Driving a USA Car In Canada

Home  \  General Chat  \  Driving a USA Car In Canada

Does anybody know how long I can drive a USA car in Canada (Calgary).

Here’s the Deal...

My brother lives in LA (US Citizen) and has a Lotus Elise. He is thinking of driving it up to Calgary for the summer, then he’s off to Italy for five months.

He is willing to let me drive the car for the rest of the year. He has already put me on as a second driver on his insurance.

Since I am Canadian Citizen & I was wondering how long I can drive the Car before the “Cops” say something.

thanks

posted by  bello1971

Although I can't relate to this situation directly, I always thought you could ude a US car in Canada for as long as you like. I mean it's not like me shipping a UK car over there and using that. Having said that, It is still a different country, and I haven't though about this much before, lol. As far as I'm aware you can use a US/Canadian car in the UK for a few months until you're forced to register it in this country with the DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency), but again, different countries have different licensing laws I guess :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

I don't see any problem with that, and don't know why the cops would hassle you. If you're worried contact your DMV though. They will know for sure.

posted by  giant016

I would ask a cop to make sure. But sweet deal on getting to drive an awsome car for a year :clap:

posted by  greg985

better to do what giant016 says

posted by  True_Brit

as long as you want, until the cops stop you, i beleive you get three months legally, and then you have to have 2 inspections done. 1 will be an out of state inspection apparently ONLY canadian tire can do that inspection and then an out of province, crappy tire should be able to do that too, if the car doesnt have daytime running lights, being sold in america it probably wont, youll have to have that installed to pass inspection, you also need a proper km/h speedo if it is a current vehicle, ask a licensed inspection facility for all the details of bringing american cars into canada, they'll be happy to tell you all about it and alberta will be happy to rip your butthole for 2 inspections at 200$ a piece. this province blows, no wonder we have all the money in the country.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Most cars built after like 2000 have day time running lights here in US. What year is the Lotus? I bet it has them...

posted by  StiMan

I think the first year for the Elise in North America was 2005, so it should have them. It should also have km/h as well as mph.

posted by  chris_knows

Yea, I think it should be fine in both ways. All the cars we own have km/h and mph.

posted by  StiMan

Thats the thing - Transport Canada says the Elise is not allowed here at all.

This is BS - they selling the same car in Toronto for $65000.00 CAD. The US has them going for $40000.00. That is way too much of a mark up.

posted by  bello1971

All cars have MPH and kph (all cars I've seen anyways), depending on the country the car is from originally, either the MPH will be larger, or the kph (like here it'll be the MPH that's larger, and in the US I guess it'll be the same?....other way round in Canada though). I also forgot to mention what Banff has stated already, that obviously regulations will be quite different from country to country.

I am a little confused by this. Are you saying that you already knew it wasn't allowed in the country? Or have you just received this information? :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

I might be wrong here, but I doubt you can get an Elise for sticker. Also, with the CAD/$ conversion it wouldn't be that big a difference, even if you could get one for sticker.

posted by  giant016

Actually, the exchange rate is only about $1.16 Canadian for $1 U.S. Cars are also more expensive here too...A decent 2004 G35 from autotrader.ca is about $28,000 while in Michigan they're about $20,000. The difference is about $5,000 (Canadian) though; far off from the $18,000 he says lol.

posted by  chris_knows

The new Pontiac Grand Prix has only MPH. First car I've seen that way.

posted by  What

ive seen a few american cars that only had MPH speedo's, and no daytime running lights, built after 2000, so, nothing is set in stone, and i highly doubt you cant bring that car into the country, for what legal reason could you not? i am gunna look and see. i wouldnt be surprised, ive heard more ignorant thingss come out of transportation canada than that.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

That is strange....I'm assuming there probably is a reason why....probably want to go for a more contemporary look....maybe...:ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Ok here's the deal! I've done alot of research on this one including a number of scenerios. I actually imported my truck after driving in Canada for 4 months with my American plates. As for you it sounds like your brother is taking it back to the states after he comes back?? If so then you certainly don't want to import it. If he is leaving the car in Canada for good i.e. Either he is moving here or or he's giving it to you for keeps then let me know cause there's a bunch of info you need to know that I am not wasting my breath on unless I have to. And make sure you do before he brings it across the border. As for if he is taking it back you need to make sure that along with having you added to the insurance that he has a canadian non-resident inter-provincial ins. card to show if needed. As for the legality of having the car here well the rules are that after 3 months you either have to remove the vehicle from the country or have it imported. You may be able to get special permission from Canada customs and Border protection so it wouldn't hurt to call. So unless your willing to drive to Sweet Grass every 3 months for a cross border adventure you can try that..........OR you can take your chances and if you get pulled over after 3 months LIE which actually worked for me. But is also the reason I did the import ASAP after I did get pulled over.

Good Luck

posted by  TexTruck

Oh yeah by the way Banff the Federal inspection i.e. the one that has to be done at Crappy Tire.....is free. The work that comes from the inspection well that's another story. I sunk approx $3500 into my truck when all was said and done......although it was mostly the provincial stuff. All I neede for federal was daytime lights which cost about $180 I think. The provincial inspection was a reall P.O with stupid stuff like my hazard lights never worked so I needed a new $450 Multi function switch plus 3 hours labour and I needed to replace my Electronic Brake Control Module and the ABS sensor that was gone to make my ABS pass inspection and etc etc etc. But oh yeah the point was that the Federal Inspection is free :thumbs:

posted by  TexTruck

You would have to make sure the license plate doesn't expire and it should be alright.

posted by  PontiacFan27

Your Message