Nascar rumor

Home  \  Motorsports  \  Nascar rumor

Dunno if anyone here has heard this (and perhaps many of you have), but GM is rumored to be replacing the Impala SS with the new Camero for the 2009 Sprint Cup series. I thought it was retarded when they replaced the Monte Carlo with the Impala in the first place.
With many teams still struggling to find the balance driver like with the "new car"..how much do you all think this will screw Chevy in 2009?
Dave

posted by  DMCenci

I know nothing about Nascar, but this is my :2cents:

The problem is that the Monte Carlo is no longer being produced, so the Impala SS was the next best thing. You can't have them racing a name that is not in production, it would be like advertising a product that does not exist. Personally, I think these cars are basically the same, save some of the outside styling, And the cars they use for Nascar are very different from the production cars, so I can't imagine much has changed besides the name and some subtle shape changes. As far as using the Camaro in 2009, again it is an advertising gimmick. The Camaro will be new and redesigned, and it will have a certain star power to it, and it will also have a huge fan base, which will probably help Chevy sell ad space for a premium. It all comes down to money, sure winning helps, but it is not everything anymore. :2cents:

posted by  dvdrose18

You're kiddin' me, right? Come on Dave, get a grip. Do you have even the slightest freakin' clue about NASCAR. Let me give you the short and skinny of it.

Since the inception of the Car of Tomorrow (COT), the bodies of the cars are virtually identical save for some very minor tweaking to the front to allow them to lay the vinyl headlamp/grill/whatever on to supposedly make them look like brand C, D, F or T. They all fit the same template.

For may years prior they have been stucturally and mechanically the same, save for the engines. Each manufacturer builds their own version of the NASCAR spec engine and puts their name on it even though they have nothing in common with their street counterparts. Has Toyota ever even made an OHV V8? That question is rhetorical.

So even if Chevy were to change the name on next years car to Camaro, Corvette or even Corvair, do you really think the change in lettering will make enough difference to create problems for any teams?

That's what I thought. :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

I'm suprised you still care enough about NASCAR to know :laughing:

posted by  jedimario

Be even more surprised that I care enough about this forum anymore to look in or even post from time to time.

I am.

posted by  vwhobo

Well no need pointing out the obvious.

Real slow end to summer?

posted by  jedimario

?????

posted by  vwhobo

Well, if you have nothing better to do than post here...

posted by  jedimario

Not so much. It's just that at my advanced age (I've started getting junk mail from AARP) I can't stay outside in the summer heat (heat index 107 today, about 112 tomorrow) working 16-18 hours a day anymore. Inside breaks every couple of hours helps. Sitting here typing this actually adds to my overall productivity.

And just think, only enough chores left to last me till about 10 pm if I get on 'em right now. Gotta go.

posted by  vwhobo

I can't even stand 15 minutes in the heat around here, and it's not even 100 as far as I know.

But I'll go run around in the snow no problem :laughing:

posted by  jedimario

Kids these days.

I just came in for the night (about 8:10) and the thermometer in the barn says it 102 F ambient. Time to gulp down another gallon of H2O.

posted by  vwhobo

I'm missing something, hobo.

It seems that you are currently running multiple successful businesses/operations. Therefore, I'm assuming that money isn't too tight and the need to do work isn't so high.

So, why do you put in such large workdays?

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Kids these days... :laughing:

posted by  jedimario

Apparently you are.

I quit working because I needed money a long, long time ago. I even quit working because I wanted money several years ago. For quite some time, I've only worked because I get a rush out of making money. It's one of the few things that I'm truly good at.

Essentially 100% of our living expenses are covered by my military retirement and disability. That includes housing, food, utilities, clothing, entertainment, etc. The money my wife makes is spent on horses (mostly) or any other way she wishes. Whatever makes her happy. Neither one of us have any destructive/unproductive addictions like smoking, drinking, drugs or gambling to waste money on. I do allow myself a small stipend from my businesses for pocket change... Cars, motorcycles, guns and the occasional Yuengling. Everything else is invested/reinvested.

The reason I currently put in such long workdays is twofold. First, my wife as we speak is in Chicago caring for her mother who has terminal cancer. That means that on top of my normal schedule I picked up all of her chores (mostly horse related) for however long she may be gone. Second, if I wasn't busy all day, what else would I do? Sleep late, watch TV and drink beer? That lifestyle is not for me.

As Neil Young wrote in the song 'Hey Hey, My My', it's better to burn out than to fade away. I figure I have another 20-25 years before worrying about that.

Okie dokie?

posted by  vwhobo

I'm sorry to hear about the mother-in-law. Best of luck to her/your wife!

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Thanks. I'll be sure to pass it along.

posted by  vwhobo

Heaven forbid I ask an honest question. I was more aimed at what people though about the "switch"..no need to dump the crap cart on me.
And for your info..I have followed Nascar since 1993, and have watched close since 2001..what I know about it is not your concern.
Dave

posted by  DMCenci

Dave,

You seem to be confusing an honest question with an intelligent one. If you've been following, and in my world that means paying attention to, NASCAR for 15 years, then you'd know all about COT, parity, templates, etc. So let me ask you again the question you didn't answer in your last post. I'll make it real simple for you.

Since the bodies and chassis' are all the same, and the engines aren't going to change, going from the Impala to Camaro (if it happens) involves nothing more than different lettering and vinyl overlays. How is that going to change the performance of the cars?

That's what I thought.

P.S. What you know is only my concern when you pretend to know more than you do. It's painfully obvious that that's the case in this conversation.

posted by  vwhobo

Ok..maybe I should have rephrased the question..but this does not give you the right to talk down to me..but I apparently am wasting my time here..being that you apparently know all, and I know nothing (sigh)..there is one in every forum I guess.
Dave

posted by  DMCenci

Still can't answer the question, eh Dave?

Your right, there's always one, and in this thread it's you.

posted by  vwhobo

Yeah, post in a civilized manner, instead of behaving like a complete tosser VWhobo. You like massaging your ego on an internet forum eh? Pathetic.

posted by  Max5

Do the words pot, kettle and black have any meaning to you, little fella? If you have something useful to add to this thread, then do so. Otherwise, how about having a nice big cup of STFU and go back to massaging what you normally do while on the internet.

Just don't let your mommy catch you.

posted by  vwhobo

I expressed my opinion as to what was being posted, or is the concept of a forum new to you? What a mature reply, why, do you massage something else besides your ego on the internet? Youd better go back to massaging your little fella then, if you can find him. Mommy catch me, what an idiot, let me guess, a middle aged man, trying to come across as intelligent by being tough and eloquent. If i feel like commenting on what is being said in this thread, i will. Cool internet lingo by the way, tosser.

And no, obviously there is negligible difference in car performance as the basic platforms in this instance offers little in variation

posted by  Max5

seriously guys, i don't pay attention to nascar and even i know they're all the same cars (that's why i don't pay attention to it)

posted by  dodger65

Your Message