car identification

Home  \  European Imports  \  car identification

ok, im peobably buyin a bmw soon... ive seen it, ive driven it, but i dont know what kind it is. its from 1985... why dont i know what it is? well, because the guy that has it imported it from germany, and ive never seen one like it before. the thing that sets it apart is that act that the headlights, instead of being round, are rectangular... please help, im really curious

posted by  mazda6man

umm... m6m... this might just be me but, i wouldn't buy it if i didn't know what it was... and if this guy went to the trouble to import it from germany then i'm guessin he'd have a pretty good idea of what it is. lol. but, i don't have the slightest idea as to what it could be... i'm guessin bavarianwheels would know tho. u could try to give him a Private message. sorry i couldn't help.

posted by  ChevySuxD0ng

<---doesn't have the slightest idea...a pic might help. But it sounds like someone might've put custom lighting on the car...who knows.

posted by  BavarianWheels

i just kinda figured you might know considering u r such a diehard Bimmer fan.

posted by  ChevySuxD0ng

could it be an M1?

posted by  SuperJew

It's quite possible...I'd be a bit jealous though...
http://www.classicscars.com/bmw/m1d/car3.jpg

um superjew, did you notice he said 1985? urs is a pic of a 76... i've never seen that model b4 tho... maybe they made them all the way to '85 but i doubt it considering i've never seen that one b4, but then again maybe i'm just sheltered lol...

posted by  ChevySuxD0ng

yeah cuz we NEVER see M1s in the U.S. and i dunno- i just looked for an M1 picture, not a specific year. i can check out what years the M1 was sold though. ill get back to ya when i do that.

posted by  SuperJew

sounds good.

posted by  ChevySuxD0ng

heres a drawing i made in paint... i dont have an actual pic

posted by  mazda6man

but nah, its not an m1... i wouldnt mind one though

on the back though, inbetween the taillights there is a large reflector piece thing that says "bavarian motorian workes" (sp?) it says something like that

posted by  mazda6man

i finally found a real pic of the type of car, but it doesnt say what the model is, (the site was messed up "error 404")

posted by  mazda6man

i think i just found out the name, but to me it doesnt sound like a name bmw would have given, but hey, im not sure... it said "twotone"

posted by  mazda6man

Looks like a 3 series....but anyone that defaces a Bimmer like that...surely has no idea what they are doing...I'd rethink the sale.

nah, it was sold like that, thats how it came

posted by  mazda6man

No, Wheels is absolutely correct. That's an '80's 3-series with a Rinspeed grille conversion. Very popular in Europe several years ago, though I never understood why. Jeez it even has the Rinspeed plate on the front.

posted by  vwhobo

I think I might know what BMW it is.I think it is a BMW 6series(the old one)Here's a pic.

posted by  vwmaniac

Uh yeah, okay. What year did the 6-series come with rectangular headlamps. None between 1976 and 1989. Please respond and make me aware.

posted by  vwhobo

The L6.IT was the luxury version of the 635CSI.It had rectangular headlamps, it was produced in 1987.

posted by  vwmaniac

Okay, I'll take your word for it, when you produce a picture. At any rate he's already shown a pic of the car and it's a 3-series.

posted by  vwhobo

Here's your pic.

posted by  vwmaniac

Good job. Notice the ROUND headlamps.

posted by  vwhobo

LOL.Aren't they rectangular???????

posted by  vwmaniac

Is there any question in your mind why there's so many jokes about us?

posted by  vwhobo

ok, i finally took some annitiative to go and get some pics

posted by  mazda6man

another

posted by  mazda6man

and the last one

posted by  mazda6man

as you can see, it needs some work, and a washing, but that shouldnt be to hard

posted by  mazda6man

Lookin solid man... What's the mileage?
Will you keep the Mazda?

posted by  Unfedfat

i dont know the milage. i dunno about the mazda, the payments are so high on it, so i dunno, id like to keep it, but dont know

posted by  mazda6man

Let me give you some unsolicited advise about the car you're looking at. First off it's a mid '80's 3-series, US spec, probably a 318I, based on what looks to me like drum brakes in the rear. If you say it's an '85 I believe you.

Now for the important part. I can see the base sticker on the windshield and know where you're located at so I can safely say it belongs or belonged to a GI who brought it back from Germany. I can assure you this car has been run hard and put away wet it's entire life, trust me I know. Because of that it'll cost you more to repair and maintain long term than if you buy one in good shape for a little more from a local owner. Unless it's free pass on the deal.

posted by  vwhobo

Hey,it's a 3 series!!!!!

posted by  vwmaniac

nevermind.Vwhobo already clarified that.

posted by  vwmaniac

talk about "paying attention to details"......... hehe nice catch

posted by  Unfedfat

Unfortunately I tend to cause trouble because I pay too close of attention.

posted by  vwhobo

the things i know about it, is that its actually all wheel disc brakes. hes not a gi, he works for the local newspaper company and he makes deliveriesto the base. he bought it in germany and imported it over here (the guy likes haveing cars) and most all the internals on it are new, new tranny, clutch, and axel. and the ngine is clean, ive seen it. it runs great, ive test driven it and everything. the only problem of the story is that i never asked him what model it was, just assuming it was a 3 series. (smart move eh?) but yeh, thanks for helpin me find out what it is

posted by  mazda6man

Where exactly would a newspaper delivery guy get an 18 year old US spec BMW from in Germany? Nevermind, I have a nice tall needle looking building in Seattle for sale, cheap.

posted by  vwhobo

hurhurhur... he said he bought it there, ive known him for a while and hes always been a pretty honest guy (parents' friend)

and hes not exactly a "dilivery guy" he takes the newspaper vending machine things down there...and its not half bad pay

posted by  mazda6man

I'll assume you mean he bought it when he lived there. What exactly was his occupation?

posted by  vwhobo

i edited a part of my last post, but thats his occupation... but anyways... no, he didnt live there, he, i guess knows someone from there, and had them buy it, he paid them back, then had it imported over

posted by  mazda6man

It's still US spec, look at the bumpers. That almost certainly (99.99%)means it belonged to a GI at one time. My opinion stands.

posted by  vwhobo

ok, thats all fine by me, im not tryin to start a stupid argument... and an opinion is an opinion, its all well and fine

posted by  mazda6man

I like the one driving light... ;)

I don't care for the square look...but I'm sure the rest of it must be ok.

BW's mention of the custom single driving light reminded me of this. That appears to be a Zender grille conversion and body kit. If so it's very high quality stuff (fact) but kinda ugly (opinion).

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message