Wheels vs. Rims

Home  \  General Chat  \  Wheels vs. Rims

Thank you for allowing me to set the record staight yet again. A wheel is what your tire mounts on and the the assembly is mounted on the car. Wheels may be one piece, composite two or three piece or spoked (yes there are variations but you get the drift).

A rim is only one part of the wheel assembly. The best analogy I can give is to think of your old Huffy, you had a hub, spokes and a rim. You could mount the tire on the rim all day long but without the rest of the assembly you weren't riding anywhere.

Using the word rim to describe a wheel is nothing more than ebonics creeping into general vocabulary and the practice in my opinion is sickening. When someone says "rim" when they mean "wheel" it simply shows their ignorance. When they continue to do so it shows their stupidity. Or that they're a college boy.

posted by  vwhobo

the tire is the rubber black thing that you roll around on. wheels are the things that your tires go on. rims as opposed to hubcaps are more showy. sorta like dubs... or 20 inch rims. your tires can mount to both. rims is just another name and simply means that you dont nee hubcaps.

posted by  theunbelivaBULL

Ok...let's set the record straight!!

What is the correct name of the four things tires mount to?

I believe the correct name is a 'wheel(s)'.

posted by  BavarianWheels

But 'rim' by definition is an edge of something...

and it sounds so "ghetto."

How refreshing to hear someone say what you just did, vwhobo. I find myself correcting people when they use the word "rim" when speaking of the wheel. Most just look at me and continue...not ever realizing their error. And I agree...the continual use of the word "rim" when speaking of a wheel...is just...asinine.

As silly as it may seem that's a litmus test I use when interviewing prospective employees. I have never ever heard an experienced, educated tech say "rim". On the other hand the oil changer/floor sweeper types use it alot. They just don't usually get hired by me. ;)

posted by  vwhobo

Not silly at all!! Quite a good test, IMHO.

Also...I get tired of seeing ads for "rims" from tire and wheel shops. Some I've seen are even large chain retailers...I would fire the ad crew if my company was doing such.

Retailers unfortunately pander to the lowest common denominator. Here's one that really pisses me off. There's a VW dealership about 50 miles from here and on their TV ads they spell it VolkswagOn. When I made a point to mention this to them (no, not me) they tap danced and said they've been selling them for 20 years, what do I know.

posted by  vwhobo

OH MY GOD!!If I had people like that working for me I would seriously fire them.It's a dealership,and they don't even know how to spell the name of the manufacturer that they are selling.That's just sad.

posted by  vwmaniac

WTF are you going on about? As near as I can tell deciphering his post he's saying he's not even smart enough to be a dumbass... Or somthing like that.

posted by  vwhobo

Ok bunch of dumbasses a tire is a tire you should know and a wheel is anything in beyond your tire besides your brakes and swingarm and beyond understand this site has no smartuns!

posted by  Shift

i think i speak for everyone when i say:

posted by  asa67_stang

please see this (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1438/url) post and re-post.

posted by  SuperJew

Uh... NOT!!

For DodgeRida67:

Check this page out for a clue...

http://ford-wheels.com/difference.html

BTW...this is the thread I was talking about...

Talk about thread revival...

I'm waiting...DodgeRida67...

*Waits with anticipation*......congrats on your 2000 posts btw Bav....I WILL catch u up lol..Cliffy=post whore?

posted by  Cliffy

We already resolved this in the other thread dude. :laughing:

posted by  DodgeRida67

How could it have been resolved prior to me giving you proof. You did ask me for proof didn't you?

Just like that. It was resolved.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Maybe you can get your buddy, ChrisV...the new "CF A$$hole" to help you some more here...

Can we let this little puppy lie down, before we beat all the hair off his ass?

This is not an official Ford site, it's acker wheel site. Posted by BAV :banghead:

Ford Wheels...Ford Rims...What's the Difference?

Rims are the outer "rim" of the wheel.
Rims are like a donut or a ring (they look like a giant wedding band).
That is what a "rim" is..."the border edge of something".
Now if you take a "CENTER" (it looks like a dinner plate with holes in it) and put it inside the rim, VOILA! You have a wheel.
Just as 2 plus 2 equals 4...
"CENTER" plus "RIM" equals "WHEEL".

You need both rims and a center to make a wheel. The TIRE on the other hand is the part made of rubber.

Now that you know exactly what makes up a wheel you can feel comfortable in telling us exactly what Ford wheel or Ford rim you need.

posted by  lectroid

What oh what do you mean?

posted by  DodgeRida67

i feel that i should clarify that the only reason tires are black is because they are dyed. before they are dyed they are a nasty grey-ish color.

posted by  enron fever

Already shown that according to the dictionary, the term "wheel" includes the part called the "tire." So apparently, the definition of wheel isn't just the metal part that you want to call it. And the association of manufacturers that make "wheels" use the word "rim" in their names, as do the manufacturers and retailers of such non-ghetto products as rims/wheels and tires for boat trailers and utility trailers.

But Bav has this concept of "ghetto" so far up his a$$ that he can't see straight. And now, anyone who knows more than he does is automatically an asshole.

Good one, Bav.

"Rim" is a commonly known expression for the part you want to call the "wheel." Has been for almost 50 years, and not just in "ghetto" terms, but in the language of hot rodders customizers, truckers, and more. It also hepls to differntiate the road wheels from steering wheels (which, interestingly enough, include the leather covering as part of the "wheel") and pulley wheels

Now this is different that the definitions of "sports cars" and of "roadsters." I could explain how, but it would fly right over the heads of the persons that need to figure it out.

posted by  ChrisV

wheels is the correct term, however in this day and age the word rims seems to be more widespread and heard of. its no suprise that ad companys mention rims and not wheels. just remember, its part of the advertising company to fit in with the public and reach them on their level to get the message or in this case their product across.

posted by  WeaponR

ChrisV, I kinda like you, but not much :laughing: :mrgreen: :laughing: :mrgreen: Tell it like it is! I don't have to agree.

posted by  lectroid

Apparently you didn't get the point of "me calling you an a$$hole."

In fact it was not me, but DodgeRida67 that mentions in his sig that you are the new vwhobo...and vwhobo's forum title is...yup, you guessed it...CF Asshole. So if you have a problem with being called an a$$hole, take it up with DodgeRida67...he seems to think you are.

Now if that is not plain on my meaning in the previous post...I don't know how much clearer I can make it. Goodness...I even quoted his sig text.

Suffice to say I don't think you're an a$$hole, ChrisV...and I'm sorry you think I do. Fun to argue with, but not an a$$hole.

There are others more deserving of the true meaning of that vulgar word.

Your Message