Your opinion

Home  \  General Chat  \  Your opinion

Allright, so I can't stand Nancy Grace, yet often end up watching her, maybe just to get mad. Anyways, she keeps running the story about Nick Hogan's racing incident and the passenger in his car who will likely be a vegatable. She makes the passenger sound innocent, never downplaying the fact that he was a Marine, as if that has anything to do with anything. Then people voice there opinions which Nancy agrees with, one of which starting out by saying how outraged she is that people are saying it's the kid's own fault for getting in the car. The reasoning? None really given, basically ramblings about Nick's past driving record which have nothing to do with the other kid, mature enough to be given a firearm, yet somehow not mature enough to make his own decisions to get in a car that will likely be driven triple digit speeds.

I'm guessing you know my opinion; am I alone or is what I am seeing a small fraction of the population who won't take responsibility for their decisions?

posted by  giant016

I wonder who else watches Nancy Grace...I catch her sometimes, but can't stand her. I remember a couple days ago she was talking about the Hogan thing, and I watched for a while but got bored, it's just the same thing over and over.

Nick is a terrible person for what he did, and he showed no remorse for his actions--I think he's planning on getting a show while he's on probation--so I'm shocked he just gets a slap on the wrist, but his passenger is responsible for his own actions. I'm pretty sure from a legal standpoint, though, Nick's guilty for what happened to his passenger.

posted by  chris_knows

While we might feel morally opposed to the decision the lawmakers have enacted regarding responsibility being placed on the driver, it is the law. You are responsible for everyone in your car like it or not. I don't think it's saying that we are free from any bad decisions we made by getting in said car, it's that we have no actual control of the car itself, the operator does therefore, therein the responsibility lies.

posted by  97Talonchik

Legally, this responsibility is shared by both the car's driver and the car's owner. Essentially, the driver is responsible for driving the car in a safe manner and the owner, if different from the driver is responsible for maintaining control of who is allowed to drive a car.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

According to Wikipedia he is serving an 8 month prison sentence. Serves him right imo. For someone who earned a Formula D license then crashed a car whilst street racing is just stupid. I would have thought he would have the car control to keep it on the road. Guess he needs to grow up before driving daddy's car.

posted by  fudge

He was drunk.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

From what I undestand he was under legal limit for an adult at the time of the crash (they gave a breathalizer 3hrs later). Yes, very illegal for a minor, but that's probably less than 2 drinks for a kid his size, and if he were 21 he wouldn't be DUI. I doubt that was the primary factor in the crash.

posted by  giant016

What did he register when they finally did the breathalizer? After 3 hours I would assume his limit dropped pretty good unless he was still throwing back, so presumably he could have been drunk at the time of the crash, 3 hours previously...right?

posted by  97Talonchik

According to Wikipedia, 2 hours after the crash, he blew a 0.055. He's under 21 though, so he isn't allowed to have a blood alcohol content of more than 0.02--which he was charged for.

posted by  chris_knows

As Chris said he blew well under the limit 2 or 3 hours later. They did the calculations and at the time of the crash he would have been under .08%. Illegal, but not really a factor IMHO.

posted by  giant016

Your Message