Another new car...

Home  \  European Imports  \  Another new car...

Just thought I'd show you all our new car. It's a 1.4-litre Citroen Xsara. I usually wouldn't touch a Citroen but I bought this one from a good friend of mine, so I know it's history too. It has 88,000-miles on the clock. I must admit it's growing on me too, it doesn't have as many creature comforts though, as higher spec models and as such it has only Power Steering, Remote central door locking & Alarm, Digital Odometre and Trip readings (one of my favourite touches, lol), Drivers Airbag and a reach/rake adjustable steering column. It lacks such items as Electric Windows, Tachometre, Sunroof and A/C but hey, ya can't have it all, lol. The best bit was how much it cost us......a mere £350! and for any 1998 car that's cheap.

There is a few downsides to this car though. It requires an MoT test and is nearly out of tax. I know that to pass the MoT it needs two new front tyres, a set of front brake pads, a drive shaft (one is bent and has been diagnosed!), rear brake adjustment (handbrake isn't effective enough), and the exhaust needs re-clamping (it has a new exhaust, but the clamp that connects to the cat is leaking!). So really, £350 for the car, plus about £150 for the parts including the MoT, aint bad (doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that's £500, lol). Here's the pics:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/CliffWoods/Citroen002.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/CliffWoods/Citroen001.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/CliffWoods/Citroen003.jpg

posted by  Cliffy

not a bad car at all

never seen one in my life though lol

posted by  nighthawk

I thought that might be the case, lol. I think they were a Europe only thing, like most European motors. They're not made anymore, I believe they ceased production in about 2003 :thumbs:

Another thing I've forgotten to mention, the Central locking is tempermental to say the least, lol. I think it has something to do with the pasenger door locking mechanism being siezed. I will probably leave that as it is though...:ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Nice looking car. Is that a clock where the tach or speedometer should be???

posted by  elchango36

Yes, if the clock wasn't there the tacho would be. Xsaras with a tacho have a digital clock in the dashboard I believe. I personally hate that analog clock and would prefer a digital one, even with no tach the speedo would look nicer in the middle....by itself, lol

posted by  Cliffy

my grand prix has something similiar

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h295/andrewsamms/grandprix005.jpg

hard to see, but there is a speedo on the left, and an analog clock on the right

(the second hand always glides along, no ticking :wink2: )

posted by  nighthawk

I never really have understood what you mean by the tax is almost out. :ohcrap:

posted by  99integra

lol. Road tax. We have to pay to use our roads here in the UK......Although I've yet to see what that money goes towards, the roads are crap here, lol. They always seem keen to dig them up though.....for essential works, lol

posted by  Cliffy

I haven't heard of any adverse comments about the Xsara here, except it's made by the same people who set off nuclear bombs near Australia and we don't like radiation all that much.

posted by  Wally

lol thats funny!
i considered a Xsara once but thats a really nice car cliffy!
casette player or CD???? im about to get a new car soon too! (well, me and my dad, but it'll be mine) it will be a 1997 Vauxhall Vectra (with a boot) LS 1.8 in red, getting that for a straight swap for my ford cabriolet!
hoping to get a Vauxhall GSi bodykit for it to make it look a little better!

posted by  True_Brit

In Iran that is like one of their best cars they have. Not many people can afford cars much better than that. Actually I think my cousin has that, or maybe he has a xiantia. I can't remember and I don't even know if xiantia is an actual model.

posted by  Bronxie

the Xantia is a real model bronxie! its just a saloon version of the Xsara (sort of)! nice with their 3.0 V6 in it :laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

No it's not, the Xantia is a hatchback, too, only larger, like the Vectra is to the Astra...

http://carpictures.duble.com/Citroen/Xantia/1.jpg

They also have that horrible suspension...very comfy, but if the spheres pack up, so do the brakes, lol. Oh and mine has a cassete player :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

i remember when my family had a Citroen BX19 estate and that was one of the most comfy cars we had (at that time), so one day we went to homebase (a home improvement store in england to you who dont know it) to get a few doors for the house and on the return leg of the journey the back suspension collapsed and the tyre was rubbing against the car and such! got really smokey inside, wound down the windows and it mustve looked like when snoop dogg opens his windows lol!
got home, fixed it in a week and we took it out again, filled up at the pumps, drove away and the car stopped, got out and then the car wen up in flames!!!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/CitroenBX19TRI1991 .JPG/300px-CitroenBX19TRI1991.JPG

so Cliffy! be careful, dont take doors and dont fill up at Tesco! :thumbs:

posted by  True_Brit

thats why i said "sort of", couldn't find any other way to desribe it!!!!
ooh, think Vectra to Signum!

posted by  True_Brit

So why did it catch fire? lol. As for the Signum, that's a strange one, as it's not alot bigger than the Vectra, at one stage it was going to replace the Omega I believe....

posted by  Cliffy

apparently (after investigation!!!) the fuel pipe or something blocked up and so, after it got hot, it sort of ignited! mind you i was 5 at that time (14 yrs ago) so memory is bland of that event! all i know is what my dad tells me and the newspaper page it was in! 2 fire crews attended!

posted by  True_Brit

Haha I agree, they always dig em up here in leicester as well.

BTW Nice ride Cliffy :) :thumbs:

posted by  Desir3

seems like it all ends up here in Plymouth! the roads are nicely kept here :laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

I took the car in for two new tyres today, after doing so I drove home, whilst en-route I didn't remember feeling that horrible movement through the steering that indicated the drive shaft fault. So, I pulled over and drove off slowly, looking out for the usuall jerkiness...It wasn't there. I can only assume that one of the wheels was serverely out of ballance, or one of the previous tyres was out of shape. I also looked at the brakes whilst the car had its wheels off....they too, are okay, if a little on the worn side. I called my good freind who sold me the car and told him that the bloke who diagnosed the drive shaft obviously knew what he was doing, lol, and that the pads were ok.....He was happy then :laughing:

Come to think of it, I dont recall seeing any weights on the wheels before I took it in today....I'm inclined to thing that a weight had been knocked off (it was a BIG weight, too, lol) :doh: :ohcrap: :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

Get them re-balacned, quick, cheap fix.

posted by  Pythias

Cliffy...I totally had a dream last night and dreamt that I went to England and rode along with you after someone asked me if I wanted to "ride on the dolly of the lion" so I said "that'd be cool" so I got in the passenger seat of your car and we drove around England....:laughing: No lie :doh:

posted by  99integra

:orglaugh: Dolly of the lion...I think that's a sexual term :laughing: JP

posted by  chris_knows

This sounds so wrong..:laughing:

posted by  Desir3

lol...Teggy darlin'...that was no dream, lol :laughing: ....jk:doh: Cool dream...I think :smoke:

I don't have a clue what that "Dolly of the lion" term is all about though :laughing:

....I did, that's how I resolved the problem :thumbs:

Anyway, another update. I went around the wife's Grandparents house today (Grandparents in-law? lol) to bodge the exhaust and adjust the rear brakes so that she'll go through the MoT. The exhaust is now covered in repair putty around the joint of the centre silenser and the Cat....I really dont wanna be replacing that any time soon.....lets just say that it's not blowing now, lol (rest of system is new so the cat's the next part that's due....hence my 'bodge' as cats can be over £300). I also took the drums off and cleaned the rear brakes up, the handbrake is sticking on the O/S and it's still kinda bad, I recon it'll need a cable for the MoT!

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message