question about speakers

Home  \  General Chat  \  question about speakers

hello i know a bit about speakers but i just want to clear a thing up because my friend doesnt believe me so heres the question, if i buy new, aftermarket speakers for the front dash or rear deck, do i have to buy brand new speaker wire and brackets for them??by the way, i have a 1988 chevy caprice classic brougham V8 305 5.0L.

posted by  whiteboy23

No...

posted by  thunderbird1100

that's big negative.

posted by  BMWGuru

thanks...so if i dont have to buy new speaker wire, do i have to buy an adapter or anything?so i just take out the stock speakers and put aftermarket speakers in and dont have to worry about anything?

posted by  whiteboy23

Usually yes, you dont have to worry about it assuming you buy the same size speakers to replace the stockers.

posted by  thunderbird1100

thanks yo. i was going to buy replacement front dash 4x6's and they are pioneer and the rear deck 6x9's are pioneer too i got a sony cdx-m600 cd player and a jlw3 12" with a cheap virtual reality sound labs 250 one channel amp with schoche wiring kit.it sounds great considering that its only one twelve inch subwoofer but it just needs more voice sound because all i can mostly hear right now is the bass.

posted by  whiteboy23

Stock speakers usually have a special adaptor (for the wire). You have to cut that adaptor off and put the normal connectors on it.

Generally the speaker will just drop into place if it's the same size, but not always.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

You do need to replace the wires for the new speakers if you are puting in big subs. You would need to get an amp and box then get a thicker gadge of wire for the new subs two handle the amount of amp flow.

posted by  Sniper1

no no i already have a sub with and amp and everything. my stereo can handle 50 watts TIMES 4.

im just putting in these little 20 watt RMS pioneer 4X6's

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIOTSG4640R?vq_id=none

and im going to put in this pair of 6X9's that are only 60 watt RMS:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIOTSA6960R?vq_id=none

all i wanted to know is if i had to buy new speaker wire for these speakers. i really dont want to buy new speaker wire because it is going to be wayyy to much work and i dont want to go to a professional because it is too much money.

posted by  whiteboy23

Oh ok then you should be fine on wire. but you should make sure that the radio can handle the watts that you are putting out on all your speakers put togeather.

posted by  Sniper1

Your Message