Cheapest (price wise) new car

Home  \  General Chat  \  Cheapest (price wise) new car

Hey. First off, sorry for the noobie question

Anyways, I need a car really soon and I'm just a college student. Pretty much, I just need a car that can run and is stable, nothing fancy.

So what's the cheapest NEW car out in the market now?

Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated

posted by  Dents

A location would be nice, as what's available in the UK will obviously differ alot from what's in the US! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Oh, I live America ;)

posted by  Dents

Probably be looking at a Kia...Cheap and they have a good warranty so you're covered. Don't expect to look cool though...:thumbs:

posted by  Mathew

Just curious as to why you want a new car, a slightly used car is almost as good as new, but a fraction of the price. If you are shopping on price alone, you are better off used. A 1 or 2 year old car can be gotten with low miles and a warranty for a nice price.
Either way, new or like new, you are probably looking at either Korean (any Kia or Hyundai) or Domestic [(Chevy: Avao, Cobalt), (Ford: Fusion or Focus), (Pontiac: G5 or Vibe), (Dodge: Caliber)]. Maybe a Honda Civic or Fit, or Toyota Yaris, but I found Honda and especially Toyota dealers less than willing to talk to low budget customers:2cents:

posted by  dvdrose18

dvdrose18 - I guess I'll have anxiety driving a used car...what if it breaks, etc. But the price of a used car IS appealing...
Thanks for the list :)

Mathew - yeah I saw their cheapest is 10,000. Is their quality good?

What's better, a cheap new car or a high quality used car? (in general?)

posted by  Dents

i believe kia and hyundai both come with 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty when new. If you get a used one from a dealer it usually comes with the remainder of the warranty. I know the domestics are trying for similar, I believe chevy has 5 year/ 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
When I say used, I don't mean a 10 year old beater, I mean something like what I bought in 06. a 2003 Ford Taurus, had 50,000 miles, bought it for ~$7,500. No major damage, just a couple scratches. could have gotten a warranty on it for a little more money, but decided i didn't need it. you might want one.
People, like NewYorker, will insist that imports are more reliable than domestics, but it depends on how its used and how its maintained. If you get a used car, ask for a carfax, and a maintenance record.

More later, off to school...

posted by  dvdrose18

I'm not sure if they do anymore, or if they do so in the US, but Kia used to supply something like a 15-yr anti-corrossion warranty, too!

posted by  Cliffy

All I see now is a 5 year 100.000 mile anti perforation.

posted by  dvdrose18

dvdrose18 - yeah, seems like a used car is more appealing for a first time car owner/college student ;)

Thanks

posted by  Dents

Your Message