828/porsche-boxster.html

posted by  nighthawk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT7qJN7kUGI

thats got nothing much to do with it, i just had to put i on, back to the point, id go for something like a BMW Z4, SAAB 93 something like them but not a porsche!

mind you, id much prefer a hard top!

posted by  True_Brit

People have different tastes. If he wants a porche, let's support him on getting one. But, aren't they kind of on the cramped side?

posted by  SyntheticTrust

okeydokey, good on ya, go on, get the porsche, get a hair dressers car! lol
sorry:thumbs:

posted by  True_Brit

good to know you're earning the money to afford such a car!

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25851-1073971,00.html

posted by  True_Brit

When you drive 5000 miles a year who cares? It's not like he's transporting things with it.

posted by  Benson

Maintenence might kill you I dont know how often you will be making the money to keep one running. But you could get an older 993 or 964 911 if you held off just a wee bit, but that would put you in the poor house just as quickly though.

EDIT
What lucky commision? Did you sell an assload of worktrucks or like a GT?

posted by  skeetin870

A F-350 King Ranch
-------------------------

I'm looking for maintenance problems. I couldn't care less about trunk space or driver space. I'll be using this car for weekend dates, and my 16 year old brother might use it the occassional weekday.

All i want to know is reliability. i don't want support, like synthetic suggests, or people's opinions on what car to get. All I want to know is reliability. Preferrably first hand experience. There's only really been one link that helps me out/

posted by  Godlaus

when it comes to porsche, id have to say get a carrera... boxter sucks in compareson... though they are a lot cheaper generaly speaking... i feel somewhat ignorant by saying that, though at the same time i dont just because ive driven both... but thats my opinion

posted by  mazda6man

How many people on here do you reckon have 1st hand Porsche owning experience?

surely you're not trying to flaunt this over the 16yo's?

posted by  windsonian

my link :laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

Well, I have no first hand experience, but the JD Power surveys say the Porsche brand is quite reliable. Clicky (http://www.jdpower.com/autos/brand-ratings/)

posted by  jedimario

from what ive heard from this site, it seems quite a reliable car (to my suprise lol), shame its an english website, it tells you what to expect to pay for such a car
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25851-1073971,00.html
if you want to convert the price on the site (poundsĀ£ into dollars$)
i always use this site
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

posted by  True_Brit

My Uncle, a retired Marine owns one. Got a good price for it at an Auction, overall a good, reliable, and LUCKY car as it got through Hurrican Katrina without getting a single drop of water on it. :screwy: Personally not my taste, for that much money something faster and handling better could prolly be had, I'd take an S2000.:2cents:

posted by  Pythias

I wasn't so much refering to ownership as much as to working on them.

And pythias:

No matter how much you tune a mustang, it's still a mustang. I'll be cruising in a porsche. You'll be racing in a mustang.

We're trying to get to different goals, so we get two different cars.

The power and image that comes with the porsche is too much to let pass by.

posted by  Godlaus

:stupid: You don't buy a new BMW or Mercedes-Benz because it's cheap to fix or own. It's exclusive. Your not just buying a car but an image that goes along with it. If I were in your shoes I'd get it (why not the Boxter S?). What are your thoughts on a Z4?

posted by  elchango36

i would have the boxster s, the first one didnt hardly have any grunt at all with the 202 bhp it gave!

posted by  True_Brit

Wrong, I know what I am trying to achieve, and with which car I want to achieve that with. I can understand you are going for something different, obviously, because if you were trying to make a race car, you wouldn't be looking at Porsche's, don't make me appear to be on the intelligence level of Newyorker because you read the first half of my post and missed where I recommended a Honda S200. No the S2000 might not give you as many looks, and wouldn't be a Porsche, but personally I think the Boxster is ugly, however much of a Porsche it is, and for that kind of small, light, quick car, I would much rather spend less money and have a nice revving, convertible Honda S2000. I have ridden in a Porsche Boxter before, and it didn't impress me quite as much as I thought it might, granted though the handling was amazing, it's amazing when you can take a turn at such speeds, and actually make it.

posted by  Pythias

I know you're not looking for a different car, but meh, I have to throw this in, what about a Z3 M Roadster. Those things are fast as hell, and beautiful. Boxters are kinda ugly.

posted by  Mathew

PRICE? The M's are still a bit pricey. I beileve you can find a Boxter for a lot cheaper than an M Roadster. The man's got money, but he's looking at Boxters and not 911 Turbo's for a reason.

posted by  elchango36

5,000 miles..a year?! Holy hell... I've put 6 already on my accord and I've only had it a few months. Do you have a second car or something?

posted by  SyntheticTrust

Dude...I wasn't trying to insult you at any point in my post...

posted by  Godlaus

leaving it in a parking lot the majority of the time. Parking at the university is too expensive ($500/mth). I'm gonna use it for weekend fun, dates, and occasionally let my brother use it. I might even use it 2,000mi a year.

Boxster S is too expensive. And as much of an image as a BMW or a mercedes has, none have the prestige of a Boxster. Expecially at my age. try telling a girl you drive a BMW, then another a Mercedes, then another a Boxster. See which one has the best results:mrgreen: .

And I like the loks of a boxster as well. the Z4s never really clicked with me...

posted by  Godlaus

Sorry, I didn't mean to get so defensive, it's just that some people think that anyone who likes Mustangs think that they are the best cars, kinda as you implied, and I definitely do not believe that seeing as how I was looking at LT1's as a second car instead of the 95GT I found, I can most assuredly respect other cars for what they offer as far as handling, reliablility, and of course status, good luck in whatever you choose, go take a look around, you might find something else you like, but try to go and get some pictures of the canidates. Whatever you do buy it will be awesome I'm sure.

posted by  Pythias

I implied nothing other than that you liked mustangs more than you liked boxsters. I implied that I like boxsters more than I like mustangs, and the reason why.

I implied nothing of the sort that you think I did.

Honestly, chill.

posted by  Godlaus

He was...

posted by  Mathew

Your Message