New York's new Taxi?

Home  \  General Chat  \  New York's new Taxi?

Just saw an article in my favourite car mag regarding news on a new NY Taxi. It's certainly different from the current style of Taxi in the US city. Below is the article, taken from Auto Express. Pics below it...

Picys! (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_website/gallery.php?id=251601)

posted by  Cliffy

it won't fly unless it's a hybrid.

posted by  dvdrose18

Meh, it's a diesel, what more do ya want? :laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

In the city it won't fly, people still associate diesel with noise and pollution, they want "clean and quiet." either electric, hydrogen or hybrid. Not that diesel isn't good, but people don't like it. Why do you think people don't want the VW TDI.

posted by  dvdrose18

People in general don't care what their taxi is running on...Unless they're an environmentalist, lol. That said though, I do think people (Governments mainly) big diesel up too much, as the combination of Buses, Taxis and lorries (rigs?) actually pollutes more than petrol power would...I guess, lol. It's probably less to do with diesel cars etc in the US, and more to do with guzzling V8s....:laughing:

posted by  Cliffy

I don't really like that, but I'd ride in it.

I doubt it will happen in the next couple of years though, I think most of the cabbies in New York switched to hybrids, and they have to pay for the cars, so they probably won't switch until those are paid off.

posted by  chris_knows

These aren't for general consumption, but for fleet use, where diesel is not a problem. And you get enough modern diesels in use where people ride in them regularly, and they become more accepted for the general public.

posted by  ChrisV

I've never been in the back of a Crown Vic, but the back of a Town Car is quite large, certainly no smaller than that picture. What's this nonsense about the Crown Vic being cramped?

posted by  jedimario

But weren't they pushing for the busses and such to be Natural gas because of emissions? and they are for mass transprotation. You would think if they were going to make that big of a change they would do more than throw in a diesel. They have been using a few more honda and toyota vans lately, so a van is nothing realy new.

posted by  dvdrose18

It can get snug if you have more than 2 people or a lot of stuff, especialy if people want to use their laptops and such.

posted by  dvdrose18

Diesel busses running on high sulfer diesel generated a lot of soot and emisions. they are also fairly large engines, so making them hybrids or natural gas or hydrogen makes sense. Ford was working on getting Escape Hybrids into the taxi fleets, but a small engine diesel running low sulfur fuel pollutes less and gets better fuel mileage in this application. And yeah, putting small diesels into minivans would do a good job, as well.

posted by  ChrisV

Well in the back of the Crown Vic they have plastic seats with places to put your hands so it isn't very comfortable especially when you have 2 shiny bracelets on :thumbs: :laughing:

posted by  99integra

You mean riding a taxi is like going to a Baptist college?

posted by  jedimario

I don't exactly get the thing meaning riding in a Taxi is like going to a Babtist college. I don't really understand the analogy I guess you would say.

posted by  Guru

Your Message