What makes a car street Illegal?

Home  \  General Chat  \  What makes a car street Illegal?

Generally, say, in the US....since no one will know about canada.

What makes a car street legal or not legal.

Does it have to do with emmisions? noise? speed?

Like i know if you take out your cat converter, bam, the car is illegal. but how much do you have to mod a car to make it illegal?

i've always wondered about this...anyone know the exact details or where i can find it?

posted by  Mathew

I've always wondered why they have to change the skyline so much up @ motorex to make it US street legal. =/

posted by  b_DuB13

The skiline in Lefthand drive from Japan were they drive on the left side of the road.!!!

posted by  Ericrulz

*sigh*
yes, but you can drive right side of the car in the states. Motorex owns a monopoly, as they are the only big company that imports skylines. They chage out the glass (when skylines are crashed in japan, it isn't pretty), and put in some new EPA restrictions and something new in the body kit, new exhaust, etc, etc small stuff not worth what motorex charges.

Also, it all depends on the state you're in. If you're in the states, and you're in california, any car that generates more than 50 Db is illegal (sarcasm). I don't think there is any horsepower limit, but things like N20 are illegal for some weird reason when 20 psi turbos are legal as long as they make EPA requirements. (Note=N20 is legal to install, but illegal to use.)

posted by  Godlaus

emmissions... car hight, to low, to high... dangerous (in the terms of will it insta-kill you in an accident, will it explode when you turn it on, does it have seatbelts...) those sort of things

posted by  mazda6man

I think what you ment to say was they are righthand drive when they leave japan and then they have to change it to lefthand drive for you yanks.

posted by  GreekWarrior

No, they dont' HAVE to change it for us. We can have right hand drive cars here. Many peopl edo (including postal carriers).

There are actually two issues here: Federalization and local regulations.

bringing a car from out of the US involves federailzation. Essentially, bringing it up to DOT and EPA standards for the year it was built. This can mean installing airbags, door side impact beams, differnt bumper structures, lighting, ride height, etc for DOT compliance, and emissions controls or even completely new engines to meet EPA compliance (the EPA requires 100k emissions warranty certification, and it requires 100k testing on each certified engine family). This is extremely costly to do, and not too many shops are certified to do the work.

If the car is older than 25 years in the US, however, these rules are relaxed.

As for local regulations, there are noise requirements, tire coverage requirements, local emissions rules, etc. Some places are pretty strict, others are not. Back where I lived in Washington State, before movong to Baltimore in '99, I could have installed a '70 BOSS 429 V8, with huge dual carbs, and no catalytic converters, in a brand new Mustang, and no one would have cared. That's how I built my V8 RX7, with a '74 Ford 302 in an '86 FC. Legally. Here in MD, the engine has to be the same year as the car or newer, and with all factory emissions equipment intact.

There are a lot of arguments over whether a car is a street car or not on message boards. The rule of thumb is this: if it has legal plates and insurance, and is driven on the street, it's a street car. Some places that means very few mods. Others could mean a complete Pro Street drag car on slicks, such as this big block Lincoln:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/Nats.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

AH, thank you for that, ChrisV.
BTW that's one SICK Lincoln ^_^

posted by  b_DuB13

[QUOTE=Mathew]Generally, say, in the US....since no one will know about canada.

What makes a car street legal or not legal.

In Canada that just depends on how much weed is in the glove box...

posted by  99hatch

uhm.... :ohcrap:

posted by  Satty101

Your Message