New Car, Enlighten Me =)

Home  \  General Chat  \  New Car, Enlighten Me =)

Hey, I know you guys probrably get asked this question 50 million times...but I can't seem to find one so i can just look at the answer...anyway, I was thinking about getting a car...only problem is I have to have something quick. I drive a bike now and I love the xcell. I drive other peoples cars and they go way to slow. So my problem...I need a quick car, that I could maybe modify later when I get the money, that is fuel efficient...won't cost me a lot on insurance, and i can get for under $8k I guess and example would be an eclipse, but I don't know if i want to go with that car seeing as every1 has it, and I don't know if it is a good car, Thanks for any and all help

posted by  sepher4

On a totally different note...I'm also looking for a job, I like messing with computers and I think that i would also enjoy working on cars. What would be a good job dealing with cars/computers that a full time student could pull of working that is fairly interesting, pays well, and has relatively flexible hours? Thanks again =P

posted by  sepher4

Hmmm... new vehicle, under 8k, very fast, good gas milage, low insurance.

All signs point to another Bike! come on its just about to get into riding season, so keep your motorcycle and keep saving money, that way, when the winter comes, you can buy an even better car than you could afford now.

posted by  Zalight

The only problem with that is I need a car's space...I like the bike a lot but it's not logical right now....

posted by  sepher4

Get a beater car and keep the bike

posted by  NISSANSPDR

heh, that conflicts with the insurance part....i'm on my own because my wonderful parents have to many accidents and it would be higher for them to have me on it =/

posted by  sepher4

All i was wondering was what good cars are out there...for under 8k and get good gas mileage

posted by  sepher4

The 88-91 honda civic CRX...but im biased :thumbs:

posted by  Zalight

An old Mini Cooper probably gets great gas mileage considering it has like a 1.3 liter engine or smaller

posted by  NISSANSPDR

No offence to the crx and cooper, but that's not my style...i really don't like either, i know you guys are trying to help but I want somethinng that at least looks relatively sporty. something like 3000gt, eclipse, hell maybe even a honda civic, but the main thing is gas mileage, and cost of the car and insurance

posted by  sepher4

okay first off, are you saying that a civic looks sportier then a CRX?

You could find an eclipse GSX or talon TSI for 3-5 grand, and they are very fast, fun cars. Plus all wheel drive never hurts!

posted by  Zalight

No i'm not saying that, but I know what car you are talking about it's the hatchback looking one right? I really don't like hatchbacks =P but yeah, looks like i'm going with an eclipse or talon...thought there would be more cars out there like those, ah well, thanks for the help

posted by  sepher4

If you're looking for great gas mileage, the turbo eclipses/talons dont get great gas mileage. But if you dont get the turbo one, you wont get great speed. so...its a catch 22.

posted by  Mathew

Get a eagle talon 2.0 litre, turbo awd, 200hp, you can get one for about 3k and
mod it out with the extra 5k

posted by  Eclipse_2004

what kinda gas mileage are we talking about losing from turbo to reg? and what kinda price diff.? also, will the turbo be classified as a "Sports car" in the insurance's eyes, rather than the sedan i think the eclipse is classified as

posted by  sepher4

yup. A sports car is clssified as 2 doors (according to my insurance agent) except for some exceptions (sti, evo). the 3000gt non-vr4 is one of the most expensive cars to insure, for me (17 high school student with perfect record), would cost around 5 grand a year. Not very practicle, considering that it's not even turbocharged. errrr...having a turbo won't really help your gas mileage in the low RPM, only in the top end, thats why so many people get superchargers.

Side note = on the talon, it would cost 3k to buy and 3k to fix, 99% of people out there don't take care of their cars, or even remember to change the oil. Always double the buying cost to figure out how much you have to pay, repairing the previous owner's mistakes is costly.

posted by  Godlaus

about the 3000gt,(i have a stealth, same car) it has ok gas mileage but isn't even that fast unless worked on, lots of potential in the 1/4 but i would advise you to really consider getting a beater. not like a wagon or sum crap i mean like a datsun. my buddies got a datsun and i have to tell you its lots funner to drive than my stealth. if you have a bike then **** the idea of getting some car that will drain your funds and won't even give you that same thrill as your bike. but that just my opinion

posted by  choke

I say go take a looky at the car that DSMer has posted on his sig. Then try to get your hands on one.

posted by  VMJYogi

DSMer would be who? PDR?

posted by  sepher4

If i was you i would probally get a 1999-2002 Mercury Cougar. Very cheep, very cool looking and and with a 2.5 L engine with 165 lbs torque, 170 hp it will scoot you around just fine. :mrgreen:

posted by  whiterider

DSMer is a guy that posts here if you look for him then check the car he has on his signiture you will know what to buy.

posted by  VMJYogi

Your Message