Gran Turismo 4?

Home  \  Motorsports  \  Gran Turismo 4?

**GOOD PART**

Have you guys played it? If so did you liek it or hate it or didn't care?

Honestly I think this is the best racing game ever to have come out on the PS2 and in any other platform.

Over 650 cars to choose from, old and new, years ranging from 1886 (Daimler Motor Carage for Instance) and all the way up to 2005, or if you want to include the Nike One from 2022, yes that's right 2022.

It's an awesome game because you can do regular single races, usually against slower cars depending on the Hall, which there are three of, Beginner, Professional, and Extreme. And all out championships which range from 5 to 10 races, and usually have longer laps.

Or if you're feeling that that isn't good enough, how about endurance races from anywhere to 1 hour all the way up to 24 hours of Le Mans on the Sarthe Circuit in France.

**CRITISIUM**

The game seems to short in some aspects. Sure there are a few 24 hour races and championships, but overall it feels to short. In just 4 days I beat 1/4 of the game, which seemed to go by fairly quickly considering the races were relativly short single races and the only challenge was the License Tests.

Sure there are 650 cars, but there's about 10 models of just about every good Japanease car ever made...seriously who needs 15 models of the S2000?

The whole game seems to just be a purely designed Japanease sports car game, 10 to 15 models of each good Japaneaze car ever made, and only a few American or European car models. For instance the TVR and Aston Martin section could have been DRASTICALLY better.

And who wants mini vans? The game isn't a soccer mom fiasco. It's a RACING GAME! No one wants to drive around a Honda Odessy or Suzuki Sports Limited POS van, or some van from the 60's. Come on get real...

**CONCLUSION**

The game is great in graphics and it has a fair enough amount of cars...overall I liek it but there is still a huge amoutn of work that needs to be done...for the amount of postpones they had for the public, 6 to my count (May, June, October, November, December, January) and the amoutn of hype it lead up to, it was a huge let down. But overall I recommend it to anyone who likes cars, and espcially anyone who LOVES Japanease cars, considering liek 2/3's of it is just that.

posted by  PeteBobJoe

After all the postponments, and all the hype no online play ! That was the only real reason I would have bought it. Racing the computer is fun, but building your own car then racing other people online is where it's at.. :sleep:

posted by  ode94

Man, you said everything I was thinking. Anyone else notice the Camaro SS and the Camaro Z28 are different years? The SS is 98+ and the Z28 is 93-97.

posted by  Satty101

Thats how it was in the last game, the SS was '98 and up, and the Z28 was '93-'97.

posted by  moostang104314

its a good game, but the B-spec thing kind of kills it. Another thing that sucks is that it loads every 5 seconds, it takes forever to start racing, and i disabled the autosave option(pissed me off)

posted by  carlos

Those are my largest peeves about the game, also the steering is a lot different than Gran Turismo 4, but after you get used to it, its A LOT of fun. Also, the game autosaves even if you turned it off, which is weird.

i hate how you cant get into a car without it having to save... i bought a car to see if i could use it in a race... i bought a convertable S2000 for the convertable car cup, and i couldnt get into it without it making me save... come to find, it wouldnt let me use it, so i was out 40000 (i bought the spoon one)

posted by  mazda6man

Its an amazing game, I found a nice little loophole though.

If you go to special conditions events, race the second one from the top( ithink its capri rally or something like that). When you beat both races you get the toyota RSC rally Raid car...Which is worth $275,000. You can sell the car then go race the event again, it will say some BS about"you've already beat this event. Do you want to race it with or without clearing" Choose clear, that way when you beat the event again, you get the car again, and can sell it for $275,000 again.

I've abused this little trick heavily (about 35-40 times) And because of that,I have 50 of the best cars in the game all the way modded out, and im only 12% done with the game.

posted by  Zalight

oh, thats my money makin track...

posted by  mazda6man

That's awesome. I'll try it out, but today I found out a different way to make a smaller amount of money really fast. Get a pretty fast car and enter a race that you know you can whoop the competition in. Do B-Spec mode and leave it at Setting 5 and Overtake. In the race mode screen, change the time to x3 (by holding L1 and going left or right) then sit back and relax, and let the computer do the race.

Note! This might not work on small, complex tracks.

yeh, that would work well... but bspec sucks... big waste of the game... i woulda much rathered online play over bspec...., but that would work really well (the bspec idea of yours)

posted by  mazda6man

The hell is Bspec? I haven't played it much after my X-runner got crushed by the SS. wOOt!!! CHEVY!!!

posted by  Satty101

its where you... more or less tell the car what to do, and it races for you... you just tell it to speed up, or slow down...

posted by  mazda6man

I haven't figured out what A-spec points are for, anybody know?

BTW, I hate the saving system also.

posted by  Godlaus

I'm not sure, but I think the A-spec and B-spec points are to open new tracks? I don't know. B-Spec is nice to use if ya wanna sit back and let the money come to you, without having to race.

I found an even better way to make cash...

How's about making 4.5 BILLION in an hour sound for you?

Well here's the trick! :thumbs:

Ok what you do is win or buy the Mercedes CLK Touring Car...then go to European events, and select the Duetsche Touring Car Meisterschaft or DTM as I know it...then win that championship...

Ok after you win that you'll make some serious cash right here right now...

Ok if you won all the races you get 75K total, plus I think 50K for the championship, but here's the real money maker, the CLK GTR Race Car...sell that thing for 743K...

In about an hour you'll have well over 4 billion dollars, and the best part is, the computer can race it for you three times quicker so you can earn even more cash...

Part 2!!!

Ok some things i also noticed in the game over the weekend was the fact that the two player B-Spec thing is BS because you can't even access lik it says you can in the Manual...

And the computer is the worst racer I've ever seen...

DO NOT set the pace to 5...almost always he will go off the track...here's what makes me mad...every lap...they boast the computer has Great AI in the ads, but yet he can't learn to not go off the track after doign it 45 times right?

Part 3!!!

the game completion thing is totally jacked up...

I won 3 races, some fairly good ones, and only got .35 percent completed...if you ask me that's some serious BS right there...I won the 24 hour Nurburgring and 24 Hour Circuit De La Sarthe II and the 9 Hour one...only for a crappy .35 more percent...

Does any one else hate this game completion crap or is it just me...

Part 4!!!

Ok due to the mass amounts of Japanease Vans in the game, I've came to the conclusion that there's only about 400 cars in the game...because I did a little research while playing and found not 5-6-7 or 8 models of a car, not even 10! But I found THIRTEEN MODELS!!! What car is this on...why the NSX! Great car, I mean it's my favorite Japanease car, but I don't need 13 models of it....seriously...

I even bothered to stop counting because I knew I was bound to win at least two more of them things somewhere down the lines so there's roughly 15 models of the NSX...

Part 5!!!

Ok this is what I absolutly dislike about the game...

How come it is that the race regulation state you can enter a car that doesn't go against them, but yet if you take your pre 1970 car to the 1000 mile race in the Europpean events you can race AGAINST a Buick Special which has 556 horsepower STOCK and will absolutly kill you...

So you exit the race, buy the Buick Special to enter it in the race, yet it says, "You cannot enter the Buick Special because it isn't a production car"

wait...W>>>T>>>F (yes I meant the >>>)

You mean to tell me the COMPUTER can enter that exact car AGINAST me but I can't enter it against him?

If there's ever an amount of BS in the game this definetly sets the bar because that's just the most ridculios thing I've ever come across...

Well that's my :2cents:

posted by  PeteBobJoe

Oh I get PSM and you can play it online. You download this stuff from these British dudes at www.teamxlink.co.uk.

"Make sure both your PC and PS2 are able to go online via your broadband router and internet connection..... set up an Xtag account (this will be your username while playing via Xlink Kai). Next, download the latest version of Xlink Kair Evolution VII and install it on your computer"

And it goes on... Sorry I tried but I just can't type it all out.

March 2005. Issue 95

posted by  ToCkS

Man.. Its all sound good on GT4 in this discussion, but i m still playing the GT3 hahaahaaa. must try GT4

posted by  AJRT

i know a better way to get money on there buy a gameshark and have 1 trillion dollars like me....and i also have all 722 cars i believe....but im just a cheater

posted by  black_plague

I just got the game yesterday, and so far only have 4 cars (from licenses B, A, IB, and then completing one racing circuit thing). Seems pretty good, just need to find an easy way to make money so early in the game.

posted by  car_crazy89

well... IF you have a GT3 save, you can trasfer 100,000 credits over from that. :hi:

other then that, you just gotta see what you can do with the sunfire... win more cars, open more races... the first 5-10% of the game puts the most pressure on ya.

posted by  pik_d

I have a GT3 game save, just don't remember how much is on it (and I didn't pay attention on how to transfer it over).

posted by  car_crazy89

go to the home icon or whatever it is and it's one of the options.

posted by  pik_d

Oh alright, I guess I'll give it a try tomorrow, thanks.

posted by  car_crazy89

no prob. the thing is, you can transfer over the lisence tests you've already done (and maybe the IA?). i did this, so i never won the cars you have... except the nike 2022, there's multiple places to win that (yet you cant sell it for money... what a stupid thing)

anyway, have fun. its one of my most favorite games. :thumbs:

posted by  pik_d

Damn, I already have most of the licenses lol (only need the long ass one for IA). I don't know if I should just sell the cars I won or if it's worth keeping them or not, but I'll agree with you, this is a pretty good game.

posted by  car_crazy89

this is the best racing game for ps2 IMHO but i'm not a big fan of the b-spec racing

posted by  mx3_monster

what about for the endurance races?

posted by  pik_d

i got the game today and im only 5% done the game but i dont know what the A-spec points do, can someone plz help me out

posted by  shaun1608

As far as I know (and I just checked on Google too) they don't do anything, they are there for looks (and apparently bragging if they're high enough).

posted by  car_crazy89

Played it. Very good game and a simple MUST for everyone who loves racing games because it's quite different. Unfortunetely, I got bored with it rather quickly. I got tired of the lack of modding, the hard license tests, and similar tracks. I prefer games like Need for Speed when you can race in the streets in slightly riced out cars. Furthermore, I didn't play any previos GT games so the turning was pissing me off in ways I can't even explain. All the little tricks that were mentioned get boring once you do them more than twice, but you have to do them to get anywhere without pulling any hair out of your head

Other than that, the game is rather unique. I would recommend trying it, but still prefer Need for Speed. :2cents:

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Personally i enjoyed Gran Turismo since 2 (kinda of a geek when it comes to video games). I have to admit the engines for Need for Speed are much more enjoyable than the ones for GT, but we all admire all of the GT's for their graphics and spectacular visuals. Burnout is kinda fun for those people who love to cause maham :laughing:

posted by  95civicdima

GT is a simulator. Need for Speed is an arcade. Plain and simple.

posted by  newyorker

Not at all. Burnout is an Arcade game...as is Ridge Racer (Remember that one? lol), these two use fictional cars and unrealistic or no crash damage and cars that dont exist. NFS has never fallen into this catagory as the cars are real, the damage is kinda real and the speed is also reasonably real. However, where Sony claim GT is a simulator, I disagree. Where the cars and dynamics are real, and most of the tracks, too. There's too much wrong to make it a real simulator. For example, no crash damage (I know it's not their fault, but that's not the point!), the correct brake lights dont even illumiate on the cars and they dont have reverse lights! (And you called yourself a geek,95civc ;p;).

Another downside with regard to mapping, is the tracks aren't always as true to life as Sony/Poloyphony claim, as a well known Btit TV presenter found out a couple of weeks ago whilst attempting to beat or match one of his lap times in an NSX. I know these are small factors, but all these things help make a game a simulator. So I guess no game, untill mayve GT5 on the PS3 atlest, has the right to call itself a REAL driving simulator...Still a bloody good game though lol :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

Ridge Racer 6 is on XBOX 360. Lol. just an opinion man

posted by  newyorker

everytime i get bored of it i just follow these steps....

1. find some random car
2. tune it however i want it
3. go to Trial Mountain
4. drift for as long as i feel

plus, im trying to get the most a-spec points out of every race, highest ive got so far is 174 points using my Trueno AE86 and beating an RX-7. :screwy: yes i am an idiot aren't i?

posted by  ahoo

hmmmm, an initial D fan? :mrgreen: it's really not very obvious. nope. not at all.

though i have to admit i have trouble controling a car once i get it sideways... :oops:

posted by  pik_d

It's on the PSP aswell :wink2:

posted by  Cliffy

lol are you a fan? anyway some cars are way easier to drift and control as a beginner.... the rx-7 gt-x is good

posted by  ahoo

nah, i'm not a fan, but i'm familiar with it. (caus of gran turismo 4..)

posted by  pik_d

are you talking about the trueno ss?

posted by  ahoo

well... on the biggest gran turismo message board, there's quite a few initial D followers, so that's where i found out about it. :wink2:

posted by  pik_d

oh i see, i have a strange feeling that the people who made GT were followers of initial d...not that its obvious

posted by  ahoo

nah, i dont think so. i somewhat think they wanted to appeal to the initial D/drifting fanbase. also, it's a japanese based company, and the ae86 is just so well known that it was a shoe in...

posted by  pik_d

lol ok i guess that's the reason....... they might aswell have put in the Kei Office tuning brand in it if they were to do so though

posted by  ahoo

Lets not forget that it's on the DS as well :mrgreen:

posted by  95civicdima

Oh dear :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

I like it and i hate it, the simulator mode on it sucks does not matter what car you use if your taking a turn a 40mph or less the freaking tires still squeal, on top of all that almost all the vehicles have the same sound. they should have made it online playable and left all of the other older cars out of the game like the ford model freaking T what the hell was that about they could have use that space for other details like exhaust tone which I know I am not alone in this but I put on my surround sound and just lose myself in the game. like I said I love the game and all the cars but I hate some of the game play it could be some what irritating sometimes oh! and another thing I don't like the fact that my saved vehicles are all tuned up and don't perform when you play against a buddy all those mods go away and your forced to use GT4 race vehicles. overall that game play gets a little :sleep:

posted by  wrxsti2000

i'll agree with you there... there's a few things in GT4 which really dont add anything to the experience to me... especially the 5 second penalties and stupid AI...

having the model T and other such cars... doesnt bother me so much, because they still have 700 other cars (even though some are identical to like 15 others, like the evo's, STi's, skylines, and some of the silvia's) to mess with.

oh yea, and you might want to try uploading whatever it was you were trying to show in your sig. :wink2:

posted by  pik_d

I like the way the engine of an RR car cant be heard easily in normal 'driver' view, untill you switch to the back of the vehicle. I'm not sure if this can be switched off, but it doesn't always seem to be the case on RR cars...or Porsche's (RUF's) if ya like :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Yeah that always bothered me... why does the AI not get a penalty for hitting you??? That 5 secs has screwed me a couple of times

posted by  Voda48

especially when im using way underpowered cars that need high entry speeds against the buggers. i hate that track in italy (the one in the special condition one) the damn computer dosnt give you space and brakes when you dont expect it... i hate it, i hate it, i hate it!

posted by  ahoo

I hate the ice arena... it has screwwed me over quite a few times. :doh:

posted by  Voda48

i still cant beat mission 11, and the drafting skyline one...

there's quite a few other's i havn't even gotten to, so dont go thinking i beat ALL the others. :wink2:

posted by  pik_d

ive done all the missions!!!! haha! 56.7%!!!

posted by  ahoo

pfft, i'm somewhere around 87-89%. :hi:

posted by  pik_d

Dammit!!!!!!!

edit:
has anyone drifted in a dodge charger 440 rt yet?

posted by  ahoo

Same as me.....I even passed all the Driving Tests before my first race :guns:

posted by  Cliffy

one word for ya (maybe two) WALLRIDE it never fails

posted by  ahoo

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/dorifter/tunneldrifting.jpg

i drift all the way to the tunnel :laughing:

posted by  ahoo

Your Message