can you make a dirt bike street legal?

Home  \  General Chat  \  can you make a dirt bike street legal?

hey guys, im only 15, i was thinking to buy this to drice around my block for fun instead of buying an xbox 360,

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4593527978&rd=1&sspagenam e=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1

could i turn it street legal or do any fun things with it like make it super fast or something?

posted by  illusion34

Bro save your money and buy a car, that things shipping will be atleast $100 :2cents:

posted by  99integra

lol what kind of car could i get for less than 1000$

posted by  illusion34

Ohhhhh theres MANY :wink2:

posted by  99integra

name me a few... and i dont want a piece of crap on wheels. no broken down cars.

posted by  illusion34

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?advanced=&bkms=113348447472 9&certified=&isp=y&search=y&lang=en&search_type=both&make=any&start_year=19 81&end_year=2006&min_price=1&max_price=1000&distance=25&address=33770&x=107 &y=2

posted by  99integra

i live in canada man. is there any american cars like mustangs, novas, camaros early to mid year t/a's stuff like that

posted by  illusion34

Don't forget he's from Canada...I don't get it though...why isn't it street-legal?

posted by  chris_knows

because its over 50cc so its not classsified as a moped and its not a motorcycle so whats it classified as?

posted by  illusion34

Probably because it doesn't have turn signals, mirrors, and other 'safety' equiptment that regular motorcycles have. Not sure but you may be able to make one street legal by adding all the parts that a bike requires to pass safety, it'd be worth checking into.

To answer your question illusion34, I don't think you'd be able to find any early year cars like what you have in mind for around $1,000 in any classifieds (it is possibly though), but if you look around your area in peoples yards, driveways, fields, or just ask around you may get lucky. Usually the good deals aren't advertised. You could maybe find a late model (late 70's to early 90's) Camaro, Firebird or Trans Am for around that price though (probably V6 or a small V8 like a 305).

If you are only 15, then if It's like it is here, you still got about a year before you can get your G1 (learners permit) so why not keep saving for an extra year and maybe have a bigger budget to spend on a nicer car next year when you can actually drive, it's just an idea.

posted by  car_crazy89

why would you wanna make that street legal? i had to take paved road to get to town on my yz250 and it ate the knobs off my tire in 2 months easily, keep it what it is and burn some dirt, or go buy an enduro with all the street legal crap on it, if you like that sort of thing, it's kinda like buying a honda for mud bogging....doesnt make sense does it?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

This is a pretty good vid on making a dirt bike street legal:

How to make your Dirt Bike Street Legal (http://www.electrosport.com/blog/2008/12/how-to-make-your-dirt-bike-street -legal/)

Of course, it is marketing their own product, but it is a good overview of what is required, and how simple it can be if you purchase a kit (from them or other manufacturers)

posted by  kyle_1981

Dude...this was from 05...I highly doubt they're still around wondering about this.

posted by  Satty101

oh hell yeah man, its easy, street legal kits for bikes arent hard to find, or to put on.

posted by  skate_level09

Your Message