How do I go about getting a title for my car?

Home  \  General Chat  \  How do I go about getting a title for my car?

I bought a 1997 Eagle Talon tsi and I dont have the title to it... the title is clean i had the vin numbers ran and everything come out clean on the car. the guy I bought it off didnt have the title either and the the guy he bought it off of lost the title and was supposed to file for a lost title and the guy I bought it off of cant get ahold of the guy he bought it off of.. so how do I go about getting the title to my car??

posted by  tsi_girl

make sure car isn't stolen..... dont know about title. Did u make a bill of sale?

posted by  V-Tec

i believe that with the bill of sale, you can go to licensing and apply for lost title. they will run some background on the vehicle, and contsct the past owner, and if all goes well, like it should, youle be stated a title...

im im wrong, someone please correct me, as i need to take care of this situation myself

posted by  mazda6man

Newsflash. Last time I checked, there were still 50 different states, and that's assuming your from the US (well, there are still 50 different states even if you're not from the US). Because of that, there are 50 different answers to your question. Since you made the choice not to share critical information in your question, why don't you just do the smart thing and contact your local DMV?

Gee, why didn't I think of that?

posted by  vwhobo

i, myself would love to contact the dmv, but unfortunatly, i have no time due to work. however, i suppose i could try looking it up on my handy dandy wa.gov website that gives me all the info i need. thanks hobo, i just needed a little brain jolt to think of doing something like that. odd how the obvious always seems to slip by

posted by  mazda6man

well i know the car is not stolen cause i have had it ran through carfax... and i do have a bill of sale but it is with the guy i bought it off of and not the guy who had lost the title will it still work??? i have tryed to file for a lost title and even though i had a bill of sell they still wouldnt let me file... i thought it was almost hopeless for getting a title and i thought if i couldnt get the title then i would just part it out but lets hope i dont have to ...

posted by  tsi_girl

You still didn't tell us where you live. If you live in the states, motor vehicle laws are reserved laws for the states, meaning the law will be different in each state.

posted by  Bronxie

just so u know just because u ran ur car through carfax doesn't mean its clean.... there could of been accidents not reported to insurance companies.

i know a lot of people with clean carfax reports but cars that were in an accident

posted by  V-Tec

But if it did have unreported events, and she finds them, CarFax will reimburse her for the car (or pay some fee).

posted by  chris_knows

how would she find proof of that?

posted by  V-Tec

^paint over spray, or some other sign of an accident

posted by  mazda6man

I live in Oklahoma near Tulsa. And the body of my car is in great condition there are no dents or anything... this is my first car and I got it for $400 but it needs a tranny so like i said if i cant get the title then im just going to part it out cause i know i can get at least $400 out of it... and i know its not stolen cause the guy i bought it off of is a good friend and he has had that car for some time. he is the one who threw the tranny out and just couldnt find time to work on the car so he sold it to me. so i know the car isnt stolen.

posted by  tsi_girl

i dont know if carfax would buy the car back if there was overspray... i think it has to be a major accident, or flood....

posted by  V-Tec

by over spray, i meant signs of an accident

posted by  mazda6man

i know... but i am saying for all u know the accident could of been a fender bender... i dont know the exact policy they have ( in detail), but i doubt they would buy the car back because of something small. I think you might have to have more proof.

posted by  V-Tec

Carfax will buy it back.

Isn't it true the holder of the title can legally take the car back?

posted by  Bronxie

so bassicly even though my car has clean title and i have clean carfax history report on it, but i see some signs of paint overspary and lets say welding, they will buy it back with no questions?

posted by  V-Tec

Moron. Moron, moron, moron, moron. MORON! How many times do you have to be told to STFU. Once again you have no clue what it is you're talking about. As an American citizen you have the right to remain silent, unfortunately YOU don't have the ability. CARFAX WILL NOT but back a car that has been resprayed, accident damaged or even burned to the ground unless it meets these criteria;

Can you pick out the key words with your head shoved up your ass. Let me make it easier for you. DMV-reported incidents. Got it?

For a car to have DMV reported damage (salvage, fire, flood damage), it has to have been totalled by an insurance company. For it to have "odometer problems", it had to be reported during a change in ownership. For it to have a "lemon history" it had to be bought back by a manufacturer. There are exceptions to that, but they are extremely rare.

You need to get over yourself little fella. You know essentially jack sh*t about most of what you type on this forum. You are a pimple on the ass of Car-Forums.com. Please cease and desist immediately.

http://www.carfax.com/guarantee/warranty_card_votc.cfm

http://www.carfax.com/guarantee/hctermsanddef.cfm

Finally, some information based 100% on personal experience. I currently own three vehicles that have been totaled by an insurance company. One of them (bent unibody, not cost effective to repair) didn't get reported to the DMV because we asked them real nicely. Yes, really. Two of them (broken frame on one/stolen and stripped on the other, not cost effective) have had the titles cleaned up by doing a legal paperwork shuffle. NONE OF THEM SHOW ANYTHING BAD ON A CARFAX REPORT. CARFAX, while it is useful at certain times, is nothing more than a way to get more money out of your pocket... Or your daddy's pocket in your case.

P.S. I do not have the time or volition to discuss the titled owners legal rights.

posted by  vwhobo

Could you be a little nicer in your replies?

posted by  SyntheticTrust

You should know by now that asking him to be nice just gets him to reply to you in a rude manner :laughing:

posted by  chris_knows

If tonight somebody invented a way to hit other people in the face with a brick via the internet, tommorrow I'd wear a full face helmet if I were you.

posted by  giant016

I'm not giving up on him. He'll make a breakthrough one day.

Stop sticking up for your boyfriend, let his dad take care of him...

posted by  Mathew

I'll stick up for anyone.

Call you local DMV and see what they have to say. That's simpler then asking us what we think you should do and you'll most likely get the correct answer.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Presumptuous hag, presumptuous hag, presumptuous hag, PRESUMPTUOUS HAG!

I wasn't referring to any particular post. I said carfax will buy it back, not under what conditions or circumstances. People discussed carfax buying back the car and under what conditions, I was confirming the idea that carfax will buy back the car. The REASON I didn't state any specifics is because I didn't have any specifics other than what I stated, which was, just so your rotting old brain remembers, "Carfax will buy back the car."

The fact that you assumed I was responding to a specific in someone else's post is entirely your own sad little problem and just goes to show how much of a priority you make it to insult me.

For someone who claims so much knowledge and life experience, you sure seem bored.

What a cranky old dirt bag.

However I admit, there've been times I've made assumptions about facts here that I was entirely wrong about and you've corrected me. This was not one of those times.

posted by  Bronxie

She's my friend. I know that concept eludes you because you don't have any, but the fact remains.

posted by  Bronxie

Hahaha. She's your eFriend.

posted by  Mathew

Getting online and not making any friends is much more sad than going online and not having any. Ie YOU

posted by  Bronxie

More than you have

I wouldn't associate myself with you, on or offline. I'm not that pathetic.

posted by  Mathew

Hahahaha keep em coming, always can use a good laugh. :laughing:

posted by  Mathew

Thank GOD for her sake.

posted by  Bronxie

I'm actually a very pleasent person to be with in person. Your loss.

Quite humble too, you are.

So since you two are eFriends, are you getting any of that eFriends-with-eBenefits action?

posted by  Mathew

oh grow up.

Are you really interested? I think that speaks for itself.

posted by  Bronxie

Your local DMV office, as stated previously, can give you more information about applying for a lost title. Here's the website for all the local tag agencies in Tulsa County. http://www.oktax.state.ok.us/agntp-w.html

posted by  97Talonchik

I think the only incorrect assumption made was that you know how to express your thoughts correctly. What you should have said is Carfax MAY buy back the car. Saying in general that Carfax will buy back the car is incorrect, because they may not. You f*cked up, stop babbling like a goddamn kid and man up to your mistakes...we all make them.

posted by  giant016

Think about this a second:

You mean you couldn't have figured out on your own that when I said, "carfax will buy back the car" that it was not an absolute statement, and that carfax won't just BUY back the car for no apparent reason at all?

Did I really have to specify? Apparently I have to accommodate the handicapped now.

posted by  Bronxie

I am starting to get rather annoyed with all of the arguing, especially since it sythetictrust specifically asked me to "do your job" and stop all of this bickering. Ironic, isn't it? that the one person who asked such, went off on a one woman vendetta and attempted to take on hobo, knowing just how argumentative he is. Buck up your ideas guys, because this is becoming very repetative now.

posted by  Cliffy

He and Mathew are constantly harassing her, and you're making it sound as if she was in the wrong.

posted by  Bronxie

I'm speaking about all of you. It just made me cross that she asked ME to do something about all of this the other day (even though I'm ignored most of the time!), and now she's provoking vwhobo, knowing what his response will be!

posted by  Cliffy

Well, did you do anything about it when she asked? If not, then what are you complaining about? Someone has to do something. If not you, then her.

posted by  Bronxie

Ok. What do you supose I do? Better still, what's she gonna do about the situation?...she will make matters worse...surely you can see that? I've PM'd Synthetictrust back but she has yet to reply, she has been here since then though. I have a plan as to what I'm going to do about this, but I can almost certainly guarentee that none of you are gonna like it!

posted by  Cliffy

She is upset and rightfully so.

Think about it: What you're doing is essentially the same as if you told a rape victim it was HER fault for going out alone that she got raped.

You can argue that the victim should exercise caution, but in the end, it is not her fault and she is not the one who needs to DO anything, because technically, she should be able to do whatever she pleases and not be raped.

Your target for blame should be the rapist.

This is simplifying it but apparently it needs to be said.

posted by  Bronxie

You cannot comapare the two scenarios, mainly because a rapist is breaking the law, and the situation in general is far more serious than this....Say what you will, but you can't comapare the two situations! I was saying that if you want hobo to stop what he's doing, don't respond to his actions...can't you see? That's what he wants....You're not too stupid to see that, surely? Leave it to me, I will attempt to sort something out...

posted by  Cliffy

What? I was making an analogy - a good one at that. Obviously the situations are different, that's what an analogy is - it compares two different situations.

You are saying, "Well, if you want hobo to stop breaking the rules, then don't 'make' him break the rules."

So the person BREAKING the rules doesn't need to be accountable, but rather the people 'making' him break the rules, right?

"If you didn't want to get raped, you shouldn't have gone out alone."

That's exactly, 100%, what you are telling me.

This is not even disputable.

posted by  Bronxie

Don't patronise me. The point I was trying to get across to you was that you guys are responding to his every move....which IS WHAT HE WANTS. If you want something done about it, just ignor him.

posted by  Cliffy

Cliffy, let me explain the situation to you. The dickless wonder from New York has made it his life's goal to somehow prevail over me on this forum. So far he's failed because he doesn't have the knowledge, experience or education and because he's a girlie man to boot. Because he's failed miserably in his quest over and over, he is now demanding intervention from you. He can't do it any other way. He wants you to alter the rules of engagement to favor him because he's not up to the challenge without outside help. I personally feel sorry for the little fella. He's just using the board bimbo as a handy excuse.

BTW, I read in another post that you and I were the same person. If that's the case, our wife says the trash needs to be taken out. Get on it :wink2:

posted by  vwhobo

Why would I care to prevail over you? Do you think I respect an idiot's opinion? If a mentally handicapped person went up to you and said, "I like your jacket", would you then think, "Wow! I can't believe someone likes it! This is great!" No. You'd be like OK retard gtf away from me.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel towards you, and yes, you are the mentally handicapped one.

I've never looked for intervention or asked for it. I defended a point about a situation in which I was not involved in. Why? Because it was the right thing to do. I know that concept eludes you, but normal people think like that.

You must really have NOTHING on me! Did you really have to pull two things out of your wrinkly female ass to try to make a statement? Crap, forget trying to prevail over you. You already look weak.

Maybe you're just not as sharp as you once were, or maybe you just think you are much better than you actually are. Or maybe you just TRY TOO HARD to put people down and consequently end up doing it for reasons which are not existent. I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say it is the last one.

You're my friend <3

posted by  Bronxie

1)It's hobo's right to express his opinion. You claim (more or less) that Synthetic has the right to say whatever she wants without being punished. Shouldn't the same hold true for hobo (and the rest of us)?

2) In a later post you called hobo an idiot. Ya, it may look like I'm being his bitch...but honestly, he's WAY smarter than you. You may not like him, but that has nothing to do with his intelligence.

3)In response to:
Thats like saying "the Patriots will win the superbowl" and then when somebody points out that you were wrong, you show them how you weren't wrong, because when you said "the Patriots will win the superbowl", that was only under certain conditions, and that it went without saying that you meant the Patriots wouldn't win the superbowl if they lost a playoff game. I'm sure your bookie would agree with you.

When you say "Carfax will buy back the car", you are making an absolute statement by saying will. You made an incorrect statement and stand by it, and you're calling me handicapped?

posted by  giant016

Freestyle rap-off battle?!

posted by  giant016

I swear to God the more I read from you, the dumber I get. Who do you really think the mentally challanged person is in that situation? I'll give you a hint, it's not Hobo. And as for the quip about "maybe you're just not as sharp..., or maybe you just think you are much better than you actually are.." isn't that essentially the pot calling the kettle black? You consistantly boast about how much better you are than everyone else. You flaunt yourself on this forum (only God knows why) and flagrantly whine about not being liked. I wonder why. Do us all a favor and go away. I never thought I'd ever say this, but I'd much rather have NewYorker on this forum than scum like you. You reap what you sow little boy.

P.s.> As far as the "retarded people" you so kindly wave away like they are God's trash, I hope one of them takes a shit on you nice new car. It would serve you right for being such a pompus ass.

posted by  97Talonchik

Done, now tell her to get me a beer, biatch :wink2: :laughing:

As this has already gone way off topic, I'll add some more. Bronxie, that last post you made, that TalonChik kindly quoted, made you sound a bit heartless and as she put it "a pompuss ass"

By saying this....

You pretty much wiped away any regard (however great or small) that anybody here has for you. I understand why you said it, and that you were explaining that that's what vwhobo would say to the person you describe, but I don't think even he is that sour and heartless....Do you? I have three cousins who have special needs, one of which is Autistic, and as such this is quite close to the bone for me. I'll let it go on the understanding that you have no idea what you're talking about, and that you were using the terminology as an example and unintentionally caused offence. We have all said silly things in this thread, and I really don't wanna hear much more.

posted by  Cliffy

your all a bunch of ****ing idiots how about you all stfu and quit crying

posted by  Andrew0261

Oh wow. What a GREAT argument you have there. "YOU KNOW WHAT, Bronxie? You're retarded, not hobo. Oh you definitely got me. You must consider yourself not mentally "challanged".

Huh? How is that the pot calling the kettle black? When did I claim to be better than anyone? Oh.... I didn't.

Are you delusional little girl? When the hell did I do any of that? Go ahead and find me somewhere I've said I was BETTER than anyone. Show me where I "WHINED" about not being liked, other than the off, occasional comment like, "I didn't think anyone liked me." You don't even have an ARGUMENT here. What are you trying to prove? As your ass buddy vwhobo would say, "Think, type, submit."

Oh dear.

What a clever thing to say. I bet that took a lot of deep thought and meditation to formulate such an intelligent response.

I didn't bash retarded people, other than express that they are indeed retarded and can not be taken seriously when offering ideas.

You are a gigantic hypocrite. You preach righteousness and bash me for things I say and how I conduct myself, but do you pay attention to what your sugar daddy says? Apparently you turn a blind eye to that, because it is UNDENIABLE that he steps out of line more than occasionally and he mistreats everyone on the forums.

So shut the **** up and talk to me when you learn how to back up the things you preach by exercising example, not by merely speaking out when you feel it's warranted, then maybe I will respect your sorry arguments and poorly articulated thoughts.

posted by  Bronxie

First off, let me say that I did not say hobo shouldn't state his opinions, but rather that he should be held accountable, NOT synthetictrust, for her being insulted by him.

Secondly, it was to my understanding there were forum rules to be followed. I didn't realize that he can express his opinions while not remaining under the rules. But then, I am guilty of that also.

Tell me this. How can you meaningfully "know" how intelligent I am in comparison to him? You might think you have an idea, but how do you know?

You don't, and the fact that you said that may possibly reflect a bit of your own intelligene, but like I said, how can I really KNOW? ;)

Yes sir. I understand the confusion and I apologize. It was a lazy post and I ddin't specify where I should have. My deepest apologies.

Let me ask you this, Clifford: Why would what I said just now offend you, but the common insult used on these forums, 'retard', does not offend you? Is it not the same thing? You are insulting someone by saying they are mentally handicapped, in consequence, insulting mentally handicapped people.

Explain the inconsistency there.

posted by  Bronxie

Cant we all kiss and make up.

Unfortunately I am sure your question will be taken out of context and used as means to comment about our 'relationship'.

So let me deflect any of that right now.

I also want to say that I do respect vwhobo despite what it may seem. He is not only knowledgable but has proved to be intelligent and though you may think the two go hand in hand, it is actually a rare combination.

However, he knows as well as I, he's an ASS HOLE a lot of the time.

posted by  Bronxie

There is a difference in the way you used the word. I don't particularly like that word myself, which is why I rarely use it. You were typing as though somebody would speak to somebody like something they just trod in because they are mentally handicapped. That's what I took offence to. I wouldn't ordinarilly take offence to the word being used, as I know it's mainly used as a light hearted dig at somebody, rather than a piss take on the true meaning of the word. Also, as the word "retard" is really only a modern day "slang" word if you like, for what it generally means, that's another reason offence is only taken when you use it in the context you did. This is really starting to get repetative now.

posted by  Cliffy

Point taken.

I apologize. I wasn't trying to offend handicapped people.

It was for the sake of comparison.

posted by  Bronxie

But you are still a bitch.

Ha hahahahAHAHAHAHHAA!!!! MUHAAHHAH!!!

Bronxie
97Talonchik
giant016

I laugh at you all.

posted by  My Life, My Era

Apology accepted over here atleast. As I said, I understood what you meant when you said it, it just wasn't the best thing to say IMO. Now, if we've all finished? :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

At least someone isn't anal lol

posted by  Bronxie

Your Message