My first autocross

Home  \  Motorsports  \  My first autocross

Alright, I know my time will prolly be bad, and I will most likely get lost on the course, but anone have any tips for me? Im running at an event at Warminster park in the Stock H class, Novice level. Probbably will have an instructor ride along with me to guide me through it, but anyone have any tips for cornering, etc.

posted by  newyorker

Trust me, you won't get lost. As for cornering, don't go in hot, YOU WILL UNDERSTEER!!! Instead go in nice and easy, hit the apex and then accelerate. Keep your mind on one cone at a time (apex, entry point, etc.). Try to get as close to the apexes as possible. Remember, Smooth=Fast. GL:thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

http://www.eurotuner.com/howto/38238/

Just read that. Seems to be some helpful information. I would have never guessed to turn the car with the gas like they say. I would have probbably turned the wheel more and skid, instead of releasing the gas to put more weight on the outside tire.:banghead:

posted by  newyorker

Anyone else have any advice?

posted by  newyorker

if you only have one set of tires take it easy on em :laughing:

posted by  nighthawk

im only gona have 3-5 runs on the corse (3 official and 2 or 3 fun runs at the end). I will be getting better stuff for track only later on if I like the sport. I found these in 195 60 14 for 61 a piece online. Steelies are gona cost me like 50 more for a set.
http://www.vulcantire.com/graphics/tires/azenis_rt615.jpg

Falken Azenis RT-615

posted by  newyorker

1. Take any uneccesary junk out of your car, especially anything that can move around inside and distract you or get under your feet. That includes any junk hanging from the mirror and dangly keychains. Don't forget to empty the trunk, spare tire included.

2. Bring along your own helmet. Using a loaner is okay but you never know how it'll fit or how it'll smell. More distractions.

3. For just starting out, don't do anything that will change the handling characteristics of your car except up your tire pressures. You're used to driving it as it is, don't change it.

4. Get there early so you don't have to rush, have plenty of time to ask questions and listen more than you speak.

5. When you're finally in the car, stay calm and don't worry about going fast. Use good common sense, hit your marks and stick to your pre-determined driving strategy. Getting worked up just causes you to make mistakes. Don't forget about how many seconds faster you have to go around the course to make up for one downed pylon. Slower really does equal fast.

6. Take a look at this (http://autocross.com/) websight, especially the Getting Started/FAQ section. It has loads of great info and links.

7. Relax and have fun... it's only an autocross. Until you get to the point where you're making a pile of money every year to drive a car, if you're not having a hoot, you're doing it wrong. Good luck.

posted by  vwhobo

I actually already had that planned. Spare and cover are going, all gloveboxes, etc. empty, and my soccer ball tassel gone

My own helmet will cost me another 60 bux. I will use a loanger for the time being, and if I like the sport, I will get one for when fall season kicks off

Up the pressure to how much? Im currently on shitty Dayton Quadra SE tires

There are AM and Afternoon sessions. Novice run in the afternoon, but I will get there early to ride along with a few people, watch, and prepare the car

Plus since I dont know my car THAT well yet, I will take it easy.

Going to check the site after I finish answering all of this.

Ya. Just hoping to enjoy my time. Its 35 bux to run for the day

posted by  newyorker

Then at least try to borrow a helmet from a friend now. You have to know someone who rides a motorcycle. That'll at least give you a chance to clean it up, de-stink it, etc. It'll also save from the "oh sh*t, I need a helmet now" syndrome when you're ready to run.

Your tire brand won't matter and those "sh*tty" tires may even make it easier for a beginner. The actual pressure will depend on the car, tires and track surface, but... To help minimize understeer you'll want to the rears 5-8 psi softer than the fronts. If it was my car I'd start out with 50 psi front (I don't care what the sidewall says, it's safe for what you're doing and won't harm the tires) and 45 psi rear. Don't go over 50 psi under any circumstances though. Probably your best bet would be to set them there and forget them for the rest of the day. If you go back for more, you can play with pressures.

I forgot one other important thing. If you can, have a trusted friend go along with a video camera. You can learn a lot by watching your runs and seeing your own mistakes. If nothing else, it's good for a laugh or two now and you can show your grandkids someday.

posted by  vwhobo

Our region rules are that any camera has to be firmy mounted, and cannot be handheld. The best I can do there is have someone film from the outside, because im not about to drill holes in my car. Ive thought about the camera idea today as well.

posted by  newyorker

I didn't mean to take him along in the car with you. That would be... STUPID! How would he record you so you can see your circuit?

posted by  vwhobo

Well if you meant filming from outside, thats not a problem at all.

posted by  newyorker

Sounds like fun. Can you practice on your own time or is their course specially designed for this kind of stuff?

posted by  Bronxie

There is a course, but i cant even find out the layout from anyone. Its always different

posted by  newyorker

When is it? lol.

posted by  chris_knows

November 5th

posted by  newyorker

I mean can you practice on your own time?

Go steal some traffic cones, block off an entire street block and get some experience under your belt before the big day :laughing:

posted by  Bronxie

well I would be breaking a lot of rules, but if I really wanted to I COULD.

posted by  newyorker

Your Message