diesel vs gas

Home  \  General Chat  \  diesel vs gas

Which would you consider being better engine turbo diesel or turbo gas?

posted by  mumin

Gas turbos make more horsepower and diesel turbos make more torque. With the same turbo, a gas engine will make more horsepower and less torque, while a diesel will make far more torque. It all depends on what you want...for a hauler, I would want diesel, for a racer I would want gas, but both fuels can do both. I PREFER gas because I love the turbo lag and then rapid accel...most diesels I have been in usually have boost right off idle. That's why I got a Buck Grand National....now I just need to satisfy my manual craving(all GNs are auto) :mrgreen:

posted by  madhat

That's not a very good question. It depends on the circumstances, but anyone in their right mind would chose Diesel. Gas makes a lot of power, but very innefficient. Dielsel is cheaper, they last a lot longer, better mileage and more torque. Gas just make a lot of horse, that's the only advantage to gas. So if you want to go fast and waste your money for the 3 times you'll ever get the car going fast, gas is the way to go. If you want a motor that's all around better, diesel.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

diesel isn't necessarily cheaper, it depends on where you live. diesel's are also very cold blooded, so if you live up in central new york like me you can pretty much forget about it for short trips (it isn't worth the trouble)

posted by  carls47807

you mean it freezes faster???? Diesel is not cheaper but you drive more with the same number of galons on diesel isn't that true??

posted by  mumin

yeah, but as of lately, diesle costs a lot more... like 50 cents more... darn deisle fad of the new millenia...

posted by  mazda6man

you don't necessarily get better mileage, it all depends on the vehicle. two comporable vehicles, 1 with gas, 1 with diesel, the diesel may get better mileage. if you are worried about mileage diesel is more expensive anyways right now.

no it doesn't freeze faster, diesels are just harder to start because they don't use sparkplugs. they work of intense amounts of compression with causes the gas and air to combust without the use of a spark. most vehicles use glow plugs to help warm the engine up but it still isn't the same (i don't care what anybody tells you)

posted by  carls47807

and then you can have the propane injection diesel, that is some wicked stuff

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Diesel here is still cheaper than gas, gas went up, diesel went down today, gas is about 10 cents more a litre (40 cents a gal). Gas is 92 cents a litre now... :ohcrap:

Diesel will 100% of the time get better mileage. Of course if you compare a diesel 1 ton to a gas... firefly, of course the mileage of the firefly is going to be better. You don't compare different vehicles. Diesel is MUCH better on fuel especially once you get into the heavier vehicles due to the torque it makes.

All that you need to do to start a diesel is plug in the block heater, or even like lots of people do with diesels get 2 block heaters or an oil pan heater. Will start every time.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

What are you wanting out of your vehicle? Are you planning on racing? Saving money? Pulling? Do you actually plan on having your vehicle more than 200,000 miles? Where are you planning on driving it?

posted by  madhat

I don't really mean to race it.. I would like to push the pedal down to feel the speed though.. I'm a noob though. I would plan to get something used with about 60k and sell it when it gets to 150k no more.

posted by  mumin

I think Grand Nationals are great for that...they can have such big turbos that man it is fun to punch it....if you are actually out to feel the speed, I would prob go for a gas turbo....most diesels I've been in, even w/ 350hp and 600ft/lbs just didnt feelliek they get up and move like my GN or my friend's WRX, and besides, there wasnt that fun turbo lag...it felt more like a n/a gas engine...and as long as you get a car in resonable care, a fuel injection engine now-a-days will easily go 150K...my wife's 87 BMW 325is had 153K when we bought it...and it still ran strong.

posted by  madhat

Diesels have a much higher re-sale value at high mileage like that too.

A diesel you won't feel the acceleration you would with a gas motor, but, with how it's going right now, diesel is definately the way to go. I love speed, but I'd still buy a diesel over a gas vehicle any day.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

I get my info from different people and I don't know how reliable this is but, I hear that new diesel engines are much better if it comes to acceleration. What about turbo diesels?

posted by  mumin

They're alright, still not very good for accel, but that's not what they're made for.. that's not the point of a diesel. The point of a diesel is to make a lot of torque and get good mileage, not to race. If you want to race, stay away from diesels.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

I just remeber back in days when my dad had Opel Astra which was turbo diesel 1.7 L I think.. It had nice push, well since I came to US I never really drove a car and not even those tweaked cars . This is just my idea.

posted by  mumin

unless you are talking about trucks, i havent seen better resale value, I see lower resale value on diesels.

posted by  madhat

How does a diesel engine make more torque? is it the high c/r?

posted by  CarEXPERT

Your Message