It's official...Schumacher's retirement

Home  \  Motorsports  \  It's official...Schumacher's retirement

What are everyone's thoughts? I think Ferrari forced him to retire so they could pick up Kimi next year. It's sad really, I think Schumi still had another season or two left in him. I hope he can end this season with a championship. Anyone else see the race this morning?

posted by  elchango36

Yeah, I heard about that on espn. They said over the last 5 years, he was the second highest paid athlete in the world, second to Tiger Woods.

Who would've thought f1 driving would make you more money than pro baseball and such.

He probably has so much money by now that at age 41 he doesn't even care anymore lol.

posted by  Bronxie

I just got up like half an hour ago and missed it lol...While it does suck that he's retiring, I guess he has had a good run and to be honest, he does seem to be getting a bit old for F1, people have been saying that for years...

posted by  chris_knows

Hey, your back!!!! It was a great race btw. Alonso had a podium position when he blew his engine. It was awesome.

posted by  elchango36

Yeah it sucks that hes retiring and welcome back chris

posted by  Spanky2324

Thanks for the welcomes guys :mrgreen:

Wait...Alonso blew his engine? I wanna see that lol.

posted by  chris_knows

although i didnt really like him, i liked his brother more, i hope he wins the championship this year as theres 2 points seperating him from the leader (alonso)!
plus, i think it will take a little while for schumy to get back to normal life, being away from racing, testing and anything else to do with F1.
he'll have a good life anyway, look at damon hill, hes settled in and owns quite a few supercars, nigel mansell owns a big golf course and a share in Sunseeker yaughts! i just think ferrari could have picked a better driver!
i do like kimi, (when hes having a good day) but ive never know of anyone to speak in one pitch with lots of pauses and with no emotions :laughing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwoPjxXSBLY

posted by  True_Brit

:orglaugh: We (me and my buddies) call him mumbles :orglaugh:
Although I can't wait to see him in a Ferrari. :clap:

posted by  elchango36

I've never been a fan of F1, however, he's had a good run and achieved what he set out to do (win)...several times, lol.

Welcome back Chris :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

i was a fan until it became all technical and super easy! (not literally easy)
if it went back to manual trans and no traction control, id be watching it all the time!
i only watch it when they get to Silverstone, Monza, Suzuka and the best of all, Monte Carlo

posted by  True_Brit

Thanks...couldn't have done it without you lol.

posted by  chris_knows

No probs! :thumbs:......:doh:<<<

posted by  Cliffy

You mean it's not manual and they use traction control? How do you race with traction control and without manual? You can't do ANY drifting with that, and even having an automatic takes away some cool drifts you can do.

Did I misunderstand?

posted by  Bronxie

I don't mean any offence when I ask, have you ever seen an F1 race?
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/keithssheila/race%20stuff/f1-2006-au s-xp-0731.jpg

It's all about grip not drift. What he means by manual is the days before the flappy paddle gearbox Formula 1 is so famous for.

posted by  elchango36

exactly what i meant! dont you agree with me???
the race series nigel mansell is racing in (GP masters) cope really well with minimum driver aids! (although the f1 car produces 800+ bhp and the GPmasters car produces around 600bhp)

http://www.gpmasters.com/car.htm

posted by  True_Brit

While I agree that back in the days before the flappy paddle gearbox and driver aids, F1 was exhilirating to watch and that much more dangerous. I am however a big fan of technology and I love seeing alot of new technology from the F1 cars trinkle down into consumer cars. Keep in mind it's still not easy pushing one of those F1 cars to its ilimit in a corner. It still tanks increadible amounts of skill to do what most of those guys do. It's astonishing to think of the amount of g-forces those cars cope with in the corners.

posted by  elchango36

i do agree with that! i am a fan of technology also, just dont know lots about it, but if they changed the amount of traction control power to half, less anti spin and such i think will make it better! i do believe driving an f1 car is the most skillful test (to date i think) like you say!

posted by  True_Brit

do you mean dead?:laughing:
did you know that schumacher was originally meant to quit in 2004? i didnt until i bought the official f1 mag!!!!
i found out a few other interesting facts in this mag like,,, Spyker having htere own F1 team, basically Midland F1 have signed up a deal with Spyker and also, Jacques Villeneuve is releasing his first album later this year!!!( I wonder what he sounds like?)

posted by  True_Brit

Your Message