Advice regarding Saabs

Home  \  European Imports  \  Advice regarding Saabs

Hi there,

I'm new here so go easy ;) I was curious if anyone really knew from first hand experience or any reading whether or not the Saab 9-3 was a good, quality car.

I was interested in the 2003+ 9-3 Arc and was just questioning the reliability of the car. I have read tons and tons of mixed reviews, so I figured I would ask people who may actually know.

Any help would be appreciated, just curious what people think about this particular make/model.

posted by  DynomitE

This seem's to be a very strange subject because they are know'n here in the EU as very good and reliable cars. so good infact sometimes they are knowen as BMW's with a better image.
But in the US it seem's they have poor reliability
Well thats all i can say because I dont know much about the GM 'Saabs'
Im more into the pre GM's vvv as u can see :thumbs:

posted by  Car Nirvana

I was recently at a wedding (i posted this on another thread) where a guy who owned a new 9-3 and said it was very problem-matic. He referred to it as a Jaguar when it comes to repairs (in other words $$$$). I wouldn't recommend them. On the 3-year dependability update JD Power ranked the 2001 series of Saabs to be just average with the auto industry. So it's nothing to write home about. This survery though doesn't tell the cost of the reapirs though and that is what seems to make the biggest dent in Jaguar and Saab owner's pockets.

Some other cars you might want to look at include the new TL ($32,000) and TSX ($27,000). Both are excellent cars for the money. I also recommend looking at a G35 ($27k-$32k) as they are good cars too.

posted by  thunderbird1100

I'm thinking to buy the same car. A buddy of mine has a used convertible, I drove it very often, it's reliable with an affordable service. :smoke:

posted by  lutz

As I said though it seems to differ between the US and the EU

posted by  Car Nirvana

I actually test drove a 04 Linear used with 6,500 miles on it and was quite impressed. The turbo was quite fun and I felt like it drove like a dream.

In comparison my dad had a 325i that was a company car, and I drove it and felt the Saab was much more convenient and comfortable. My girlfriend rode in the back and preferred it to the BMW as in backseat comfort.

Still thinking of my options here, but in reality this car drove very well and would be quite better gas wise, compared to my 2000 Mountaineer :thumbs:

posted by  DynomitE

I've driven a 9-3, and it's horrible when pushed. The chassis is lousy. The interior is quite pleasant, and I like the look of the car, but it really isn't worth the money over the Vauxhall Cavalier floorpan that it's based on.

It's fidgety over bumps, suffers from bumpsteer, and understeers like a ship. The only positive thing I could say about the handling is that it's better than the Volvo S40, which isn't saying much at all. Neither of these have much feel to the steering, either.

posted by  heebee

I have also driven a 9-3 and your right the handling and suspension could use some upgrades but they are not bad cars, over all I would give them a 6.5 out of 10. They are pretty fun cars, but have room for improvement.

posted by  Zalight

Its the american buy out factor i feel, the S40 isnt a real volvo, you dont get in it and feel like you invicible. The big volvos still have that feel. the V70 is probibly the most in keeping. But nothing is quite like a 740 for antique dealer power.

posted by  cinqyg

Your Message