Your opinion on Jaguar?

Home  \  European Imports  \  Your opinion on Jaguar?

Hi all,

What's your opinion on Jaguar since Ford bought them out? Bettter / worse off - quality-wise?

Just curious. I love the line, but was just curious if their quality would suffer.

Thoughts

posted by  triple7allstar

as long as you stick with an xj or xk, uore in good hands. they are still jags. xtype and s type... glorified fords. xtype is a taurus, amd the stype iswhat ever is larger... i dunno. all i do know is
XJR Portfolio = gorgeous. mmmm, $100K+ jag
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/07/18/015202.1-lg.jpg
http://http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/07/50806-1 3-jag-.jpg

and
the XKR
http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/motorshows/2006/london/03-large/jaguar-x kr-f.jpg
good stff

posted by  mazda6man

Well I love the line but I think Ford made them disappear. There was just no marketing strategy for jag that I saw. Land Rover got more marketing than jag did. If Jag does sell to another buyer I hope their marketing department does a better job. I'm sorta new to the jag scene and just purchased an x-type. The x-type gets alot of bad raps because of the built quality but I've had no issues and have had the car for 3 years. I have more fun driving this than the 3 series I traded-in. Jag is underrated and used to be discussed in the same coversation as bmw's and mercedez's cars but not much anymore. I personally love the brand because they have a "WoW" factor that other brands don't have.

posted by  Baldie

my favorite part about the xtype, is that its the only jag that comes optional with the 5 speed. and they did come out with the xtype sport, which did have the custom grilles and sports body kit.

the thing about jag, that a lot of people dont understand. theyre not your everyday car, theyre not really big on public advertizing, most people arent going to read a magazine, and say "hmmm, thats a nice car, il consider buying one of those soon". the "real Jags" the "Jag-u-ar" if you will (as ive learned how you are supposed to say it from all the richy people) are compared like a bentley (not bentley status by any means, but to the same affect). no point in mass advertisement, when only a selct few can actually afford one. if you notice, where you will mostly see jag ads are in golf magazines, yaughting magazines, car and driver (compared to the other expensive lux-cars) and etc...

posted by  mazda6man

Your right on the mark. Jaguar is considered a "high-class" brand that richy people can only afford. That is probably why it has that "wow" factor. I get the question all the time, "How can you afford a jag, you must got money." Most people don't realize how low the resale value is for an x-type and s-type. When your in your 20's, a jag seems out of the question. The x-type and s-type were introduced by jag to cater to the younger generation, from what I read. The problem is the younger generation don't really read golf magazines and yachting magazines. I admit though that its nice to be driving a car that you hardly see much of, especially with the younger crowd. I just love my "bentley".

The x-type and S-type sport model do look sweet. At the time I wasn't able to find an x-type sport model but I since upgraded a few parts. I do regret not getting the manual as there was one available but chose to go with automatic.

posted by  Baldie

the xtype clutch is feels like no other clutch ive driven. if you ever get a chance, like if you see one at a dealersihp, drive one. its really soft, then just at the end it gets hard... but yeah, i beleive the attempt to catch the view of the young peopl is all ford idea... i dont think jag themselves would have done that

posted by  mazda6man

I guess I'm just curious then if the reason they have stopped being considered in the same breath as BMW and Merc is that they ARE losing some quality that they maybe once had?

Sounds like you haven't had any trouble with your X Type though. How many miles does it have on it?

I've never liked Jaguar, but sinse being owned by Ford things have only got worse from what I see. The X-type is just a glorified Mondeo, it even has the switch-gear from Ford, too!

posted by  Cliffy

I actually like all the jags, well the looks of them. Ive actually only driven an XKR, i think thats what it was, 390hp S/C V8, and after that I almost bought one until I found out, to my surprie, there is next to no aftermarket for them.

posted by  Enthusiast

I would imagine that has something to do with the kind of people who normally by them.....Lets just say that tuning isn't really on thei list of priorities, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

Well I was at least hopin for some good suspension pieces and at least different pullies to up the boost.

posted by  Enthusiast

You could probably find stuff like that...It might just be harder than on other cars

posted by  Cliffy

Well that was the thing, if not many people buy it then its propably pretty expensive.

posted by  Enthusiast

The car itself is expensive, aftermarket parts would be the least of your worries, lol.

posted by  Cliffy

The cars I were lookin at were in the high 20K range, not too bad, and aftermarket parts are something I always worry about.

posted by  Enthusiast

The problem is that that number ^^^ is down from an original selling price of like $70,000 brand new. You don't buy a jag for resale thats for sure

unless someday it turns into a classic lol

posted by  mazda6man

Yeah, but let's not get it twisted. I'd love to have an S Type R. Wouldn't care if it lost resale value, cause I don't think i'd have the intention of ever selling it. Just depends on your priorities I guess. If you want to make a great financial decision buy a honda not a jag. If you want to get a classy, upper echelon, fun driving car - buy a Jag.

Love that car

which goes right back to people thinking theyre over priced... lol.. it all comes down to, if you want it, pay for it. cuz if you dont, someone else will

posted by  mazda6man

As the past owner of a couple XJ6s, the Ford connection simply made the cars MUCH better. Quality went WAY up, as did reliability. The newer ones hold their value as good as similar Mercedes or BMWs, as well.

The X Type was overpriced for what it was, and even though moderately successful sales wise, woudl have ben a downright steal priced $5k lower. I liken it to my SVT Contour, but with a bigger, more powerful engine and AWD, in a more luxurious package with classic Jag XJ styling in a smaller layout. A 3.0 XType was on my short list of cars to buy when I got my BMW.

The S Type brought back the style of the old Mk II and S Type's of the '60s, and are actually quite good cars (that share nothing with the Taurus, even though blind kids think it does). I've driven them and found them to be nice luxury cars, though a bit smaller than the XJ and my 7 series.

posted by  ChrisV

My 7 series BMW cost me $7500. Down from a $75,000 price brand new. No you don't buy luxury cars from ANYONE for their resale.

posted by  ChrisV

Is this true? No relation to the taurus huh? Cool.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I've always loved the brand (especially the S Type)

Hi, I own a 2001 S-Type Jag. It's a V8 and pulls very well at 280 bhp, but there are a couple of things banging and rattling with it. However, i'd take the Jag any time over a Merc or BMW, even though it's less reliable.

posted by  CarTitans

Apparently Daimler is making a come-back with a car that should hold its value quite well, lol. It's the new Super8. I was going to start a new thread but I felt this belonged here more than anywhere at the moment. Here's (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_website/gallery.php?id=220305) a couple of shots of it. It's been done before as you're all probably aware, but I think this could do Jaguar's reputation the world of good (fair enough it's not badged as a Jaguar, but we all know where it's come from really, lol). I'm still not a massive fan, but then I doubt I ever will be.

posted by  Cliffy

Old Jaguar is fast .
New Jaguar is slow .
Can this get any more lame .:banghead:

posted by  g_aristov

I actually think since Ford bought them the quality and the car itself has gone up immenseley. On the other hand it has lost alot of its luster since it isn't pure or rare anymore. You can tell deep down that it is just an average car. You can't get them with manuals like you used to be able to. It feels like a nice car, but not a jaguar. Thats the problem. The car has gotten much better as far as build quilty and such, but it lost its sole. Thats what people buy jaguars for. The little things that are quirky and the unique feel and aspects. It drives like everyother car I have driven. Feels like everyother car, it could be a maxima, or an S60, or a Mazda, or a 500, etc.

posted by  rudypoochris

? Apparently crack doesn't smoke itself, eh? Care to share any real information other than ignorant one liners?

posted by  ChrisV

the X type and XK are available with manuals. the XJ has never had a manual going back to the Mk X/420 of the '60s, IIRC. Neither of my XJ6s were available with manuals back in the day.

posted by  ChrisV

The XK and the X-Type both do not have manual transmissions offered on their website. Maybe it is special order?

posted by  rudypoochris

that was really 3 lines :mrgreen:

posted by  windsonian

I was sure I'd seen a manual box on an early 90s XJ6, so I done some research. The proof's in the pudding, as they say, lol. They're rare, but they're there.

Clicky for picy! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-JAGUAR-XJ6-4-0-BLUE-RARE-MANUAL_W0QQitemZ120156 189169QQihZ002QQcategoryZ18185QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

posted by  Cliffy

Ya. I don't think Jaguar offers a manual in the US on any of its vehicles. Maybe it does and I don't know about it, but regardless the fact of the matter is they have gone away from a company that used to be much more into performance and racing.

posted by  rudypoochris

yeah, and a few of the XJRs, as well. But the point was OLD jags, and most luxury jags over the decades have been automatic, going back to the very early ones of the '60s. the Mk V, MK VII, MK IX, Mk X 420, etc. And IIRC all of the V12 cars.

The XK, just like it's forebearers, is still available with a manual IIRC, just like the original XKE and XK 120/140/150. And, of course, the X type has been available with a manual since it was introduced.

Still for a luxury car, the automatic is a better bet. Kind of like my 7 series which was only available with a manual in the small engine versions in Europe.

posted by  ChrisV

back in the day, they only had one street model that was for racing, and that was the XK series (XK 120/140/150 and XKE). the rest of their cars were luxury sedans with decent pace. Did you forget about the fact that this is what Jag produced in the '50s?

http://www.trouwvervoermiddennederland.nl/PICS/auto3klein.JPG

And into the '60s:

http://www.ribblevalleyclassiccarhire.co.uk/uf/cars/jaguar-mkii/jaguar-mkii -1-lg.jpg

http://www.blenheimgang.com/guide/jaguar/mkx1.jpg

And then in the '70s and '80s, this was their primary seller (my own XJ6):

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/cream_jag1.jpg

Luxury cars were their bread and butter almost since the start...

http://www.escosys.com/MKV.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

I didnt say they haven't sold alot of luxury cars. I said they are farther from racing now more than ever. Which is fact unless you consider their F1 effort something that materializes in their cars. Thats all. Yes alot of luxo jags have been automatics, but there has almost always been the option of a manual. I was just making a broad point about the direction jaguar has taken and I believe it to be true. They have always prided themselves in building the sportiest and most luxurious cars at a price.

posted by  rudypoochris

Unless I read it wrong, you said "The XJ has never had a manual going back to the xxxxx of the 60s"....hence my response :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

I love Jaguars, because they have an exclusive feel to them. You don't see nearly as many Jags as Mercedes or BMW's. If I had the money I would most definitely buy one of them over any other luxury car.

posted by  varybarry

I own a 2002 X-Type V6 3.0 L. I bought it used, and have driven it for four years. I still haven't reached 60K miles on the odometer! The car was great until this year (it's 10th birthday) The battery died, and I had to replace it. This wasn't a big deal, since it was probably the original battery. But, now the coolant reservoir is leaking, and the oil leaks/overflows. The garage floor under my car is covered with oil and antifreeze. The battery was over $100, and this looks like another $100 part (reservoir) plus whatever the oil problem is. If these are technically Ford cars, why isn't there an alternative to the pricy parts? I've checked online, and found Interdynamics MCR-3 and BVR-4 models for the reservoir, but they both look too big. Does anyone know where I can get this car serviced without being treated like a millionaire? I bought it used at CarMax, for cryin' out loud!!!

SweetNick   08 Sep 2012 20:33

Your Message