Need a winter car - S4 vs. WRX STi - help me decide

Home  \  European Imports  \  Need a winter car - S4 vs. WRX STi - help me decide

help guys...i need a winter car soon! I got a 2003 Mercedes-Benz SLK32 this spring and I need a winter car to drive while my baby is hibernating. Which do you think I should get? Any other suggestions welcome also. Thanks

posted by  MILFhunter

S4

its better all around (more comfortable, easy to drive, etc.) and will still smoke the STi with that beautiful V8. :drool:

posted by  SuperJew

WRX STi for sure but just cuz i think there so f*ckin badass :thumbs:

posted by  240sx

go with the STi, the s4 is a sick car dont get me wrong but the STi is better for the money. The s4 cost 55k where the STi cost 35k, are you willing to pay $20,000 for more room and 40 more horsepower? they are both all wheel drive vehicles, both have six speed transmissions, and both are beautiful cars. But the s4 is a V8 with 15/21mpg and the STi is a boxer 4, the same engine in many porsches with 18/24mpg.

The STi is also a faster car; 0-60 in 5.6, quarter mile in 14.1@97.6mph
The s4; 0-60 in 5.8, quarter mile in 14.3@98 mph

So go for the STi, unless you can get a hold of one of the Badass inline six twin turbo s4's but i doubt it.

posted by  Zalight

You gotta be a crack head to think that just because a car has 4 more cyliders then another, its faster. just look at the stats above and cry yourself to sleep my friend, the STi is faster.

posted by  Zalight

nah, im not saying its better because it has two more cylinders. im saying its better because its easier to drive on a day-to-day basis. keep in mind this will be MILFhunter's day-to-day car...

posted by  SuperJew

Yeah the truth is...this is just my winter car...I mean i have the SLK to drive in the spring, summer, and fall, and that car is really amazing; and the winter car is going to sit in the garage/my son will drive it when he is here, so I don't need anything amazing. I just really like the STi and it's AWD/3 LSDs/ground clearance. Any other suggestions besides these two? I'm ready to spend around 30-40K probably on second thought...the S4 is not looking so great in my mind anymore. Thanks

posted by  MILFhunter

you said LSD. *beavis and butthead laugh*

:laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

made a mistake, those QM times were taken @6000 feet above sea level, so take about two seconds off each.

posted by  Zalight

i would definately go for the S4.

"mmmmmmmmmm.... beefy"

posted by  Inygknok

Evo MR, way less than a S4 and would kill either a S4 or STi.

posted by  thunderbird1100

14.1 and 14.3 for these cars? WTF...

The STi is a low low 13 second car and the S4 is a mid 13 second car i believe.

I've seen on t.v.a STi pull a 12.75 and 12.79 pass through a ton of runs (all stock).

Hell with those stats a GT Mustang (99+ 260hp) would beat both of them, and it's not even close.

Inline six twin turbo? In an Audi?? Inline???
Audi was building V6 Biturbos, but no inlines. In ealier years they had 5 cyl inlines, but no 6. :smoke:

The only three carmakers in the world who still building inline 6 are BMW, Ford (Aston Martin/Volvo) , Jeep (DaimlerChrysler) and Toyota (for Lexus).

posted by  lutz

Yes and I fixed my mistake... If you read all the posts you would see that I said that the times were taken at 6000 feet above sea level, so take about two seconds off(a little less acually). The air up here is thinner, less oxygen means less combustability means less power. So acount for that and you have a high twelve low 13...No offense taken from your rather hostile post just please make sure you read all the posts before verbally bashing someone.

posted by  Zalight

Yeah, my mistake. I was talking about one of the 2002 2.7 liter twinturbo v6 s4's, That makes for two major brain farts in one week. :banghead:

posted by  Zalight

I never read the entire thread..so it's to thier loss if they screw-up :)

I was never verbally bashing you, just those stats.

No probs :smoke:
Nobody knows all cars of the world (including me) :wink2:

posted by  lutz

you wanna go with a nice winter car thats 4WD, go with the infinity G35. its cheaper than both of them, got decent horsepower, super nice interior, trust me youll get the bang for your buck.

posted by  High Octane

OKAY. STI doesn't share an engine with Porsche for one.

second of all bi-turbo V6 S4s are not too hard to come by.

back to the question of whcih one though?
Are you going for used or new, or a combo? new of each, i'd go for the STI because of the prices. used of each i'd go with the bi-turbo V6, previous generation, S4. If you're going for the V8 S4 be prepared to pay more. but you probably already know this.

posted by  mischa

The first boxer engine was made in 1921, it was a flat two designed for a motorcycle made by BMW. In 1936 Ferdinand Porsche designed the first beetle using the same engine design as that motorcycle but making it a 4 cylinder instead. Then In 1948 Porsche was designing the Porsche 356 with his son but died shortly after the prototype was made. The car used many volkswagen parts, including the engine from the beetle with forged pistons that brought up the compression ratio to give it more power (still only had 40 bhp and topped out at about 85 miles an hour.) Porsche continued using flat engine designes in many of its vehicles including the 911 series. When the subaru WRC team was amking a rally impreza the guys at STI and an ex engineer from porsche were kicking around the Idea of a flat 6 but then put in a flat four instead. That WRC engine was then used in the first WRX, in 1992. So thank BMW, ferdinand porsche and the unnamed ex-porsche engineer for the current STI.

So I guess I was right in the first place and Porsche did have something to do with the STIs engine.

posted by  Zalight

alrite it looks like you know a lot more about this engine than i do (i'd like to hear more about the wankel too!)

but does the STI that this guy can purchase have an identical engine to a certain porsche or is it just very similar

posted by  mischa

Have you thought about an SUV? Just wondering... you can get a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited for about $35,000. But if you're looking for a sedan, go with a BMW 330Xi or an Infiniti G35 with 4 wheel drive. If you're not interested just go for an Impreza or Evo.

posted by  moostang104314

No, but its very similar, were talking small differences. Mainly those that have to be in place in order to support the turbocharger setup on the subaru.
It's like the k20a and the k24a, same engine minor differences in bore, stroke, etc.

Actually that was a bad example, they are to different, liters off by .4 is too big too ignore.

If you want to learn more about the Wankel go to http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm

Read all the sections and you'll have a pretty good understanding.

posted by  Zalight

www.rotaryengineillustrated.com/ <---- best site to know about the wankel rotary engine.

the only thing Porsche and Subaru share is the engine design, as in they both use flat engines. they each execute their own ideas on their own.

posted by  Inygknok

[QUOTE=moostang104314]Have you thought about an SUV? Just wondering... you can get a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited for about $35,000.QUOTE]

$35,000 msrp, about $25,000 with all the rebates...lol

Plus I don't think he wants to be replacing the transmission every 60,000 miles and having new brakes put on every oil change :laughing: If you ever go to a general mechanics shop, ask them what they see when they see a Jeep come in, it should be something to the effect of, $$$$$$$.

That reminds me of a good story;

I was at my local porsche dealer the other day sitting in the GT3 making vrooming noises as I shifted gears, when a porsche FTCM walked up and we started talking. I said that I would love to have his job and work on porsches all day, but then he said hes lucky if he sees two porsches a day in the shop. I asked why and he said that "most of the cars that come in are Audis and mercedes", which are the other brands the dealer sells. But when I asked him if its because they sell more of those then porsches he said
"No we sell a hell of a lot of porsches, the reason the don't come in is that they are so damn reliable." :laughing:

I had good chuckle at that then went back to carressing the carbon fiber accents in the GT3.

posted by  Zalight

Porsches are very reliable...ONe of the fewer very high end manufacturers up there on dependability (believe it or not, Land Rover is rated the WORST in dependability). Even ferrari isn't high up there...but yeah, Saabs,Audis and Benz' remain pretty either so-so or bad in reliability.

If I had the option of getting either of these cars I would much rather get the 04 S4. I find the S4 to be much more classy and an every day car. If you are looking for a used car then I would recomend the S4 V6 Bi-Turbo. The S4 comes stock with 250 hp, but with about $2,000 you can have it pumping over 350 hp. The S4 is a sleeper. Those who are into mustangs and camaros have no idea what the s4 is. If you pull up to someone sitting at a light in a mustang and rev, they don't know whats going on. Then you run them like nothing happend.

posted by  S4driven2k

hey, i read ur question, and from a girls perspective..the STI, SO much hotter. the s4's remind me of like a neon...sorry.

posted by  alex96

then again..im not a big fan of audi's...mom had one, didn't go so well.

posted by  alex96

Dont you have a VW 1.8? That is an Audi A4 1.8T without it Audi badgeing and very slight changes in sheetmetal. Sorry pal, but you just put down your own car.

As to the topic: This is a hard one... the Audi Quattro system is almost second to none, as well as the Subaru system, but I must say that for lots of winter driving try a S4 or a Subaru Impreza WRX. It doesnt have as much power (only 227 hp I believe) and it doesnt have the same amount of brute power, and is much more controlled. But if you want lots of power, perhaps more than you need, go to the STi it is the match for the S4. If you want a Subaru get the STi, I forgot that it was a S4 not a regular A4. The S4's 4.2 V8 (I believe) would be the match for an STi. Go for the STi.
:2cents:
A Audi doesnt look like a Neon... what are u thinking?

posted by  StiMan

hold up...did i say nething was wrong with my car? nope didn't think so..my mom had a bad experience with audi's, so many problems..so she moved on to a Lexus GS 430. Not a bad car. 2nd, what was i thinking when i said i thought it looked like a neon..i was thinking the same thing im thinking now..it still does..maybe a lil bigger.

posted by  alex96

yeah....what STi man is trying to say is that Audis and VWs are built on the same platforms, with a good number of shared parts and accessories. example: that 1.8 engine you have in your VW probably was used in your mom's Audi. I'm willing to bet that your VW has the same chassis as an A4.

why is all this happening? Audi is a part of the VW Group. The whole VW Group shares to a certain extent.

EDIT: how do Audi's look like neons?!?!

to refresh your memory...

This is a NEON.
http://alaskanautos.com/Images/2001/DODGE_NEON.jpg

This is an AUDI A4.
http://www.fendertrim.com.au/Catalogue/Wheels/wheels%20lorinser%20RS1%2018% 20(fitted%20audi%20a4%20large).jpg

You seem to be the only one to confuse the two.... :screwy:

posted by  SuperJew

Exactly SJ, thanks! :thumbs:

Actually the A4 you used was the previous model, but still makes the same point I guess.

posted by  StiMan

im pretty sure, my mom wouldn't drive the same car as her daughter. ha, she drove an A8. and it had too many problems. i didn't say ya'll had to think they look like a neon, i think they do tho. and basically my point was from the start..is that i personally like the STI MUCH better. get over it already!

posted by  alex96

unfortunately your mom still let you get a car that is technically similar/the same as an Audi. period. end of story.

posted by  SuperJew

And you put down an Audi (you said I dont like audis) so therefore you put down your care given that both autos are made by VW auto group. Just wanted to make sure you dont say that kinda of incorrect stuff where it really counts: on the street. Good luck racing! :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Hey alex 96, take a look at my location.

posted by  Zalight

dude if you say S4 vs. STI than i would go with the STI

if you say S4 vs. M3 than i would go for the S4

if you say STI vs. EVO8 than i would go with STI

posted by  BigBadBrat

.....STI is a full flesh rally car..in that case its perfect for this winter season! thats why i reccomend STI over S4. S4 is a everyday jean and STI is a sweat pant.

posted by  BigBadBrat

what??? :ohcrap:

that made absolutely no sense. period.

posted by  SuperJew

I have no clue what you just said...? :screwy:

posted by  StiMan

The Sti is to the sweatpants as the S4 is to the jeans. Which means that the S4 is better for everyday use. In his opinion. Advice to dude who cant spell, learn plural words!! Now :thumbs:

posted by  Step Up

yeah whatever smart ass(es)

posted by  BigBadBrat

I would say go with the STi. My (ex for the moment) boyfriend has had one since July and they are such a great car. It whips around like nothing. Granted right now he has done a lot of different things to it but even when it was stock he ran a pretty good time up at the track. Theyre a dependable car, decent ride, small to park anywhere, awd, sporty looking, theres the option of where you want the power displaced and everything,different...anyone can pick out that wing :smoke:. And...if its dry out you can pretty much take anything on the road with that thing! STi all the way!

posted by  turbochic

i would go for the S4 anytime. quality-wise, european vs. japanese car, obviously the Audi is better. performance-wise, both are hardcore cars, but the S4 is more road-based while the STi is rally-tuned.

posted by  hurricane

*Cough* Bullshit *Cough*

That is entirely not true. Japanese cars are high-quality, especially Subarus. They have increadibly high reliability ratings, often much higher than European Cars. You cant go around spreading bullshit without proof, I want to see it. :banghead:

posted by  StiMan

the point is for what you want the winter car

the audi is a sporty sedan, fast accelerating and comfortable
the scooby is a hardcore sports car, a brother of the wrc
both cars are really high quality and reliabel

posted by  alfagiggi

it all depends if you like sporty performance or luxery performance. the sti is a great car but the audi is just as fast and it has more to offer...i say go with the audi. but hey its not for me to dicide

posted by  speedbiscuit

here is another idea...why dont you go test drive both cars and see wich one you like better...i had to do the same thing when i was diciding on a audi rs4 and an mitsu. evo VII, and the evo is very much like the sti.....i chose the audi, plus the only thing better about the sti is the slalom speed
oh yeah, dont listen to sti man, or whatever the hell his name is, he doesnt know sh*t

posted by  speedbiscuit

Thats nice. I cant say anything relating to your opinion being shit without you having crappy proof. So, lets see it. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

first of all what's your price limit?

posted by  tater tot

no, just buy a ****ing dodge dokota and be ****ing done with it.

if you want to have a better appearance go for the audi

if you want performance and feel and dont care about your appearance, then by all means go with the Suburu.

posted by  SNiPeRViRuS

Let this thread rest. The original poster of this thread was killed in a car crash
in Sept 04.

posted by  lectroid

You could always get a Vw R32. It's about 29-30k and it's all wheel drive, 0-60 is about 5.6 and it tops out at 150mph. The s4 would still be the best choice i think because the STI doesn't have a audio. Actually just do what speedbicuit said and take them for a test drive.

posted by  tater tot

are you shitting me? Is he really dead?

posted by  SNiPeRViRuS

Yes I am.& I don't have a clue.

posted by  lectroid

I currently own and DD a 2004 STI. It is an AMAZING car in the winter. With a good set of Blizaaks nothing will stop you. I live in western Montana, drive in the moutains daily. When tbe tail does slide it is so perfectly predictable and controllable. I have never felt more confident in the snow. Especially putting the dccd in full lock.
After a very easy turbo back exhaust and a tune (stg 2) the STI will flat smoke an s4 off tbe line. Anything after 80 is a different story

The subie once a warranty runs out will be much less expensive to maintain.

Gas mileage you can expect to be similar. Oil changes will occur more often with an STI over the s4. 3500 miles compared to 5000 and 4.5 quarts instead of 9 just some other things to think about.

That being said the STI is not nearly as comfortable as the s4. Road noise rin
creases greatly. If you are buying new both have excellent warranties

awdaddict   25 Apr 2012 06:58

Your Message