Salvage title 4runner - need help

Home  \  General Chat  \  Salvage title 4runner - need help

I am looking for advise about salvage title cars, this car looks like its in great shape, and it would be a car i would want to keep for a while, not resell, so the salvage part doesnt really bother expect there might be other problems with it.

Price: 8850
Miles: 105016
Doors: 4 doors
Transmission: Automatic
Interior: Gray
Year: 1997
Warranty: No
Title: Salvage
Exterior: Black
Condition: Used
Engine: 6 CYLINDER 3.4 LITER

Standard Equipment:
CASSETTE POWER DOOR LOCKS POWER STEERING ABS
AM/FM RADIO SR5 4 WHEEL DRIVE DUAL AIR BAGS
6 CYLINDER 3.4 LITER 3.4L 4WD

Optional Equipment:
ROOF RACK CD POWER WINDOWS CRUISE CONTROL
LEATHER AIR CONDITIONING TOWING PKG

Here is a pic, as you can see the only visible damage is on the running board.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/95/4d/8b_3.JPG
http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/95/40/ed_3.JPG

Everything looked in order to me. Also if i decide to go out and look at it, what kind of questions should i be asking the owner? I know you cant really tell much just from the pictures but any help is really appreciated :thumbs:

posted by  vayne001

The basic thing is to see if there are "before" pictures of the damage, and show where the work was done and how. When I rebuilt salvage title cars, I always had before, during, and after pictures to show exactly what was done and how, so a prospective buyer could make an informed decision. The cars arne't worth what a pristine example would be, but usually they will be as safe and useable as they were before the accident or whatever caused them to be salvage cars. But you have to make sure the repairs were done well, and not just slapped together to make a quick buck.

Of course, make sure than any safety gear that is supposed to be in them is OR that their lack is disclosed (there is a big market in airbag replacments that don't include the airbag. it only costs a shop $99 instead of $500-1500 to replace) and you're cool with it.

posted by  ChrisV

I am a licsenced Ma auto dealer, in reguards to a salvage vehicle, be very weary ! Take the vehicle to a really good mechanic that YOU trust. I don't know what state your in but has the vehicle been re-certified for state inspection ? Here in Ma after a vehicle has been deemed a salvage it must be brought to a state police approved garage to be certified for state inspection.I personally don't mess with salvage too much hassle and paper work. My advice have it inspected with a fine tooth comb, carfax it, see if there are photo's of the damage as suggested above, and if all else fails walk away from it. Today's newer cars are super expensive to fix, so most vehicles will end up with a prior collision reconstructed title, salvage means plain and simple total loss. Be careful or >> :banghead:

posted by  ode94

Your Message