Am i "riding the clutch" if i do this?

Home  \  General Chat  \  Am i "riding the clutch" if i do this?

Hello people, my name is Ryan, i'm new here.

I have a question. Let's say i'm slowing down (released the gas) and my speed is somewhere between 1st gear and 2nd gear speeds, then i need to accelerate again. Am i "riding the clutch" if i accelerate from 2nd gear but "help" it a bit by slightly depressing the clutch at first? just so the car doesn't shake?

Because if i switch to 1st gear instead, the revs are too high and the engine is unhealthily loud.

posted by  Tabby

put her in neutral, neutral never hurts :thumbs:

posted by  Eclipse_2004

Yes, you are riding the clutch when you do that.

Look, if it lugs in second gear because you are going to slow for that gear, then putting it in 1st gear will not rev your engine "too high."

I guess you mis-understood. :screwy:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Thanks. Perhaps i do get a bit paranoid about the car shaking if i don't apply the clutch a bit.

posted by  Tabby

You shouldn't let the car shake rattle and roll you should downshift a gear. :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

don't release the clutch too quick

posted by  choke

You can release the clutch as fast as you want when you're changing from 1 to 2.. 2 to 3.. etc. It's just from a dead stop that you have to ride it a little (well not HAVE to :wink2: )

When changing from one gear to another, you want the motor to be between 1000-1500RPM in the gear you are changing to, it's bogging down the car because you're not giving it any gas, you have to give it gas (after you've de-clutched) and get 'er up to near 2grand to get a nice smooth ride.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Your Message