The MOST dishonest car company

Home  \  European Imports  \  The MOST dishonest car company

What has happened to Jaguar since FORD bought them. They have become the most dishonest car company on the planet. In my case my father bought the car and one of the inventives was what the Jaguar salesman explained as the "Piece of Mind" program. that program allows for the car to be turned in should the lessor or purchasor pass away. Unfortunately may dad passed away last May and we attempted to turn in the car. They outright said NO! The piece of mind plan was really the "Piece of Crap" plan. They said that since the title of the car included his company's name on it, the piece of mind plan was nulled. Since we had no choice, we agreed to jeep the car and a Jaguar Credit debt manager agreed to waive the late fees if the payments were brought current. Well the payments were brought current but the statements kept carrying the late fees. I called them today to inquire...and to my dismay they claim that the debt manager did not note the arrangement of waiving the debt. NOT TRUE and more lies. This has got to be the most dishonest and treacherous car company in the world. The cars are inferior and the service is even worst. Those issues do not even compare to the level of dishonesty and outright lies in order to sell and collect money. Beware if you are thinking of buying a Jaguar. They will lie, cheat and do whatever they can to get you into the contract. Thereafter you are nothing more than another sucker!!! Stay tuned and stay away from Jags....

posted by  cigars

I'm sorry for your loss, It's terrible that Jaguar would do such a thing, although you probably already know that all companies will do anything that they can to get out of agreements made to their customers..Good luck with them in the future, I hope you will get something out of them :banghead:

by the way, I'm moving this to the 'Euro imports' section :thumbs:..also, it's very polite to use the intro section too :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Cliff thank you for the kind words. I have introduced myself in the new members section. Thanks

posted by  cigars

Is there any piece of paper anywhere you ever saw, signed or was notified of, had access to, or exists today thats says the car has to be privately owned to be turned in under those conditions?

posted by  DodgeRida67

Emotional hyperbole at it's finest. Sorry for your loss, but people have been burned by dealers of EVERY car make. And by contracts of every sort. I can go on car sites specializing in opinions and find the same charge levelled at every brand out there.

Your ONE example does not make a manufacturer "the most dishonest and treacherous car company in the world."

Your best bet is to get a lawyer to read the contents of the original contract, so you either know what the truth is, or at least have something to hold over the dealer's head.

As for that last statement, do you remember Jaguar from before Ford owned them? This is MY driveway:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/cream_jag2.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

Thats what I was getting at, just in a nicer way and dodging coming strait out and saying it.

When you go to a dealer, they will tell you what you want to hear. You don't listen to them. You read your contracts and such. It's not their fault, it's basically your own ignorance for believing them that you got treated like that for. They just filled you with half truthes, but it was probably written somewhere that it has to be privately owned only to get that deal and you just didnt look for it.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I agree with you to an extent, DodgeRida and Chris, however, Jaguar have been known for getting themselves out of binding agreements in the past. Obviously, all companies do it (not always car companies either). The way they tend to do this is by piling on all the paperwork and waiting while you, the customer, sits there and reads it. This, in most cases, makes you skim through the text rather than reading it thoroughly. In the case of 'Cigars' Jaguars customer service skills leave alot to be desired. I still say they ought to sort something out :2cents: :2cents:

posted by  Cliffy

Yes they pile on the paperwork, but you can't blame them and get sour for you not reading it and signing off for it. I know there was something somewhere saying it had to be privately owned, it's required by law. They have given out millions of the same contracts probably, the law is farmiliar with it all, so basically if you want to take it to court its an automatic loose.

It sucks, it really does.

posted by  DodgeRida67

My point was, the salesmen diliberatelly pile on the paperwork and wait while you sign it...It's just hard to read and sign while they are watching, it makes you read the literature to quickly, also, manufacturers word things in a complicated manor, that most people would need a dictionary to look up!..and it's not an automatic lose either, it depends very much, on the contract..we haven't seen it after all! :2cents:

posted by  Cliffy

its the good old fashioned, heres a cup of tea thats hotter than the sun, trick.

Send them a few intersting letters and tell the local paper about it, you might be able to sort it out that way. sorry about ur dad.

posted by  cinqyg

Put it in the paper. Whoever reads the paper will think "aw hell, why does a story like this get on the paper everyday" People get ripped off everyday because of not knowing what the hell they're getting into.

posted by  DodgeRida67

diffrent culture i guess. we use media to piss ppl off it ussally works a treat, well overe here on our little english isle anyways.

posted by  cinqyg

Nice couple of Jags...ChrisV.

Have you had much problem with the electrical systems? I have three friends with Jags about that same age and they have all had elec. problems...from lights not working properly, to annoying unknown problems with starting the car...

I have heard from a mech or two that they are notorious for this type of problem. But then you hear this a lot from mech's of all types.

posted by  BavarianWheels

alot depends on the age and lucus electrics

posted by  cinqyg

It's not just about the dealer. I personally called Jaguar to work it out and when we had no choice but to keep the car and pay the past due that was owed during my dad's hospitalization, they clearly told me that if I paid the amount due they would waive the late fees. After they received the money they came back at me and said that now I have to pay the late fee. That was downright dishonest and a technique they used to falsely induce me to paying the amount due, since the late fee is substantially less. This was from one of the top guys at Jaguar credit. Now if he is the boss imagine what the underlings are capable of doing. That's the low level crap that unscrupuleous used car dealers and scam artists use. With this attitude I am sure that they have no problems with their dealers lying to older seniors in order to sell cars.

posted by  cigars

Short of a pistol to my head, there isn't a power on earth to make me sign a contract, without me reading it. I have been jailed and my glasses taken from me, and I wouldn't sign a damn piece of paper without reading it. Refusal?- Never lost a case. You have the option to take the contract home or to a lawyer before it's signed. Get my drift?

posted by  lectroid

I understand what you're saying fully Lectroid, and after my own, bad experiences with such people, I'm exactly the same as you. It's just that some people feel alot of pressure when in these situations if ya get what I mean! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

These make you a little more wise/// they don't make you mature, or should I say act your age. :hi:

posted by  lectroid

All this...from a simple advertiser... :screwy:

The problem is you trusted a dealer's word. Don't ever ever trust a dealer's word - trust only things that the court will trust - written and signed on a piece of paper.

posted by  DodgeRida67

A serious answer for you.

The Jaguars are typically older British in that they are possesed. ;)

The original Lucas starters are weak. Unfortunately, they have all been discontinued, and the only ones you can buy now are rebuilts (some of them have been rebuilt 3-4 times in teh last 20 years...). The black one's starter failed the first day I had it, so I replaced it with a Bosch gear reduction unit.

The speedometer is driven from an electronic box that tends to fail intermittently. I haven't done anything with mine. The cream one is fine, but the black one would randomly start showing , say, 20-30 mph going down the interstate.

The injection system is all Bosch, stock, and pretty reliable. But the rest of th efuel system is pretty complex, with two gas tanks and a complex series of solenoids and switches to make sure fuel is bing taken and returned to the correct tank. This system fails quite often on older examples. The black one had faild before we got it, and had been reduced to having only one tank. (at 10-12 mpg, a single 10 gallon tank doesn't go very far).

The charging system is good on some of the cars (that diodn't use Lucas) and suspect on others. Both of my jaguars have had charging system issues. I left the black one alone, as it was random, but still worked. The cream one failed and needed a new alternator.

The AC units are mechanically pretty decent, as they are basically GM, but the AC amplifier that controls all climate control flaps, temparature etc, is expensive, and very prone to failure, so heating/cooling becoms very random at best. I have to replace the one in the cream car. The black car's never worked, but it has since become a parts car for the cream one due to extensive chassis rust.

Mechanically the cars are pretty robust, but at thi age, there are a lot of little things that can get annoying, from needing brake caliper work (the rears are inboard mounted and a PITA to work on.). The Series III engines are based on the same 4.2 that was introduced in '66 (and the ealier 3.8), and they weren't designed around catalytic converters. So the Series II and III cars of the late '70s and '80s in the US have a problem with the valve tappet guides backing out from the heads getting too hot. When this happens the cam can break the tappet guides sending large shards of metal through the engine. Can be rather disasterous. Luckily, there is a cheap aftermarket fix that stakes down the tappet guides. I've done it to both engines.

The black car has been more trouble that it was worth, even though it was wonderful to drive (when it worked). the cream one has actually been a pretty decent daily driver (though at it's purchase price of $1300, I expected things to be wrong with it).

It sounds like a lot can go wrong, and to be honest, it is. But looking back on it, it hasn't been that bad, and total cost of ownership for a rather classy daily driver has been very low overall.

Still, the ones made since Ford has taken over have been vastly improved.

posted by  ChrisV

What's this crap about? Advertiser my ass. What are you stupid or something? Post whore :cussing:

posted by  DodgeRida67

First of all I am NOT an advertiser. I included a link to my signature so that FORD and JAG would know who I am. No anonymous posting here. I told the debt manager that I was going to speak out about what they are doing and how they treat customers and he said he did not care. He said he would have his boss call me but he never called...because they do not care. They have a historical reputation and think that they can piss on people and ride out because of their reputation. When it was UK Jaguar they would have never let something like this happen!!! Speaks volumes of FORD...and their management

posted by  cigars

Posting your name or the name of the dealer, the manager, and the salesperson would accomplish that...

When you know what you are commenting about, you can then have an opinion...until then keep the comments to yourself!

You, yourself, have done basicly the same thing, only it concerned BMW. :badrazz:

posted by  lectroid

If you think that posting your name on a message board is a good idea....this is what I think of your idea:screwy:.....

posted by  cigars

Exactly!

You're wanting to post "your" website...AND...it wouldn't be the first time someone has done that or allowed for the easy find.

But this still leaves the posting of the Dealerships name, the managers name, and the salespersons name. If anything it lends some credibility to your story and allows others to investigate a little further if it peeks their interest.

Your Message