Hydraulic Handbrake

Home  \  Motorsports  \  Hydraulic Handbrake

Hi,

I am currently undertaking my 3rd year uni project. I plan to design a handbrake lever for fast road cars (road legal) and rally applications, which is capable of activating a hydraulic rear brake system. The lever will work on a pull release action similar to that found in a WRC car.

At present I’m researching information on existing hydraulic handbrakes and trying to establish the extent of the market for such a product.

If you could take the time to let me know if you or anyone you know would be interested in such a product, the type of application it would be used for or alternatively if you know anyone who already uses one. Also any information on the subject, books, websites etc it would be highly appreciated.

posted by  Ted_Mecheng

The handbrake, is supposed to be a purely mechanical device designed to be able to be operated in case of hydraulic system failure of the service brakes. Making it work WITH the stock hydraulic system kind of defeats the purpose.

Yes, a couple new luxury models do it, as well as certain race cars (as you noted). But the liability ramifications are HUGE in a mass marketed device for public consumption.

Of course, you COULD try something like this:

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/cas/cas/themes/products/ele ctronic_brake_and_safety_systems/parking_brake_1003_en.html

But I'd say they already have the patents covered...

posted by  ChrisV

[QUOTE=ChrisV]The handbrake, is supposed to be a purely mechanical device designed to be able to be operated in case of hydraulic system failure of the service brakes. Making it work WITH the stock hydraulic system kind of defeats the purpose.

The design would Incorperate a back up mechanical system to avoid a lack of brakes due to hydraulic failure. Thanks for your input

posted by  Ted_Mecheng

wait, isn't that kind of redundant? brakes + hydraulic brakes + another e-brake?

posted by  dodgerforlife

Yup. The handbrake IS the mechanical back up system. So all you're doing in this case is replacing the back up mechanical system with a secondary hydraulic system AND another backup mechanical system... And we'd want to pay for this for what reason?

posted by  ChrisV

I think my approach has been miss interpreted. My intention is to create a hydraulic handbrake system, to provide the user with increased power to the rear brakes, while retaining a mechanical back up (the cable). The electrical avenue was not one with which I intended to follow. I hope this clears up any confusion.

posted by  Ted_Mecheng

thats still pretty redundant if you ask me. you'd have your normal brakes, operated with the pedal, and increased rear braking with a hydraulic lever...and then the mechanical e-brake... why not just design more efficient and more powerful brakes, rather then adding on another "set"?

posted by  dodgerforlife

The intention is not to add another set of brakes, it is to allow the user to lock the rear wheels independently from the front. For the propose of Rallying and drifting etc etc.

posted by  Ted_Mecheng

so in other words, to give more stupid people the power to lock their ass end without using the e-brake. nice.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Your Message