Nascar is Boring

Home  \  Motorsports  \  Nascar is Boring

I think that Nascar is very boring :sleep: Reasons:

1. Watching 50 cars go around in circles about 500 times

2. Too many restrictions

I mean really. From what I know about the "sport" the first event of the season is the biggest. What sense does that make? Anyway this is my opinion. Maybe someone can persway me into liking it a little

posted by  DJ Nonsense

Why would we want to, you seem to already have your mind made up. Here's the beauty of it. You don't have to sit down, turn on the TV and watch it. End of problem. Simple.

posted by  vwhobo

If you don't like it why would you want to? Just find something else to like. take up some sort of sport, or even my favorite, its enjoyable, free (maby not to you, but thats you issue) fun, takes up ALOT of your free time(if you don't have any you should make some), makes you fitter and is possibly the best thing ever...SEX. :drool: :mrgreen: :smoke: :hi: :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

Uh yeah thats the easy way of looking at it. To be honest with you its not a problem. So there is no ending to it. Simple. But the simple thing is I didn't say you have to persway me into liking it. I just said can you help me understand and appericate the "sport". Tell me why you like it. That is if you like it. Or someone that does tell me why. Cause I don't understand whats so exciting about it. Maybe I will after I hear it from a fans point of view. Hell I might even become a fan.

posted by  DJ Nonsense

Fair enough, that makes more sense, I won't try to "persway" you but I'll give you some facts and opinions.

By NASCAR I'll assume you mean Nextel Cup, because NASCAR covers many different types of racing. First you'll never see more than 43 NC cars on the track at once and very few races are 500 laps. Second like EVERY form of motorsports there are restrictions, many for safety and the rest to ensure equality in competition.

What it's really about is the strategy and skill of the teams. Yes teams. While the driver gets most of the credit, without the team working as a cohesive unit the driver wouldn't even finish a race much less win it. Really I could type all day and not explain it as well as you just watching one race. And I don't mean casually watching, I mean actively paying attention and listening to what's happening. Sounds like something you should try next Sunday.

posted by  vwhobo

In addition to what wvhobo said, maybe go out to a local fairgrounds, and find a local circle track team to crew with. See the car preparation, and what it takes to be competetive at that level. Then scale that up to see what it might take to be competetive at the regional and national level.

There's a LOT that goes on in the top forms of the sport. it takes athleticism on the part of not just the drivers, but the crew members. Any one little peice of the puzzle goes wrong and that can make the difference between winning, and not even finishing the race.

Just in the racing alone, the drivers have a lot to do. While it looks like there is just left turns, there is also left and right movement in the groups. There are shifting alliances to team up and get to the front, then you have to fight for position with people who just helped you get there. Short tracks have huge amount of accelleration on the straight shutes, and heavy braking into the corners. it takes a lot out of a driver, and it works the car very hard. And then pit work can take all that hard work on the track and make it all go away. And vice versa, good pit work can improve your standings.

ANY racing can be boring if you don't understand what you're watching. And often even if you do. F1 can be a parade of cars that doesn't change much from the first lap to the end, other than breakage. If you watch WRC live from a location they are racing, you wait a long time between cars, and when you see them, it's a brief cloud of dust, and they are gone. That can be boring (which is why TV replays after thae fact cut out all the boring bits and show highlights...). I love autocrossing, but I can't watch a video of all the days events replayed. It's seriously boring for the most part.

posted by  ChrisV

Thanks for the heads up guys. I live about 10 miles from Atlanta Motor Speedway. I might have to get tickets to see the next race when it comes again to AMS. Till then I will check it out this Sunday :mrgreen:

posted by  DJ Nonsense

i can't believe you are just now figuring that out :laughing:

posted by  enron fever

yeah I must say i've never been a large auto racing fan...i prefer soccer.

posted by  SuperJew

Sure u like playing "SPORTS" :laughing: yeah and "SEX" might be the best thing for you, but good luck on finding a actual girl :wink2:

posted by  lOgiC

what is it with you??!?! why must you be an asshole to people you don't know and did NOTHING to you?

posted by  SuperJew

Personally I am no fan of nascar either. But I love the road racing and Bristol.

posted by  Integra_LS

IMHO, Formula One cannot be beat.

Rally Car and Touring Car races are also pretty neat.

posted by  Sonreir

well if you like watchin them wreck........

posted by  Hiens

Oh yes the wrecks are superb! Nothing beats the rally wrecks though, seeing some hill climb racers tumble! Although when I do see a wreck I hope they are not injured, and especially not killed.

posted by  Integra_LS

Actually I already knew this just now decided to post about it.

Wrecks are cool eh Intergra LS? Kids these days! :mrgreen: :smoke:

posted by  DJ Nonsense

Well, wrecks can be pretty cool if you look at it from the veiw of destruction. But GOD forbid, that there any injuries in the crashes

posted by  Coffin Type R

I love F1 cars. I am bored to tears by F1 races. And I can't stand the whiny primadonnas that pass for F1 drivers these days.

WRC is definitely more enjoyable to me. I used to be big on DTM, before they stopped using production cars.

posted by  ChrisV

I agree, I cant stand watching F1...To me, rallying is far more enjoyable, probably cos' there's more action and the cars are cars that would otherwise be production models :smoke:

posted by  Cliffy

TRU. I did a powerpoit on that in school. very enjoyable.

posted by  Hiens

:laughing:

posted by  Hiens

That’s not exactly hard when I’m a part-time model.. :fu: .. And what do you mean by “real” girl, as opposed to my gorgeous, older, blonde Swedish girlfriend..? :hi:

Cheers SJ, you watch my back and I’ll watch yours..!! :thumbs: :smoke:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

Why are you talking about sex and watching each others backside in the same post. It's getting scary here.

posted by  vwhobo

lOgiC 1
R34RB30DETTV 1

posted by  Hiens

This is going to be a good fight folks. Lets sit back relak and get involed when we can score a good one!

posted by  Hiens

Again to you I say, HUH? :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

lol
J'aime votre grandmère
j/k

posted by  Hiens

Indeed it is.. How come you added the word "side" into the post? i merely said "back" and in this post i made no mention of the word "sex".. :screwy: Hmmm.. I knew i shouldn't have posted that last bit, even before i submitted it i knew shouldn't have.. :laughing: :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

And now you've used all three words in one post. Look out SJ. :hi:

posted by  vwhobo

Hey hey, SJ's coming to London tomorrow isn't he...?! :hi: :joking:

I have reached a conclusion. When you (VW) are bored, you add words to our (my) post implying something dodgy (or dodgier), once you have done this it is useless to retaliate because so long as you are bored you will find a way to win.. :ticking: :laughing: :thumbs:

posted by  R34RB30DETTV

nope next week. :laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

Bored, no not me! I've been sitting here in my home office for the last few days unscrewing up paperwork that was totally forgotten and neglected by one of my now former employees. This forum is the only thing that's kept me from going stark raving mad or killing someone. Hopefully I'll be done tomorrow. But bored, no way. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

Yeah, I would have to say that watching Rally on TV is great, but live can be VERY boring....Same thing with all types of sports, though. You will never see everything that goes into a great team--be it WRC, NASCAR, GTC, or whatever. Think about how much goes on behind the scenes of a NHL team or MLB? While these are team sports and not really highlighting anyone personally like a driver is, the amount of work is the same.

I used to think that NASCAR was boring when I was a kid, but when you realize that they are driving at 200 mph+ and they are usually INCHES from one another in those turns you realize there is a great deal of skill involved. And I think that the Nextel cup crews are probably the busiest and well funded crews in the world--those cars take a really good beating every race. But I still like Touring Car and Rally the best!!

And it is spelled 'persuade' right? I saw that horrible spelling back there, but mine doesn't seem right either... :ohcrap:

posted by  jmyers0341

I agree they take all the fun out of watching nascar. they need some right turns. :cussing:

posted by  krauthm

Nascar is dumb. who'd want ot watch a Chevy Monte Carlo race a Ford Taurus in circles? I don't understand habits from my own country. :ohcrap:
F1 is cool, as is WRC. :laughing: :laughing: :drool: :smoke: :thumbs: :mrgreen:

posted by  MOPAR

Yes you spelled it right! :mrgreen: :wink2:

posted by  MOPAR

You say "Nascar is dumb." like it is a fact. You can not say it is dumb, or it is O.K, or it is great as a fact. Neither can I as well as anyone else. This is an opinionated matter.

IMO, it's intresting for about 5 laps out of 200.

posted by  DodgeRida67

I think him saying "Nascar is dumb" makes it his opinion. He does'nt have to state that its his opinion, I think we all know it is. But his comment was generally dumb seeing as that NASCAR is probably the most popular racing event(by tv viewers and participation). So obviously someone out of these many thousands of people want to watch it. Unless they all go to the grand stands to eat hotdogs and smell car fumes and look behind them, and thousands of people aimlesly leave there tvs on NASCAR events and walk away.

Nascar is a pretty decent racing event. You have to take into consideration the skill required to go flying arround a track at 200+mph and trying to draft in somones air pocket to pass them. Not to mention they don't have brake lights cmon! How hard can that be? The crashes are always good..especially when no one gets hurt. Kinda like the start of an F1 race where one car screws up and takes out 11 others in the process. They should really revise the starting of F1, alot of the races I have seen always start with somone or many people getting eliminated due to a crash.

posted by  DSMer

Yeah, all cars are equal. Same engine size, power, same trans, suspension, drivetrain layout, restrictorplates on long tracks!! :doh: :banghead: It's crazy. I'd much rather watch IRL/CART/WRC/ALMS, they are fun to watch.
Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks

posted by  allroundcarguy2

Let's just put this out in the open- the only restrictions that NASCAR has are that fans must have a mullet.

posted by  Patrick

Nascar would be my least favorite motorsport as well. I could give you more reasons to not like it. Such as the cars are all econo-boxes converted to RWD and all have nearly the EXACT same engine pending oil pump placement. Also they are some of the slowest professional motorsport cars around road courses (it's actually funny seeing them go around road-courses, i suggest watching one of those, last i heard they aired it on Comedy Central). JGTC GT500 cars would run circles around Nextel cars around road courses and have a 200+hp disadvantage. Cool thing is the JGTC cars are somewhat close to their stock production forms. Nowadays though they are going with swapped engines though (ala Supra/Skyline V-8s...but the NSX still has just a stroked/bored version of the C32. I hate oval courses. But like someone else said. Try watching other motorsports. Among my favorite are F1,WRC,SCCA,JGTC,ALMS,LMS and SWC.

posted by  thunderbird1100

NASCAR is hardly international were as F1 and WRC are.

I dont have a suitable car to do that sort of speed but i have been around millbrook at 150 in a Merc SLK and it isnt that hard. The wind noise is probibly the most distressing part about the expriance.

The first courner sorts the men from the boys in F1, not really into rolling starts although they do happen when the SC has to come out etc, but that in its self can cause problems look at the incident at monte carlo GP in the tunnel!

posted by  cinqyg

It's all about competition. F1 vs. Champ Car and so forth..

Nascar is good, it's sth special

but

Today the people wants action all the way: More turns= More fun

posted by  lutz

Your Message