Little advise please.

Home  \  General Chat  \  Little advise please.

ok, im 16 coming on 17 and as u probably can tell allready im looking for advise on cars, and milege and all that malarky,ive been looking around at a few cars and ive taken a liking to the vw polo and golf, also honda civic, and a few others but really its the golf and polo, i was wondering wether 100 odd k for a polo is worth considering to buy my cash situation is about 2k as its my 1st car but i recon i could push it for the right car sooo ill stop blabing now lol, is 104,000 miles on a vw polo ok ive been told that it hasnt been raged about but i cant be sure as the owner is a boy and seems to be that type but there we go ???

posted by  Billerance

I would NOT settle for a polo, im sorry, but they run like s**t. Too many probs with the car, better of gettin a golf.

posted by  Zenith

thats 1 way of putting it i suppose cheers for advise though.

posted by  Billerance

If you want to get a bang for your buck get a Honda Civic they last long and are great cars to have. I had a 1995 Honda civic DX with 130,000 miles on it when i bought it. i got it for 3500 and it would of lasted me a long time if some kid wouldnt of ran me off the road on the freeway and rolled my car. i walked out with no scratchs or any thing. so if you want to live get a civic. i now drive a 1988 535is BMW that i got for 2000 with 180000miles on it but they last 300000miles.

posted by  Sniper1

A car can last for 10,000 miles or 300,000 miles provided how it was maintained and how it was driven. I've had a crappy ford, and ChrisV has had an amazing ford. Personal experiences differ.

2k? I'd either buy a beater that requires some work, so that I could get it cheap, or I would save up some more for a better car. 4k is a good amount to work with, 2k, you don't have as many options.

thanks for reviving this thread, by the way.

posted by  Godlaus

OK man some cars last longer then others do. Like a Honda civic could go longer then a volswagon bug. but ya it does depend on the care taker. it also can depend on what the cars ratings are like.

posted by  Sniper1

Do you have any proof to back-up that statement? Because I am 100% sure that's bull that a civic will last longer than the beetle, for lots of them (most of them around here) are TDI, where no civic is. That's just your opinion, don't state it as fact. Even if you were talking normal beetle normal civic, equal care, they'd both die about the same time as eachother.

Civics don't last 300k miles either, just because one out of 1000 did doesn't mean they all do. They'll last less than 200k miles on average, almost all cars do. You don't go by the high, you always go by the medium. Otherwise I could just as easily go by the low I've seen of 35k km, and say all Civics last 35k km.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

I think you'll find Sniper's statement pretty spot on actually, the owner of the car has alot to do with how long it lasts, for example, your average 85yr old may ride the clutch a little, but chances are their car, being driven everywhere at the relevent speed limit and never having been thrashed, will last a heck of alot longer than the same car (or similar) with your average Boy (or Girl :hi: ) racer driving it!

I'd say the second paragraph rings a more true though :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Haha, I know the driver has a lot to do with it, hense me saying "equal care...". If both vehicles got the exact same care, the difference between how long they last would be very minute and not worth shedding any sweat over. Volkswagen is actually getting a pretty good name in the buisness for quality too, their parts are actually of decent quality (though expensive), I can't say the same for Honda. What I'm trying to say is it isn't always how long the vehicles will run for, it's how many repairs you have to do and how much labour you have to pay for (if not mechanically inclined) throughout the life of the vehicle. Personally, I'd take a Volkswagen way before any Honda due to the repair factor.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

I see.....probably got our wires crossed a little bit there lol. I too would have a moderb VW over a Honda....in most cases anyways, it would have to be a TDI though :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

TDI is the only way to go now'a'days :thumbs: The TDI Jetta's don't even drive half bad, I actually like them.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Your Message