Who owns who?

Home  \  General Chat  \  Who owns who?

I was just wondering what car companies own what car companies.
I know chrysler owns dodge and jeep, and GM owns chevy saab and well a lot of stuff, and I thought ford and mazda were connected. But I'm not sure which companies are completly seperate or which ones are subdivisions like honda and acura. And then there is DSM a collaberation of two companies that I thought were completely unrelated.

It all gets confusing, so can anyone clear up who owns what?

posted by  Zalight

hokay...

I'll do this from what I know off the top of my head...

GM
Chevrolet
Pontiac
Saturn
Saab
AM General/Hummer
Cadillac

Ford
Ford
Mazda (partial ownership)
Mercury
Lincoln

DaimlerChrysler
Chrysler
Dodge
Mercedes-Benz
Jeep
Mitsubishi (partial investment)

The VW Group
VW
Audi
Lamborghini
Skoda
Bentley
Seat
Bugatti

then theres Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura - these are companies that make structurally ideantical cars in two different classes.

and then there's BMW, who owns Rolls-Royce.

posted by  SuperJew

Not to mention a huge selection of cars that are made in eastern countries that are probably directly correlated with some big name auto manufactuer. Or ones that are also owned by other companies owned by other companies.

BMW owns:
-BMW
-Mini
-Rolls Royce

Daimler/Chrysler owns:
-AMC (brand discontinued)
-Chrysler
-Dodge
-Eagle (brand discontinued)
-Hyundai (Daimler/Chrysler only owns 10%)
-Jeep
-Maybach
-Mercedes-Benz
-Mitsubishi (Daimler/Chrysler owns 37%)
-Plymouth (brand discontinued)
-Smart

Fiat owns:
-Alfa Romeo
-Ferrari
-Fiat
-Lancia
-Maserati

Ford owns:
-Aston Martin
-Ford
-Jaguar
-Land Rover (bought from BMW)
-Lincoln
-Mazda (Ford owns 33% of Mazda)
-Mercury
-Volvo cars

Fuji Heavy Industries owns:
-Subaru

General Motors owns:
-Buick
-Cadillac
-Chevrolet
-Daewoo (GM owns 44%)
-Fiat (GM owns ~20%)
-Fuji Heavy Industries (GM owns ~20%)
-GMC
-Holden
-Hummer
-Isuzu (GM only owns a percentage)
-Oldsmobile (brand discontinued)
-Opel
-Pontiac
-Saab
-Saturn
-Subaru (GM owns 20%)
-Suzuki (GM only owns a small percentage)
-Vauxhall

Honda owns:
-Acura
-Honda

Hyundai owns:
-Hyundai
-Kia

Nissan owns:
-Infiniti
-Nissan
-Renault (Nissan owns 15%)

PSA Peugeot Citroen owns:
-Citroen
-Peugeot

Porsche is an independent company (they do work very closely with VW, however)

Renault owns:
-Nissan (Renault owns 44%)

Toyota owns:
-Lexus
-Scion
-Toyota

Volkswagen owns:
-Audi
-Bentley
-Bugatti
-Lamborghini
-SEAT
-Skoda
-Volkswagen

*Side Notes*
GM owns 20% of Fuji Heavy which owns Subaru

Rollys Royce is primarily an independant company that makes its money not from cars but from selling airplane and military technology to people other than the USA

Daimler Chrysler is simply a name, it is truly Daimler Benz. Mercedes bought Daimler Chrysler. So Daimler Chrysler is really German.

Jaguars are not bad because they are made by Ford. If anything Ford turned gas guzzling Jaguars to newer more efficient cars.

GM rented its headquarters from Ford, because Ford owned the building in Downtown Detriot.

So yeah, all the car companies got their hands in one anothers pockets. They all influence each other and I would'nt be dammed if there was one man, or company that owned a good percentage of all the car companies. :)

posted by  DSMer

Very nice! I had all the Domestics not the Euros! Nice job DSM!

posted by  StiMan

Well i got one thing to add to the GM line up...

GM owns the Geo company IE. Geo Storm,Geo Metro, Geo Prism

posted by  83camaro

only not...Geo died a while ago, Chevy took over the models, but they're dead now as well.

posted by  SuperJew

hmm confusing...euro cars,asian cars,US cars...combine? their not like same company right? i think they ust invest with one another am i right

posted by  BigBadBrat

Um no.. THere are still Geo's around, Its not a Chevy Storm, a Chevy Tracker, But a Geo Storm, Geo Tracker, ect ect, Chevy owns that company now, its a subdivision, you dont see a prism on the Chevy website do ya? i dont.

posted by  83camaro

yeah, thats because chevy KILLED THE MODELS.

they killed em a few years after acquiring the brand...

http://www.new-cars.com/2003/2003-chevy-tracker.html

http://www.epinions.com/auto_Make-2002_Chevrolet_Prizm/display_~full_specs< br />
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/default.aspx?make=Chevrolet&model=Metro&s rc=map

and that's why you can't trust the website.

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s26/smilies-31430.png

posted by  SuperJew

I did'nt feel the need to add GEO, the company was never big to begin with, and it does'nt even exist in law abiding form as of today. Sure the models were carried over by Chevy into almost identical forms of cars, but thats not the point I was attempting to reach.

No all the cars, even if they are made by the same compnay, are not the same. Owning 57% of Microsoft stock means you're the majority shareholder, but that does'nt give you the right to walk in the office and say you want the windows logo to be bright pink. Car companies merge with bigger car companies for financial stability. Sure some companys share similar engines and chassis, i.e Nissan/Infiniti Saturn/Chevy etc.., but thats because the two companies directly work with each other.

Sure AstonMartin is owned by Ford but the people who make Mustangs can't tell AstonMartin how to develope the V12 Vanquish. Its merely for legal and financial stability. Owning a company, or stock of the company does'nt always give you the right to be the boss. However, when somones got 57% of your nuts in their hand and you need 50% of them for yourself to live, you tend to obey the person who holds more of your assest.

Unless you're a company like Porsche. You are CEO of the company and you own greater than or equal to 50% of the stock. Or people within your own company control more than 50% of the company. No one owns you, and you operate under your own business.

posted by  DSMer

Umm... no.. You are wrong! (Thanks for the Pimp Slap SJ!)
Learn how to Read 83camaro... :read:
:stupid: (To 83camaro)

Yup, they are all the same company. Just like Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz are owned by the same company: Daimler-Chrysler. Etc... :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

One thing to remember, while the divisions of GM and Ford are just that these day, they were outside companies at one time (Lincoln for Ford, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick, Opel, etc for GM) that the parent companies bought and completely absorbed.

Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, and Toyota/Lexus are different in that the upscale brands were invented by the parent companies, and were never separate companies bought and now owned by the parent companies.

This is a fundamental difference. Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus were never actual companies.

posted by  ChrisV

Very impressed by DSMer's full frontal knowledge of the auto ownership.

One tiny addition to the thread... AM GEneral is not owned by GM. GM owns Hummer. AM General is very much their own entity, regardless of how they share chassis'.

posted by  mosquitotruck

General motors:
Chevy
Caddilac
pontiac
GMC
Buick
Hummer
saab
Holden
Vauxhall
Fiat (owned by GM ,but fiat owns these):
Alfa Romeo
Lancia
Ferrari
maserati
Japanese owned by GM:
Isuzu
Subaru
Suzuki
Toyota (who also owns):
Lexus
Daihatsu

AND DON'T ANYONE FORGET WHO MADE THE BIGGEST PROFIT LAST YEAR: Exxon Mobil, Who owns Mobil, none other than GM

By the way GM is partners with Mercedes, who owns Chrysler who owns whoever else.

posted by  aussiek2000

I didn't know Toyota was a subsidiary of GMC?

posted by  Wally

or that they are partnered with DCB(true name is actually DaimlerChrysler-Benz)

or that they own maserati, as well as ferrari, or mobil....

interesting, considering gmac is filing for chapter 11....

anyone smell the bullshit meter rising?

posted by  dodgerforlife

DSMer's greatest glory. C&P ing at it's best.

posted by  Godlaus

Your Message