What Car to Buy

Home  \  General Chat  \  What Car to Buy

Some members make these threads pretty often, but let's say this is the only one I'm making.

I'm looking for a (first) car to buy, which I'm gonna need for university. Basically, here's my criteria:

-I'm gonna drive at least 30 mins in each direction, so fuel economy should be decent--but quality/reliability is more important
-Comfort isn't too important, but it should still be ok for longer trips
-It has to seat 5 (maybe 4 if it's a good car), can be 2 or 4 door--also, I'm about 6 foot, so headroom is good
-I plan on keeping it for a while, so it shouldn't have too many miles (I'm thinking no more than 100,000 miles)
-Can't really decide between AWD/FWD/RWD--if anyone wants to help me out with that
-I can't spend more than $8,000--maybe $10,000 if it'll get me a lot of girls
-convertibles are nice, but only if it fits the other stuff

Some cars off the top of my head are:
2000-2002 Lincoln LS
Mid-late 90's Chevrolet Camaro (V6) (T-Tops anyone?)
Late 90's/Early 2000's Toyota Celica
2000's Acura Integra
Mid 90's Nissan 240SX/300ZX
Mid-late 90's Mitsubishi Eclipse
Earlier model Acura RSX

Something along those lines.

posted by  chris_knows

I'd steer clear of V6 F-bodies. The V8s aren't that much more (plenty of LS1s for under 10K, LT1s for under 5) and gas MPG is barely any better. Insurance will sting though. If you don't want to pay to play (V8), don't bother with the 6 banger. The engine is really the only strong point in these cars IMHO, stick it with the 6 cylinder it's slow, bad in the snow, still pricey for gas/insurance, and theres no V8 to drown out the squeeks and rattles. I guess it would be a good car for kids who want some flash but can't handle a V8 yet...but still.

The Integras and Celicas are zippy cars, look good, and have no major mechanical problems that I know of. Another thing to think of is ROAD TRIPS! Sorry, theres just a certain way of saying it in my head that's best expressed in caps. Anyways, either find a friend with something that has lots of room, or be that guy pimpin the Aerostar. I say get a van and a bike. Cargo when you need it, awesome MPG when you don't. If the majority of your driving is without a passenger and just a book bag, a bike should be a thought.:2cents:

posted by  giant016

I dont know how much an Acura 1.7EL is in canada, but its basically my car with a much more agressive look and more luxury crap in it..I actually saw one in the US with Quebec plates on it, looked so damn mean!

http://www.2loww.com/b-ael02ffl-2-.jpg

http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery/data/f457c545a9ded88f18ecee47145a72c0/ 942_p24541.jpeg

posted by  newyorker

For 10k you could get a Porsche 944 (maybe even a turbo model), as far as the girls go.

For more practical purposes, check out mid 90s BMW 3 series.

posted by  PontiacFan27

I've heard to stay away from Bimmers unless you just really want one and can do all your own work. BMW owners themselves that I know IRL have told me this, not just random Internet people.

posted by  jedimario

Owners...enthusiasts...huge difference in care of their cars whatever they may be.

posted by  BavarianWheels

I think the point was that they tend to fall apart and/or are expensive when they do unless you can fix it yourself.

posted by  jedimario

They don't "fall apart" any more than any other car, but they can be slightly more expensive to fix. No quarrel there.

posted by  BavarianWheels

I've actually been thinking about getting a motorcycle, I'll look into that more seriously. No way my parents would let me have a V8 Camaro, and I have to listen to them because the car's probably gonna be insured under my dad's name (it's cheaper).The EL was only sold in Canada. I can't find too much info on it, but if I'll keep an eye out for one.A Porsche would be sweet but with repairs and everything, I don't think I'd be able to afford it. I like BMWs, but basically what Mario said. I guess girls are priority #2 lol.

Thanks for everyone's help so far :thumbs:.

posted by  chris_knows

You already know my answer:laughing: I'll be honest with you though the mid and late 90's Eclipse are gonna seat 2 people only. Unless you put the girls in the back or have really tiny friends thye'll be uncomfortable. You should be fine sitting in the driver seat but headroom sucks for the most part. Eclipse is a clean car. Girls love em but I don't think it's what your looking for.

posted by  Spanky2324

Chris...the EL was sold in Canada...you live in...Canada

Im just saying there was one in my area with Quebec licence plates on it, not that they sell them here

posted by  newyorker

Sometimes you gotta spell those things out lol. I just checked some car sale sites, and found a couple. If I can find a good price, I'll go for it. I'm looking a lot in Michigan, though, because with the dollars pretty much at par, I can save like 20% on Canadian prices. But that is a cool car. I'm in love with that interior.

posted by  chris_knows

let me say this, even though all those cars are well below me, (I have numerous cars upwards of 100k) I will suggest you to a '95 NSX Acura. IF you need any help please PM ME and I WILL assist you in your purchase...:thumbs:

posted by  solarrr

Which part did you miss? Was it the Max of $10,000? That I wanted something suitable for city/everyday driving? Something that got reasonable fuel economy? That I needed something that fits at least 4 people?

If you have the dozens of cars that you talk about, post a pic. Better yet, send me one. Hell, I'll go to your house to pick it up.

posted by  chris_knows

Hes full of turd, why do you even pay attention?

On a serious note, did you find anything that caught your eye?

Ive got lots of cars at work that you might like, but after import taxes and such, it might not be worth it, and i dont know if you could drive it back and save some shipping fees (not that you cant, just dont know if you would be willing to)

posted by  newyorker

I haven't really been looking, I've been busy (expect a thread on it soon), but I'll try this weekend.

600 miles is a bit far to travel but if you have reasonable prices, it might work out. Can you just give me a ballpark of what they sell for?

posted by  chris_knows

PMing you now

posted by  newyorker

I prefer Nissan. If i enough money i will buy it.

posted by  thomasz

Question: Is Celica pronounced Sell-ick-a or Sell-eek-a?

Sell-ick-a.

Any news on the future purchase? 'Busa? Yeah?!

posted by  giant016

Thanks.

I want a motorcycle, but I checked insurance, if I was the primary driver for a $4,000 bike, insurance would set me back like $9-10 grand a year. I've set my schedule back a bit, since my parents are going away for a month in the summer (par-tay) so I'm set until then, but August I gotta get a car for college.

If I'm getting a bike, it's probably gonna be next April, because I still need to get a motorcycle license and everything. Question though, do I only pay insurance for the months that I drive the bike? Like say I only drive it for 6 months, and the rest of the year it's in my garage. Do I pay 6 months of insurance?

posted by  chris_knows

Depends on the carrier and their rules. For example, if I were to get a miata right now and drive it for 6 months (example) as my 2nd car (weekend toy) id be paying 40 dollars a month. I could call them and say that i wont be driving it for 6 months (example) and they will take 40% off of that price. However thats considering that I keep the car outside on the street. If I keep it completely tucked away in my garage, I wouldnt pay for it at all. Then again, consider it this way.

Insurance companies from what i have seen do their policies in 6 month intervals so you could start your 6 month when you ride the bike and when its over tuck it away for the 6 months and then when time comes to ride again just create a new policy.

This could be completely different becasue I never looked into bikes, you live in canada and you guys have insurance through the govt.

posted by  newyorker

No, Ontario has private automobile insurance. Only our health-insurance is socialized.

posted by  chris_knows

Well there you go then

posted by  newyorker

I own an RSX-s and i am 5'10. 2 inches shorter than you i suppose. and i have no problems with head room or leg room. actually it is very comfortable with the semi bucket seats.

its a 4 seater but when in need it can seat 5. the rear passenger side has a plastic/rubber divider. i have people sit on it anyways, i wouldnt recomend any1 sittin on it if you are planning to drive for more than 30 minutes.

the tank fits about 13 gallons, and since v-tec hits at 5.5rpms, i stay below that and get 320 miles a tank. and that is driving 20 city miles to the train station each weekday and driving about 150 miles on average on the highway each weekend.

theres people in clubrsx.com selling cars all the time.

another good choice that you didnt mention is a 02-06 civic si hatch back. my cousin has one and it actually has more leg room and head room for both driver and passenger. actually you would be pretty surprise how much room this little car has.
the only negative thing i can say about it is, it lacks cargo room.

my pick would be an RSX. and then an integra. although the integras are uncomfortable, its still nice lookin car that is fun & reliable.

posted by  Ki2AY

There might be an easier way since nobody rides bikes through snow, but it's not hard to sign up for insurance every spring and cancel it every fall.

posted by  giant016

So you just repeated what I just said.

posted by  newyorker

Do you even read what you write?

Nowhere in your post did you say anything about canceling the policy every year. Futher, somehow under your plan you pay 60% when you're only on the road 50% of the time. And last, if I could say what you said in one simple sentence...why didn't you?

posted by  giant016

Guys let's stop arguing and go back to talking about me lol.

Thanks for all the help, though.

Car shopping has been put off for a little while, though. I was in a....accident. Not my fault, but until insurance says that (who knows how long that's gonna take), my parents don't let me drive. Once that does happen though, I get a free rental lol.

posted by  chris_knows

Why would I say to cancel it? I said to create a new one when time comes to ride again 6 months from cancelling the old (i.e. cancel the policy after 6 months of riding). I dont have to break it down for chris like that, you on the other hand need to be spoonfed. Shut up :thumbs:

posted by  newyorker

Hmm...so I didn't say what you said.

posted by  giant016

You did, you just said it in a "for dummies" format..coming from you though, its no surprise

posted by  newyorker

Correct ... according to NYer at least.

So which is it??? Either you DID say to cancel it, or he DIDN'T say the same thing as you.
He's right.... you obviously don't read anything you type.
Either that or you lack basic comprehension on the meaning of sentences.... coming from you though, that would be no surprise :wink2:

posted by  windsonian

So he PARAPHRASED what I said for dummies...woo hoo

posted by  newyorker

what? no.... maybe learn what big words like that mean before you use them.

He said to regularly cancel the policy.
you explicitly said "why would i say to cancel it?"

therefore either that statement you made is rubbish, or he did not say the same thing as you .... your choice:

(a) My statement "why would i say to cancel it?" is fundamentally flawed because I did mean to cancel it.

(b) My idea and his were different, and therefore he did not copy from me.

Which is it? Has to be one of them because they're mutually exclusive.

posted by  windsonian

Its sad that you actually take the time to argue for no reason. Clearly he did not read my post before saying something, neither did you. Im not gona sit here and post for you in order to redeem myself, you are still an idiot that wouldnt give up, why should I stoop to your level.

posted by  newyorker

NY'er, you're so stupid and your posts so pathetic that I feel bad for you and your arguing sometimes. Have a good day.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Have a good day too, why not get a life while you are at it.

posted by  newyorker

integra

don't get a shitbox old car for your first one

get a car that's not going to break down, and that's not going to end up a money pit.

posted by  GreekWarrior

Newyorker:

Total Posts: 5,103 (5.46 posts per day)

Nissan_Altima:

Total Posts: 748 (0.72 posts per day)

Too stupid to even form a logical insult. Try again.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

I should have known. Rather than answer the question, you just resort to insults.

Tell me then, where is my question flawed? Or just try to dodge the issue like you do every time you get found out.

posted by  windsonian

Dont buy an older honda.

Mine had a great maintenance record and it still left me stranded quite a few times.

Ive always had great luck with my chevys but then again one was a truck, which most trucks no matter the brand will run for a long long time, and a camaro, which was probably built differently from an aveo haha considering it is pretty much a vette powertrain.

posted by  Enthusiast

I have the same ideas of chris_knows. But though, thanks for all the help.:thumbs:

posted by  thomasz

Surprise surprise ..... Newyorker just goes quiet when he knows he's wrong.....

6 odd posts per day average, and still can't answer a direct question.

posted by  windsonian

hmmm... and still nothing.... still realise you're wrong so try to keep your head down til it blows over and you can go back to making stupid bold statements .... hoping no one remembers that you can't back up what you say.

posted by  windsonian

I've just given up on him. Either he knows he's wrong and will never admit it, or doesn't get it and never will.

posted by  giant016

Yeah, but the problem is that he'll just go and do it again, and then try to argue with us when we point out another mistake.

posted by  windsonian

Get a good kit car, in the UK the insurance maybe a little crazy but you get a real head turner.

http://hulk-movie.f-sw.com/test.jpg

posted by  dawnlp

subaru's are the best bang for buck, the sti is incredible. Otherwise there is no drive like an M power bmw

posted by  muchojackdaniel

Your Message