Hello guys, I have a legal question for you.

Home  \  General Chat  \  Hello guys, I have a legal question for you.

I'm Shahar from Israel,
I'm going to Ireland in the 6th of July and me and my friend want to rent a car, the problem is that we are only 18 years old, I tried to search in Irish car-rental websites, and I haven't found any place who rent a car to 18 years old people.

Can you please tell me if it's legal to rent a car if you are 18 years old in Ireland? if so, can someone show me a website whos allow this?

posted by  Shahar

It's probably legal, but most companies won't rent to anyone under 21-yrs of age for insurance reasons. :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

My parents rented a car a couple days ago, and they couldn't put me on the insurance because there are restrictions for drivers under 21 (I'm in Canada though)--some places it's 25.

Some places do rent cars to drivers under that age, but you have to pay more in insurance. Call or email as many companies as you can, some should let you.

posted by  chris_knows

Thanks guys, I really should try sending some emails...
anyway, the driving in Ireland is on the left side of the road, and it's pretty hard to drive like that (I already did once when I've been to cyprus, but on a mini-bike).
So me and my friend consider the possibility to buy a bicycle which will be much easier and cheaper transportation.

posted by  Shahar

A bicycle or moped will probably be your best options. For example, I don't know any places here in the states that will even rent a car to you if you're under 25. I heard a rumor that moving vans like UHaul can be rented by minors, but don't know.

posted by  giant016

New York and Michigan will rent to 18 year olds, but you pay a huge surcharge and astronomical amounts in insurance. Not worth it. :2cents:

posted by  97Talonchik

I've also thought about renting a moped or some other 50-125cc bike, but I have a licence only for a car, I don't know how it goes in Ireland, do you need a licence for a bike? or if you have a licence for a car thats enough?

posted by  Shahar

Not sure what it's like where you live, but in the UK you need at least a CBT (Compulsary Basic Training) certificate to ride a Moped, unless you passed your driving test before 2001 I think. The same rules probably apply in Ireland evenh though the republic of Ireland isn't part of the UK. It also depends on what your license lets you do in other countries.

posted by  Cliffy

So I think that I'll go for the Bicycle anyway... :wink2:

posted by  Shahar

Your Message