Summer wheel project

Home  \  General Chat  \  Summer wheel project

Picked up some Rota Subzeroes really cheap yesterday $50 for the set with tires, 2 are shot 2 are good. One wheel has a slight wobble, but im not worried. Its gona get repaired and im going to refinish all 4 of the wheels in the same gunmetal color. Not sure what tires I will get yet, but I love them already. 12.9lbs per wheel, 15x6.5 :)

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3663/img0032kb4.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1186/img0033ew9.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2594/img0034vm4.jpg

First step is to get the tires off, then I can get the repair done and start refinishing.

Also picked up a free in-dash. Guy said it turns on but the screen doesnt move out, so thats a little project as well.

He also gave me 4 Civic EG cornerlamps to play with. I want to see if I can black them out and seal them right so they dont leak, if I succeed I will black out my headlights.

I figure a month till the wheels are ready for tires

posted by  newyorker

/laughs to himself at the irony of a multi-page replacement car thread that was obviously complete bullshit.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Dont worry, I got a little somethin coming. Ill save the surprise for later, say August

posted by  newyorker

The wheels look like they are in decent condition, looks like a cool project. I'm curious about that surprise too though...

posted by  chris_knows

Im worried about the wobbled wheel cause if it cant get repaired then i have to either

a. hunt for a rota subzero in that size and lug pattern, and its not made anymore
b. get a konig minuz and shave the letters around the valve stem off cause they are the only thing that seperate the minuz from the subzero

In-dash is gone, its missing some motor in it that will cost more to get than the unit is worth.

Im gona try to get the tires removed this weekend and start stripping them. Done school on the 19th so I will start painting then.

Not sure on color though. I might leave them unpainted cause they have a polished surface under the paint, ill see what happens.

posted by  newyorker

UPDATE: Just ordered another wheel. The site had one left in that size and lug pattern. $129 and change

Im happy

posted by  newyorker

With all due respect, you change your wheels nearly weekly.

That aside, I thought you decided to sell the car? Now you're throwing more money into it?

Let me guess...another new engine from Japan.

Geez.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Dont worry, its all coming together well for me. Dont try to be a critic either cause you dont know shit about what im doing. When you buy a car, and work, and put money into it, you can talk all the shit in the world, but until then, sit back and watch. kthnxbye

posted by  newyorker

If we have to listen to each new hair-brained scheme you come up with, then I think we have a right to be critical about the hypocrisy in each (ie: then next one usually directly contradicts the last). And don't say "well, don't read it then", because you posted it on an open forum, so you have to deal with feedback.

[Edit]:

So, any of us who (a) work, (b) own our own car, and (c) have spent money on the car can "talk all the shit in the world"?
hmm.... better stop telling us to shut up when we pick holes in your "ideas" then.

posted by  windsonian

Wow, did I call this or what?

See newyorker's Big Dumb Pointless New Car Thread.

posted by  Mathew

:clap: :clap:

posted by  windsonian

Owned.

Notice: I'm not criticizing the mods themselves...I don't care if you somehow dropped 26" spinners on it tomorrow because 1) it's not my car and 2) I don't really care. It's just annoying to hear you change your mind every single day and post about random half-baked schemes.

It's funny that you hint that I'm immature. I might not have a title with only my name on it, but at least I have a life.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

still driving the beige civic?

you need a project car badly

posted by  nighthawk

Like I said, I am hoping to have all done in August, if not, I will update anyway. Im not giving anything away just yet.

posted by  newyorker

Good cause I dont want to hear about it.

And PS, if the wheel didnt have a warped face you justw asted your money cause a complete refinish including trueing and removing and dings or curb rash plus the choice of your finish outside of chrome runs like 80 bucks.

posted by  Enthusiast

Maybe around you, here I talked to our wheel guy at work, and wholesale price on it was going to be the same as a new one (130 actually) and a new wheel is still better than a repaired one.

posted by  newyorker

Aww, c'mon, we're dying in suspense.

You'll have 5 other ideas before August anyway, so how will we know which one THIS idea is???

posted by  windsonian

I think I'm going to start making threads to let everybody know that I changed my oil. Oh, wait, I'm thinking about changing my oil. My choices are Royal Purple, German Castrol, or Mobil 1. I just can't decide.

posted by  giant016

LOL :thumbs:

posted by  BavarianWheels

Omigawd synthetic?

posted by  chris_knows

I dont believe you. Pics or ban.

posted by  Enthusiast

New wheel got here today and it looks mighty sexy in gold...but i duno how gold is gona be on my car?? other 4 are gunmetal..opinons on colors??

posted by  newyorker

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4527/img0485lu9.jpg

posted by  newyorker

I'd suggest you Photoshop the wheels on your car with every color (probably just gold, gunmetal/black, or white) that you're thinking about and decide what looks best.

posted by  chris_knows

THe thing is I think they are polished underneath, so if i just use aircraft stripper on the wheel and get the paint off ill have it polished. the problem is clearcoating bare metal I dont know how well it will bond. here is what a polished finish is like.

http://urbanimport.com/images/products/rota/fullpol.JPG

I mounted both on my car, the gunmetal, and the gold, and I really like the gold but maybe thats because its clean and the gunmetal ones are turd dirty.

posted by  newyorker

Okay I am almost positive they arent polished under the paint.

Second you dont clearcoat something after you polish it. It will yellow the finish. You either leave it polished and replolish it every once in a while or you finish it with Zoop Seal which is what I'd recommend.

If you want a polished finish do it yourself. Its not hard.

posted by  Enthusiast

Your Message