Need help regarding dirtbikes.

Home  \  Motorsports  \  Need help regarding dirtbikes.

Ok, basically, im a newbie when it comes to dirtbikes. I want to get into it so I can finally be able to ride with my friends. But before i get into the racing/freestyle world, I have a few questions.

I'm 6'0, turning 17 years old soon, and weigh around 160 lb. I need to know what kind of bike I should get for a beginner that can take some damage.

Also, I heard my friends talking about 2 strokes, and 4 strokes. Whats the differance between the two?

Does a dirtbike use up gas fast or slow?

I'm sure theres more questions, but thats all I can think of for now.

posted by  xist2spire

heres a good explanation of a 2stroke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_stroke)

and (obviously) theyre good on fuel! very good infact!

posted by  True_Brit

if you want to ride around and go places with friends, get some kind of 125cc dirtbike, probably honda or yamaha

and if you really want a lot of power, something with a 250 or more should do

and you can put 10 bucks worth of gas in one and go for weeks

posted by  nighthawk

as you're 6ft tall, the Yamaha DT125Re (as in the name, 125cc) is an ideal bike for people taller than 5'9/6ft because of the frame height and size!!!
Click here. (http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/products/motorcycles/125cc/dt125re.jsp)

posted by  True_Brit

Ok, thanks for the help. I was talking to my friend today, and he said his dad was willing to sell me his Suzuki 125 for $250. It needs some work done to it, but he said his dad was going to put all the stuff back on it. I'm just wondering, should I go out and buy a new unused bike, or buy the used Suzuki for $250

Also, if I decide to go with a 125, would I still be able to keep up with my friends when riding since they ride 250's? Or is the power between a 125 and 250 a big difference?

posted by  xist2spire

maybe downhill!
theres a difference in power etc like cars, a standard mini cant keep up with the mustang can it?:thumbs:
as for the bike, go with what you're comfortable with, wether to get a new one or a used one that needs work on it (parts are inexpensive on them anyway!)

posted by  True_Brit

The thing is, I am able to afford the $250 bike. Whereas with a new bike will cost between 1-5 grand which will take a while to save up for. If I decide I don't like to ride ( highly unlikely) then I didn't waste a lot of money for a bike.

posted by  xist2spire

This forum is going (has gone) completly to sh*t. I'm not even sure where to start. Let's try form the top.

One word. Moron. Did you even bother to read the link you provided, or were you just trying to simultaneously appear to have some knowledge and up your post count? This quote is directly from your link;

Do you know ANYTHING about cars, motorcycles or internal combustion engines? The answer is obviously NO. I suggest you STFU. Did I mention you were a moron?

Really? Are you sure about that? I have raced and ridden dirt bikes for over 40 years and have always done my own work/modifications. My son races and rides. My grandson will when he's old enough. There are few things in life that cost more to maintain, much less repair, than a dirt bike. The only thing I know of off the top off my head is an ex-wife. Moron.

To the OP. At 6' and 160 and most importantly being a beginner, a 125 is more than enough bike for you. Size is not an issue because most 125's have the same seat height (or even higher) than comparable 250's. You won't need the power of a 250 to learn with... It might even scare you. If you can't do the repairs to the old Zuk yourself, a $250 bike can turn into a $3000 bike real fast, depending on what's wrong. So...

I would recommend finding yourself a older Japanese 125. I'm partial to Honda myself, but all of the Big-4 Japs make good stuff. You don't need anything flashy or with the latest mods. Around here you can pick-up a five year old HondYamaKawaZuki for about $1k in good ready to ride condition. Budget another $500 for appropriate safety gear... Helmet, goggles, gloves, boots and pants. I saw somewhere that you were from So-Cal, you can get it all cheap at Chapparal in Berdo.

posted by  vwhobo

A four stroke engine has four 'strokes' or parts of to its repetitive process.

Intake, compression, combustion and exhaust, in that order.

It makes proportionately less power than two stroke engines, has many more moving parts, and is larger and heavier.

These tend to last a lot longer than two stroke engines because the crankshaft area is closed off, so you can put oil in there to lubricate the moving parts and reduce wear.

Disadvantages: Heavier, larger, less powerful.

Two stroke engines only have the compression and combustion strokes and the intake and exhaust happens naturally.

The advantages of a two stroke engine are as follows:

- Lots of power packed into it

- Lightweight

- Less moving parts

- More efficient because the piston acts as sort of an intake and exhaust valve, despite the fact it doesn't have any valves.

There are a lot of disadvantages, though.

- You have to mix an expensive oil in with the gasoline to lubricate the moving parts

- It is less efficient with gas

- Some gas/air/oil mixture leaks out of the exhaust port during intake, causing an oily build up around the motor and of course, harming the environment :(

- They don't last very long over a long period of time and extensive use because of how the lubrication works.

- It burns this expensive oil pretty fast also.

- It's environmentally unsound :( :( :(

posted by  Bronxie

about 2 strokes being unreliable after a long period of time, I have to say from personal experience that a 2 stroke single cylinder can go over 50,000 miles with no problems (if taken care of)

doesnt sound like all that much but on a snowmobile with a 0.25 liter engine, thats a load

posted by  nighthawk

50K isn't that bad. How much does the special oil cost?

I forgot to mention that another main difference between a two stroker and a four is that in a two stroker, the spark plug ignites the fuel once every rotation as opposed to once every other rotation in a four stroker.

That's why it generally can make twice as much power as a four stroker.

posted by  Bronxie

special oil?

"2 stroke snowmobile engine oil" $2.99 at the corner store

and to make it even more funny, my particular sled is 29 years old so it doesnt have oil injection

you mix the gas with the oil and then pour it into the tank, just a little inconvienent if you dont know the right %'s

posted by  nighthawk

Another thing about two strokers is that it doesn't have to be upright to work effectively, whereas four strokers do.

posted by  Bronxie

WTF??? Have you ever heard the words "STFU newb"? I suggest you put them into effect. Less time typing and more time experiencing what it is you're talking about would be a good way to actually have a clue when giving advice. Oh yeah, and find a more accurate place to steal your information from.

posted by  vwhobo

Im going to get a job, then I'm going to go to my local dealer and im going to buy a 250 and just pay monthly payments instead of paying full price at once.

Thanks for all of the help btw

posted by  xist2spire

Have you ever heard that one post is enough?

What is wrong about my information?

If you can't even name what is wrong, then SHUT THE **** UP and stop being such a WOMAN about everything.

I've never seen someone who acts like he is so manly BE such a woman about everything.

posted by  Bronxie

Okay douche bag. let's start with your "information" that states;

WTF does that even mean? Do you have a clue or did you just read it on some other web site and decide to cut and paste it. YOU'RE the one who is offering "facts". Explain and support them starting with this one.

posted by  vwhobo

Instead of bashing other people about their information, why not contribute to the topic and supply some facts that will help me with dirtbikes?

posted by  xist2spire

But you already disregarded his advice and said you're going to get a 250, when he told you a 125 is more than enough power for a beginner.

posted by  Mathew

I know it sucks being passed by your friends, but if they wont wait for you, find different people to ride with who dont treat a day on dirtbike like an endurance race

posted by  nighthawk

So is that the ONLY piece of information you can find that doesn't make sense to you?

Wow, from how womanly you acted, you'd think EVERYTHING I said was off.

It means a four stroker can have problems with oil flow if not upright.

I'm pretty sure you knew exactly what I meant, you just had to find something to bitch about.

posted by  Bronxie

No, you litte know nothing dildo. Your "information" as you call it is essentially incorrect, incomplete or misleading. The best thing you could have done is completely stay away from this thread. Your user title states "Dont know crap about cars". That obviously goes double for motorcycles. Leave the thinking and explanations to those of us who have knowledge and practical experience. You just go spend some more of Daddy's money. It seems that's the only thing you're good for.

P.S. The quoted post is a perfect example of what I mean. Explain yourself in detail. You won't, because you can't. Loser.

posted by  vwhobo

Explain in detail for someone whose purposes don't call for that?

Is there a point or a benefit to that? NO.

You just want me to try to explain more so you can nitpick and be a stupid woman about it like you are about everything.

All your argument is going to be is that what I am saying is not NECESSARILY true, and not ALL four strokers are necessarily like that, which really has nothing to do with this at all and is redundant.

If you are claiming to be someone with knowledge, let's see it. Otherwise, go clean your vagina.

posted by  Bronxie

Further confirmation that you don't know what you said or what it means and that you only gave an answer to appear to have knowledgeable. I feel sorry for you and people like you really. Someday when you grow up, your balls drop and maybe even manage get a clue, your vast reservoir of stupidity and immaturity will be documented for all to see, as it already is. You'll be able to look back at threads like this and see just how ignorant and childish you are. Good for you.

P.S. You seem to have an ongoing and unhealthy fascination with my anatomy. Your mother can assure you that I'm all man. I understand there are plenty of cross dressing, transsexual, transvestite and transwhatever websites available for you to look at and wish you were just like them. Have fun.

posted by  vwhobo

I dont really care if I get passed up, but, when im still paying the bike off in 1-2 years, ill want to ride a 250. So why not get a 250 when I first learn even though its way more powerful than a 125

posted by  xist2spire

I gave my answers to help the kid. What did you do? Nada.

Even if what I said was wrong, which it isn't, what difference does that make?

Was it really a key piece of information that would change anything in the kid's mind?

No.

So do you have a reason to be a woman?

No.

Even if I was wrong, that means some haggy loser with nothing better to do needs to come and be like, 'LOL UR WRONG ABOUT THAT ONE LINE U SAID, THAT MEANS UR AN IDIOT AND ARENT CAPABLE OF HELPING ANYONE.' ?

If your objective is to help, then help. If your objective is to take out your anger on other people because of your sorry ass parents that brought you up the way they did, then let me assure you there are places that can help you.

Unfortunately, this isn't one of them.

To quote a common idiot on these forums, "Pot, kettle, black."

posted by  Bronxie

Finally...

Someone who isn't me has finally seen through the flawed rationale of vwhobo and is able to boldly defend himself without backing down.

Vwhobo is wrong in many instances, but no one exposes him. He insults more than anyone else of the forum, but Cliffy never edits his post. And a lot of the time....HE'S WRONG. He speaks in riddles and questions to appear wise to the fools. For someone who always begs for clarity, he rarely explains anything. But the fools will defend him until they die.

Vwhobo, you never explained why you wrote...

...after you read...
Where, again, did I not type the "s" on my "post"? Where is the grammar error? I'll answer for you...

posted by  My Life, My Era

What's the matter, upset because I edited another of you pointless posts last week? Hobo's posts in this thread weren't obscene, and he was giving as good as he got. No need for any edits! On the other hand, most of yout attacks are uncalled for. As for your remark about vwhobo not explaining what he meant about your sig, I'll explain, seeing as you're clearly not intelligent enough to work it out :screwy:

Although not necessarily correct in his train of thought, hobo looked at your sig as if you were speaking about the word "posts" as a plural, rather than speaking about the mistakes of an individal member, with more than one post.

posted by  Cliffy

I'd rather he speak for himself.

The biased in your post is awesome. You're saying that I was right, and he was wrong....but you included that I wasn't the intelligent one in the encounter....hmmmm...

Let's Re-Cap
I was right...
He was wrong...
I'm stupid?

Will you admit that you are a biased FORUM LEADER?

Sorry dumbass, you lose on all counts. "Posts" is the plural of "post". "Post's" is a contraction of two words and beyond that I honestly don't recall what it's called. In your signature you used the word " posts' ". Got it?

So, let's recap.

I was right...
You were wrong...
You are in fact stupid.
Any questions?

posted by  vwhobo

Hmmmm, let's see...

I gave him my opinion based on correct, factual information gathered over 40+ years of personal experience. When you can top that, or even come close, go for it. Until then STFU douche bag.

posted by  vwhobo

Oh my...

You are totally wrong.

Please tell me what two words are joined to make the word "post's". I really want to know. I've looked everywhere but I cannot find the two words that join to make post's. I even went to www.post's-is-a-contraction.com.

Please enlighten me.

And while you're at it, convince someone else that my use of the word posts' was incorrect.
Please do.

I was saying that you were unintelligent because you failed to see what hobo was talking about.....whereas I did. I'm no English teacher, but I do have a reasonable knowledge of our language. If hobo comes back with a reasonable reason for why he was right, so be it, I'll leave you to fight amonst yourselves. You can call me a biased Forum leader if it'll make you feel better darling. Just remember. I don't care what you think, as it's clearly not true. :thumbs:

By the way, I'm still trying to figure out why you would send me a PM....totally unprovoked (infact...it wasn't even in response to anything....and before any of my posts in this topic), saying that you were far supirior to everybody here....and that I should stop shoving filthy words in your mouth? :screwy:

posted by  Cliffy

Vwhobo and I have been going at it since THE VERY DAY I joined back in July.

My only real knock on him is that in some instances he preaches righteousness, yet shows no class or decency while communicating with other people.

I mean he told true brit off.

How can you possibly say anything mean to true_brit??? HE COULDN'T HURT A MOUSE EVEN IF HE HAD A SLEDGEHAMMER! :(

BTW: The only contraction I can see post's being is for 'post is', like, 'That post's gone.'

I'm not sure what the context was.

posted by  Bronxie

ATTENTION ALL CF MEMBERS. IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE COUNCIL OF VWHOBO.

In a statement released earlier today, the council of VWhobo put a new rule into effect, stating that if you don't have at least 40 years experience on a subject, you are NOT ALLOWED TO POST ABOUT IT!

The council of VWhobo released a statement to the press earlier:

"We sense there are too many users who don't have 40 years experience+ on every single automotive subject.", said the council earlier today. "This is simply not acceptable, and the council of VWhobo will not stand for it."

The council went on to say that the ruling will go into effect immediately and warned that, "None shall be spared."

The head of the council, VWhobo, declined to comment.

All transgressions will result in a verbal beating from vwhobo, a permanent ban from the internet, and possibly castration for serious offenses.

Bronxie - Associated Press

posted by  Bronxie

where did you get that? (from the american equivalent of our ASBO [anti-social behaviour order]?)

posted by  True_Brit

What?

I made that up myself lol

posted by  Bronxie

joke, very constructive!
(you should work for a council and be thier sign writer!)

posted by  True_Brit

OH sorry I didn't know what you were trying to say lol

posted by  Bronxie

Ok, here is what I believe he means....He could have said post's if he was talking about one person's actions or content, in just the one post. For example "I always correct your post's content where necessary". However, I think he intended to write it so it came across as though he was talking about one person still, but a number of that one person's posts....ex; "I will always correct your posts' content".....two different meanings. Hope that made sense...I really had to think about what I was saying there, It's been a long day, and it's getting late! :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

Am I the only one who thinks this is the stupidest argument ever? LOL

Who gives a shit!

posted by  Bronxie

Well, since you see...am I wrong? Can post's be a contraction of "post is" or any other words?

Nope, sorry. Can't do that. The word "post" isn't able to be used as a contraction. Majority of words formed into contractions are pronouns. "Post" isn't a pronoun and it isn't one of the exceptions allowed to be used in a contraction.

The word in question is posts'....read my signature.

and....

Oooohhh.....I forget nothing....
Remember when you said

I forget nothing.

If I am looking at it in the same way as you, yes, you are quite correct...I guess. As for the PM, I understnd its meaning now, although it was a little late. I still don't agree with it though.

posted by  Cliffy

You're exactly correct. Why didn't I see it that way before? It makes much more sense for the OP to take the advice of somone with no knowledge or practical experience on a subject (you) than it is to listen to someone who has extensive knowledge, training and experience on the subject (me). I can't believe I ever thought otherwise.

Thank you for once again proving what I've said about you before. You are a no nothing, do nothing, know-it-all who is only concerned with being perceived as being correct... Even though you seldom are.

So, how about you tell me where I screwed up on my one-handed, tabletop, can-can today. That is if you know what it is. I'm sure you'll know more about what I'm doing wrong than I do. After all, you can sit in front of your computer and google it up. I'm just the stupid old guy out there trying to make it happen, one crash at a time.

posted by  vwhobo

I know what a "one-handed can-can tabletop" is...after googling it. Originally, I thought it was a bike part :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

Unfortunately, you weren't giving him info. on the same subject as I was. You would have a point if you were offering info. on the same subject as I and my views conflicted with yours.

However, that wasn't the case at all. In fact, you didn't even bother to correct what was supposedly wrong with that single line of info. I gave, so where in this should your "superiority" come into play?

All you did was say, "You're wrong because I know more about this."

I don't know shit about dirtbikes but I was trying to offer the kid what I knew about two strokers, and instead of helping, you had to be a selfish piece of crap and make this discussion something it never was/should have been.

Way to go.

posted by  Bronxie

I don`t understand what is with all the bickering. As for you VWHOBO, if you can`t be constructive. STFU!!!!!!! In the past year of reading these posts I have determined that you have over 40 years of experience. Doing what? Being a dick? Why can`t you just say your "informed" bit and leave it at that. Did you fall off your VW once too often, or are you allways a jackass? Maybe the exhaust leak in your bug fried the few brain cells you had. Can`t wait to see what smart ass comment you have for me. Go back to living in the tree you fell out of. twat

posted by  talon699

I don't understand why you even have an argument when it clearly says you don't know crap about cars under your name. At least Hobo does know about cars, whether he chooses to share it is up to him.

posted by  Mathew

What in the hell are you talking about? He corrected other peoples' posts in this thread. Confronting you makes you remember what was right and wrong about your statement. For example:

You truly have to be a dumbass. That button on your keyboard next to the "1" key is not an apostrophe it's a grave accent. It is not meant to form a contraction, dipshit. The key you are looking for is right next to the "Enter" button.

I bet you know which symbol to use now. Whether you will use the correct one is up to you, however.

posted by  chris_knows

Remind me again who you are, what you've ever done for this forum or it's members and why I give a rat's ass what you think.

That's what I thought. :sleep:

posted by  vwhobo

LOL wtf @ that guy's post

posted by  Bronxie

Okay, fair enough. Give us a complete rundown of your direct experience with dirtbikes and two-stroke engines in chronological order.. That should take all of ten seconds to type.

posted by  vwhobo

I rode a dirt bike.

I burnt my leg on a part that was connected to its two stroker engine.

Took about 7 seconds. I'm a fast typer.

posted by  Bronxie

Hey if your still looking for a bike... new or used... get a ktm... very dependable and fast, i'd go with a nice 125 ktm sx or exc there a lil more then beginer but very nice, i have one myself, then just buy some after,arket parts for it and your all set.

and plus... orange is faster:orglaugh:

posted by  redneckrider

The best thing you could have done is completely stay away from this thread. Your user title states "Dont know crap about cars". That obviously goes double for motorcycles. Leave the thinking and explanations to those of us who have knowledge and practical experience. You just go spend some more of Daddy's money. It seems that's the only thing you're good for.

posted by  bimmerz_vn

Your Message