how does the 1.8T boost at idle?

Home  \  European Imports  \  how does the 1.8T boost at idle?

my freind who works at the dealership and I having been pondering this. How does it do that?!? I have never seen that happen before. Crazy german engineering...

posted by  Low Impedance

errrrr.....it doesn't. All turbos have turbo lag of some kind. The only explanation I can think of is that the turbine is incredibly small, so it kicks in in the lower RPM range.

But, my friends GTI 1.8T doesn't boost until he's halfway up the RPM range, so I don't really see how it boosts at idle.

posted by  Godlaus

we might gauge test it. this is on the 2005 models. maybe this one has some problems with the gauge...put there is alot of weird things about those. like, you can have it in first and release the clutch if its parked and not stall...

posted by  Low Impedance

it uses a variable vane system(reffered to as elctronic boost regulation) it moves the vanes on the turbine so that the exhaust hits it at a certain angle making it more efficient

posted by  carlos

Is this an Audi 1.8T or a VW? It doesnt really matter I guess, same engine. I am just asking though. My family had a A4 1.8T, and it was a pretty good car. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

Your Message