Volkswagen Jetta Reliability?

Home  \  European Imports  \  Volkswagen Jetta Reliability?

Boy I haven't been on here in a while. Anywho, I am looking at getting a new car. I have been looking at Toyota's and Honda's for a while considering that these cars run forever which is what i need (Fuel Economy and Longevity). I have been looking for a while now and it just seems like the resale value is so insanely high that I can't pick a nice one up for under $5,000. So this has geared me towards possibly purchasing a 1999 Volkswagen Jetta. Here is the ad of the car I am looking at purchasing, http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/765534001.html

I am hoping some of you long time VW owners or people that just know a lot about them can tell me if they will run till 300,000 miles or not considering this car has to last me till im out of college which is another 4-5 years and I drive a lot.

Hope some people respond with some info! Thanks guys!

posted by  Anohaakten

Love the cars, dont trust the build quality.

posted by  newyorker

You can't count on any car to last 300,000 miles.

In general I see VW in the middle of the reliability standings. Yes, Honda and Toyota are generally ranked high, but as you've seen their price kind of defeats the purpose of getting a car that rarely needs service.

You won't find any magic car that lasts a billion miles and is cheap to buy used. People buy used to save money, which means they're doing their research, which means cars that tend to last a long time will be easily spotted as the price for a used model will be high because of all the people who want a reliable used car. Basically what I'm saying is that you can get a 2000 Chevy or a 1995 Honda for the same price, and they will probably both overall last the same amount of time. Find a car you like, maybe call up a VW repair shop and ask them about the model in general.

posted by  giant016

My oldest daughter has a 2002 Jetta - It is as good as most anything elst out there on the market. Parts are not cheap.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

Your Message