drop top 2door phantom?!?!

Home  \  European Imports  \  drop top 2door phantom?!?!

http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/car_news_article.aspx?cp-documentid=2061641

saw this and almosyt creamed...

shexshy

posted by  mazda6man

Not bad....although to me it just looks like all other RR's

posted by  Cliffy

It looks nice, even though I'm not a big fan of Rolls Royce.

posted by  chris_knows

Yeah it's been on the rolls royce website for a while now lol.

Only thing I don't like about it is that it's not very powerful or fast and it's not very aerodynamic either.

posted by  Bronxie

Wasn't that on the last season of Top Gear? It was in studio wasn't it?

posted by  elchango36

its very aerodynamic for its shape! it is powerful! and is fairly fast, but you dont need to be fast in that car, id say it was merely designed to look good at cruising speeds!
anyway, it has the 6.7 1/2litre engine, same one used in the Phantom which has close to 500bhp!
the 100EX concept had a 9litre V16 with close to 700bhp, why they didnt go for that engine i do not know?
but id stick to bentley!
RR's are to be driven in, Bentleys are to be driven by (thats what i think)

posted by  True_Brit

The engine makes like 450hp and 450hp in a 6000 lb car doesn't make for "fast".

I would expect at least 500hp from that car. Disappointing.

Then again, I would probably never buy one anyways :D

posted by  Bronxie

450bhp would be enough for me nyway, its a cruising car, like said, it aint really built to be driven at high speeds! id stick to the new Bentley Arnage R which has 500bhp from its 6.75litre twin turbo V(i forgot, 8/12???)
and it only weighs 2.5tonnes
http://www.ultimatemotors.com/pageImages/bentley116.gif
or the Azure!!!
pure style, better than the Rolls Royce, all i need to do is win the lottery!
http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/images/bentley_azure_pr_1.jpg

posted by  True_Brit

this isnt the first drop top royce, but they did right... its still got the suicides... i remember when i worked in az. i got to drive, literally her majesty's old rolsroyce. i t was a corniche, and the thing was rad. i guess her favorite colour was blue, so this car was BLUE. two tone dark blue, light blue, and SMURF BLUE interior. it had the nardi steering wheel, RHD. good times. so anyways... i think rolls was going after the corniche with the new one

posted by  mazda6man

One thing maybach, bentley and rolls royce have always done well is provide exactly what their customers want while giving them massive amounts of power. I'm just saying this one isn't really all that powerful or fast. It's not SLOW really, but I just expect more.

That make sense to anyone?

posted by  Bronxie

Believe me it'll be fast....Not exactly 'Ferrari fast', but fast nonetheless. But as Jamie said, you wouldn't by it to be fast, it's more of a boat than it is a car, and at that price I'd rather buy a house I think! :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

id rather buy a phantom, its got everything you need! its got room, an umbrella in the door, a table in the seat to eat your chinese takeaway, a fridge for your bud/fosters/carling or what ever you have an aquired taste for, thick carpets etc!:laughing:
but really, id buy a house!

posted by  True_Brit

i couldnt have said it better myself! as for some, there are even hideaway liquor cabnets

posted by  mazda6man

not forgetting the broadband wireless in some, phone and room for more than one dead body in the boot!

posted by  True_Brit

It's on their website. If you want a 0-60, it's estimated at 5.9 sec...which sounds about right for a boat of that size.

Btw, I'd dish out the extra $$ for a maybach 57 S

posted by  Bronxie

the way i like to see it when it comes to luxury cars... go british or go home. yeah, the maybach is nice... way more rare. but rolls has that history that goes back just that much further (maybe 10-15 years but still) plus i worked at the dealership so i have a little loyalty. lol, i even baught my pops a rolls royce golf vest for xmas last year

posted by  mazda6man

thats good of you!:laughing:
but like i stated earlier, id have the bentley over rolls!

posted by  True_Brit

estimated! not exact and it can be wrong!!!
top gear had quicker when it was on the show when they drove it over one of the longest suspension bridges in the world!
i think they had close to about 5.1secs!

posted by  True_Brit

bentley and rolls are two different scenarios... you dont drive a rolls, you sit in the back and enjoy the ride. a bentley, you DRIVE a bentley... when it comes down to that, give me a continental T or an R if one comes up.
this
R-
http://www.crailville.com/coach/bentley/bent1/conty-r-1.jpg
not the GT... i hate these
http://www.psxextreme.com/wallpapers/psp/Bentley-Continental-GT.jpg

i mean, theyre cool and all, but they just dont scream bentley to me... even though they are bentleys. and i have to admit theyre fun to drive, but just not as much as an R or a T

posted by  mazda6man

Remember, at this price point, the owners will aready HAVE one or two (or more) nice houses, so what WE would rather buy is really, truly irrelevant.

And the car will be faster than most owners will want to use on the road. And again, at this price poiint, the owners will probabkly ALSO have a car like a Ferrari for when they wnt to go fast. You HAVE to quit looking at these cars as only cars or only purchases. They aren't. You HAVE to think about these cars in the terms their owners would be in order to understand them and make relevant commentary.

posted by  ChrisV

I'd rather thave the GT. Just a gorgeous car, with overtones of Ghia in the lines, but a classic front engine coupe. The old Bentley was a Rolls Royce with a more powerful engine and a body color grille. The new one is a fast driver's car that happens to be a very luxurious and stunning coupe.

posted by  ChrisV

Pretty sure Maybach was around in the beginning of it all. Mercedes-benz just resurrected it.

Mercedes benz and Maybach have a long history together.

Only reason people don't know Maybach is because it has been gone for so MANY years and it just came back in 2003.

If I am buying a car like a rolls, I don't care what other cars I have. I don't want compromise from a car like a rolls-royce just because it is presumed that I have OTHER fast cars.

And I'm pretty sure someone is not gonna get driven around in a drop top... They'd probably wanna drive it themselves!

posted by  Bronxie

You aren't in the category that Rolls caters to. Seriously, you don't have any of the maturity necessary to understand this sort of car. You still think EVERY car you have is a no compromise performance car. If you were in the position of looking at the Rolls, you WOULD care what other cars you have. That's why *I* don't require the BMW to be the same kind of car the Fiat is, nor do I require the Fiat to be the same kind of vehicle the Range Rover is.

When I had my race cars, I didn't require my other cars to ALSO be race cars.

posted by  ChrisV

Well said:clap:

posted by  elchango36

I'm with you on this one. I often think "What if I had 100 million?". I'd have a boat to be driven in that I don't care if it's fast, a boat to drive (late 50s Caddy or 63ish Impala ragtop), a drag car, an Auto X car, a rally car, etc. Why would you want your luxury car to be fast? If you want to go fast you've got a Lambo begging to be beat on. When you're rich there's no reason to compromise.

posted by  giant016

I don't UNDERSTAND this sort of car? I don't have to look beyond its competitors to find what this particular car is missing.

My simple point is I don't want my manufacturer making compromises to 300k+ car because they assume I don't NEED something that I may have elsewhere, essentially, a cheap way for them to save $$.

This doesn't apply to all aspects of a car, obviously, because then all cars would be the same, but power and speed is one area it does apply to this particular vehicle.

What you're saying doesn't even touch the point. I am knocking the manufacturer as a consumer, not knocking the consumer.

I re-read what you said about 3 times now and I still don't see where it has any real relevance.

posted by  Bronxie

A fast/luxuriuos car is a compromise between speed and comfort. A truly fast car shouldn't have luxury items like leather, sunroof, humidor, etc. I don't think it's them trying to save $. When going for a good 0-60 time you need to think about suspension and weight. A soft luxurious suspension will give you crappy 0-60 times. They could put in a firmer suspension, but that would defeat the main idea of the car which is luxury. They could shed a lot of weight, but luxury cars are larger, and weighed down by their lux. items as mentioned earlier. Why put an extra 50K into my lux. car to make it run 12s and be less luxurious when you've got a garage full of race cars at home? I'd want my fast cars to be as fast as they can be, and my lux. cars to be as luxurious as they can be.

I said luxury way too much there.

posted by  giant016

No, you don't understand this sort of car. Your continued ignorant bashing proves it. Your point is irrelevant in this category of car. I'm done. Get a clue.

:banghead:

posted by  ChrisV

The argument is about POWER. Why more power? Not because you wanna drag race, but because it feels better to drive it. Simple as hell.

You guys are going to extremes and saying that they didn't intend to make this a race car, while all I'm saying is that it needs more power!

posted by  Bronxie

the old maybach is a really nice car! id love one if i won the lotto!!!
click here (http://www.vistagroupusa.com/maybachgeishasmall.jpg)

posted by  True_Brit

You're taking a simple statement about my views on this car and throwing it all out of proportion. I was simply putting a humerous dig in RR's direction. Obviously comes down to not getting our humour again. I also didn't mention that most owners would have other cars for the thrill of speed, and as such, your statement pays no real relevence, whereby mine was a very real insight to what this car is really about. As I said, you took it the wrong way, Chris :thumbs: :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

rolls isnt about power. its about a comfortable ride. and they reason they have so much power is cuz theyre so heavy. if rolls wanted to build a POWERFUL car. they would. and if 450 ponies isnt enough for you, you dont know what 450HP feels like. thats a lot of freakin power. 200HP is a lot of power, to much for most people out in the world, muchless more than double that

posted by  mazda6man

Come on guys, Bronxie is a certified fool why bother. He's got plenty of resources to learn and he chooses to stay a dumbass. That's proof he wants to be a dumbass. So let the dumbass be a dumbass.

posted by  67Coronet383

Why am I a dumb ass for presenting my ideas? I present my ideas. You present your ideas, then eventually I, or both of us, reach a conclusion, even if it is the same conclusion as before.

That is my purpose.

Your points haven't moved me, hence, I have presented counter-points. If you're right like you believe you are, then you shouldn't have a problem dealing with that.

I'm sure nobody remembers but when I first joined I had a similar argument amongst members, including chrisv, about porsches and how I disliked them.

Needless to say I am now a proud owner of one.

posted by  Bronxie

a bag of nails!:laughing:

posted by  True_Brit

I'd like to see a Rolls Royce GT, like Bentley's. The Continential GT is such an awesome car to drive, and it has one of the most beautiful interiors I have ever sat in (apart from a DB9), I'm sure Rolls Royce could compete...

posted by  Mathew

You actually prefer the db9 interior to the continental? I'm surprised to hear that. I never thought of aston's as being "nice comfy interior" type of vehicles.

posted by  Bronxie

aston db9 interior is wonderful. whats better is vanquish interior, with the diamond tuck headliner.

posted by  mazda6man

I know Bentley's have more comfortable interiors than Astons, but the DB9's interior is the sexiest interior out there...and in my book, better.

posted by  Mathew

I just looked at a pic and it is pretty awesome.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-abc/Aston-Martin-DB9-Interior-Night-1024x 768.jpg

posted by  Bronxie

Astom interiors remind me of an expensive watch...:thumbs:

posted by  Mathew

this car is ungly

posted by  Andrew0261

I was thinking the same thing

well said

posted by  nighthawk

hell no, british luxury and style, all mixed in brilliantly in a german owned british designed car!

posted by  True_Brit

That car thinks you're ugly.

posted by  Mathew

I saw a video about a lady that had ESP with animals...But now with cars? :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Your Message