Poll: which do you like better?

Home  \  European Imports  \  Poll: which do you like better?

:banana: Do you like the MGB or the Sunbeam Tiger better?

posted by  MOPAR

Jus between us . . . More than half of the ppl here dont kno wat ur talking about . . . :screwy:

posted by  Denis0727

You sure do make alot of polls. Yeah I have no idea what you are talking about. Possible some pictures?

posted by  DSMer

MGB anyday :thumbs:

posted by  Car Nirvana

Your topic is in the European section... I think that I know a lot about European cars... But I have to admit, Ive never heard neither of the cars that u mention...

posted by  Starscream13

There both brit cars

MGB

http://www.sportscarrentals.com/images/mgb.jpg

Sunbeam Tiger

http://www.bilavefur.com/myndasafn/1967%20Sunbeam%20Tiger-liteblue-fVr=mx=. jpg

:thumbs:

posted by  Car Nirvana

Ohh u mean MG the car manufacturer... Lol i was trying to figure out what an MGB is... :banghead: :wink2:

posted by  Starscream13

btw Starscream congratulations on the football :clap: :thumbs: :wink2: I was hoping you would win because Portugal knocked us out :cussing: :doh:

posted by  Car Nirvana

yeah but he has made a good poll, and who cares alot of the time you americans are stuck in your own little world why can we have our lil world aswell.

posted by  cinqyg

the lotus tiger was a nice piece of machinary, B's are a bit to comman if you want a larger 4 seater rag top from the 70's buy a TR6 much more style power and class. (personally prefer the TR5 but little on the pricy side).

The B GT is horrid, GT6 any day of the week.

well theres a poll for you, Triumph or MG?

posted by  cinqyg

I have to say i hate the back of the TR6 :puke:

posted by  Car Nirvana

o.k. :smoke:

I gave the MG my vote, in spite that I like both ones. The third one I'm missing. What about a Truimph Spitfire? (That would be my real favorit) :smoke:

posted by  lutz

Total agreement. Yes, what about Triumph? Any of their cars I'd prefer, but I'm more of a fan of the TR3 and TR6 myself, moreso than the Spitfire, anyway.

posted by  Patrick

A buddy of mine had a TR 3 and was driving with that beautiful car trough all seasons, now he's gone to Spain where the sunny weather is... :smoke:

posted by  lutz

Aigh. Sometimes I just can't stand it when people drive occasional-use vehicles year-round. Take my friend Megan for example. Here in Kentucky, the weather is pretty temperate, but we can get some HELLACIOUS winters. This year was no exception; it was pretty bad. Well, her father had a Corvette Z06 that he sold because he was sick of driving it around and having it slide everywhere on the snow. I wanted to say, "You shouldn't be driving it in 20 degree (that's fahrenheit for all you non-'Merican folk out there) weather. Nor is a Corvette made to be driven in snow, so quit complaining." So then he goes and buys a Touraeg. Go figure.

posted by  Patrick

Of the two, I like the B better, preferrably a '73 with the chrome bumper. I have a '78 that I'd like to convert back to the chrome bumper and go with V8 power, and I'm doing restoration on a '77 for a friend, as well as building a factory style MGB GT V8 for him.

And of course, our little brit friend has a completely negative opinion on those cars, even though most collectors and MGB club members (including those FROM England) seem to think the GTs are great cars. I'm beginning to think that the better the car ACTUALLY is, the more he dislikes it.

I will admit, however, that MG purists tend to be some of the worst kind of uppity snobs, and are really unwilling to appreciate any car that isn't completely standard (well, maybe some slack is given to pure race cars, and little things like uprated steering wheels).

While I've spent time with Sunbeam tiger owners, I haven't dealt too much with the owners of the Alpines (the 4 cyl versions teh Ford V8 powered Tiger was built from). I do like the clean lines of the Tiger, however.

Which doesn't explain why I'm driving a Fiat Spider right now.. ;)

posted by  ChrisV

well... that may be a good thing. People who drive like that dont deserve to have nice cars. if i had a vette id baby it so bad.

posted by  Wonderbread7608

The MG gets my Vote :thumbs: wicked sporty lil car.. been in one recently and posted pics of a few MG's and other classics in the classic car area. Hats off to both brillant cars though :smoke:

posted by  Lukaz

Ah, now we're talking!

First off, the Tiger is a 'special': it's a seriously quick version of the Sunbeam Alpine, which uses a small block Ford V8. The Tiger is a competitor for the MGB GT V8: the Sunbeam Alpine is a competitor for the MGB. Interestingly, the Sunbeam never quite cracked 100 mph, which the B can manage quite easily (this used to be a big deal in the UK: the Healey 100 is so named because it could crack the ton!)

I prefer the MGB's styling. I've had 4 MGB GTs, here's my latest one:

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=299&stc=1

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=300&stc=1

It's a factory-built, genuine MGB GT V8, using the Rover V8 (sourced from the Buick 215ci engine). It only produces 137 bhp, but it has 195 lbf ft of torque, which is enough to be quicker than any Triumph ever produced! I've only had it for a week, but I'm never going to sell it. They only built 2,600 of these cars, so I guess it's fairly rare.

There's a friendly rivalry between Triumph and MG owners (a bit like Chevys and Fords in the USA, I guess). I've driven a few Triumphs, and I quite like them, but they're all a bit too soft (with the exception of the GT6, which is excellent, if you're tiny enough to fit in it). I'm a confirmed MG fan.

PS: why don't my pictures appear??

posted by  heebee

Your Message