Opel in USA

Home  \  General Chat  \  Opel in USA

Hi!

Is it possible to buy a Opel in the USA??

Bye

posted by  OPC Power

Not unless you import it...They were never sold here :ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

Really? Are you absolutely sure about that? Do you mean to tell me that all Kadetts, GT's and Mantas sold in Buick dealerships in the '60's and '70's were a figment of everyone's imagination? I learn something new every day. :doh:

posted by  vwhobo

:ohcrap:...Never knew they were sold here :ohcrap:

I haven't seen any in North America...Doubt there's any left for sale, but from what I understand, the Isuzu Gemini was basically a rebadged Kadett.

posted by  chris_knows

Opels were sold in North America as recently as 2001, badged as a Cadillac Catera.

http://www.maranathaauto.com/vehicles/1999_cadillac_catera_4_door_sedaMVC-8 27F.JPG

As for older Opels, they're not exactly growing on trees, but there are plenty of them still out there to be had. Just look at eBay (http://motors.search.ebay.com/opel_Passenger-Vehicles_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfsoo Z1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ6001).

posted by  vwhobo

Wait so the Cadillac Catera is based on an Opel?
GM doesn't own Opel so how could they do that, or is something else? :ohcrap:

posted by  99integra

I thought he meant an actual Opel...What was the Caddy badged as in Europe?

GM does own Opel BTW.

posted by  chris_knows

Opel. But the fact is that you said never. I'm not counting the Catera as an Opel, just trying to educate you. Oh, that was my error.

posted by  vwhobo

Hmm, didn't know that, learned somethin new today, thanks!

posted by  99integra

I knew as an Opel, but I meant what kind of Opel?...I'm trying to learn about whatever I can...I thought I was right, but now I admit I'm wrong, and learned that Opels were sold here, and some of them were rebadged from cars made by GM.

posted by  chris_knows

Oh, okay, I misunderstood. In Europe it was the Omega.

http://autooboz.site.kz/foto/opel/opel_omega(2001).jpg

posted by  vwhobo

posted by  chris_knows

And GM has owned Opel since the late '20s.

posted by  ChrisV

Opel was around in the 1920's?...I thought they came out in the 40's...Good to know.

posted by  chris_knows

Earlier. 1910 Opel:
http://www.autogallery.org.ru/k/o/10op8-14psdoktorwagen1_GeorgeKoopman.jpg

posted by  hondaman

That car actually reminds me of a story I heard on Top Gear; a British race car driver in the 1920's or 30's drove in LeMan's, but the night before he got drunk and went to the race drunk. In the beginning of they'd give him coffee at the pit stops to keep him awake, but it made him jittery so they decided to give him rum instead :laughing:...Funny thing is, HE WON :laughing::hi:

The car just reminded me of that lol.

posted by  chris_knows

Opel was around before GM owned them. But GM bought Opel in '29. Actualy, they owned 80% of Opel in '29. Opel didn't become a wholly owned division of GM until 1931.

posted by  ChrisV

A little history. While many know that Henry Ford was an admirer of Hitler, and the recipient of the highest honor Nazi germany could bestow on a non-German, GM owned the Opel factories that were building Nazi war trucks and tanks. They didn't want the US to go to war, as they were making money off of the German war machine. In fact, they, like Ford, made money off of both the Allied and Axis war machines, building trucks and tank parts for both sides (Ford was also heavily established in Germany at the time).

posted by  ChrisV

A bit more history:- a lot of of the antogonism and resentment towards the US after WWII and to this day is the perception that it had profiteered from the misery, playing both sides of the fence. IBM was another high profile company that had blood on it's hands. The lasting impression is that the US only goes to war if there is a buck in it.

posted by  Wally

AQnd teh problem I have with that is that there is a difference between the nation and the international corporations.

Ford and GM are international, as is IBM. The profit whether we go to war or not. As I said, GM didn't WANT us to go to war as it was making money off of both sides. Going to war meant that many of it's german plants would be bombed.

As is typical, the foreign antagonism is rather misplaced, even if it looks reasonable at first glance.

Part of the American resentment towards foriegn governments is that we spend more money worldwide on humanitarian aid than anyone by far, we spend a ton of money on rebuilding countries we beat in war and then let them be autonomous instead of making them states (like every other nation in history has done when beating a war opponent!), and are made up primarily of people from around the world, yet are treated like a homogenous, imperialist culture that owes the world everything.

posted by  ChrisV

Over here, Opel is Vauxhall. In all of Europe and Southern Ireland they are Opel though. In Australia their equivilent is Holden....all GM products link together somewhere lol. And I never new that Cadilac made a Vauxhall Omega :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

I was going to add that sentiment to my post i.e. the individuals are judged on their high profile representatives (elected or otherwise). Even your response "yet are treated like a homogenous, imperialist culture that owes the world everything" in itself supposes the rest of the world are homogeneous and not individuals.

Insofar as providing aid and the like, well that is not a new concept. The French provided aid to the continental army, the British provided infrastucture and finance to it's empire nations, even Australia annually provides billions to the South East Asian community.

The problem with the WWII episode is that the war torn populace watched on as the US enjoyed a bountiful 1950's from the war profits and post war payments of the Lend Lease, while they did it hard.

Personally I'm glad the US stepped up to the plate and turned the tide of facism and fuedalism, sweeping Europe and Asia.

posted by  Wally

I think the first opel GT was also sold in USA

posted by  OPC Power

I don´t know it... thanks for the information...:thumbs:

posted by  OPC Power

He said we spent more, he didn't say noone else spent any! Go back and read his post, espcially before you quote it. And your first example is centuries old. And of course the Brits would supply their empire nations, they're theirs!!

posted by  jedimario

what is opel made by? i have honestly never heard of them

posted by  musclecarneon

Did you read any of the thread, or did all of the two syllable words get in the way? :banghead:

posted by  vwhobo

You have never heard Opel?? It´s impossible it´s a very famous german make??

posted by  OPC Power

I think that Opel GT was sold in USA between 60´s and 70´s?? Is it true??

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-89674/opelgt/per-1.jpg

http://www.taperformance.com/_borders/Opel_GT.jpg

http://www.automag.be/IMG/jpg/Opel_GT.jpg

Bye

posted by  OPC Power

vwhobo already said the GT was sold in the U.S. lol

posted by  chris_knows

I don't need to reread, thankyou, but it would be nice if you read posts as they are intended. You might even like to read up on how much finance the Brits provided to non Empire countries, even the US, over the last 200 years. Remember clarity of thought is only achieved through knowledge.:wink2:

posted by  Wally

I didn't comment on anything but the examples you gave. You didn't say anything about Briton giving to nations that weren't theirs.

posted by  jedimario

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can buy a brand new Opel at any Chevy dealer here. They are sold under the name of Cobalt...:mrgreen:

posted by  scrounger

and we will soon be recieving the Pontiac-based Cobalt, to be called the G4, from Canada. I thought GM was trying to cut down on platform-sharing.

posted by  moostang104314

Your Message