Need computer help... Registry help.

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Need computer help... Registry help.

I'm pretty sure I used to have a "standby" option when I would go to shut down my Windows 98 at some point. It's been gone for a couple years now and even after countless hours spent on the phone with Dell, they can't help me get it back! I followed these instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q188134/

And at the very tail end I realize I do not have the "Suspendflag" option located in this registry folder:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\VPOWERD

Now off the top of your head, is there any way to add this key in manually, or must this be a change to be made on the hardware of the computer itself, ie, by buying something? If anyone knows a relatively painless way to get this option back so I can have the stand by option again, I'd really appreciate your letting me know. Thanks. :thumbs:

posted by  JaneiR36

if you asked this 4 years ago... i woulda known... but now,... sorry

posted by  mazda6man

Your knowledge can actually expire?!?!? :laughing:

posted by  JaneiR36

I took french for 5 years, but I can't speak a coherent sentance of it since I gave it up.

I don't advise doing this, as you can really mess up your computer, but here;s hoiw you change your registry.

1. Set a backup point
2. Backup all your crap to some external storage
3. Go to start-run-"Regedit"

From there, you can change pretty much anything you want to, but be careful, as I'm not sure, but by doing this, you might be voiding your DELL warranty.

in the link, follow step 11 from there.

BTW, where have you been janei? I miss arguing with you :laughing:

posted by  Godlaus

I don't have warranty! That sucka ran out a long time ago, but Dell still provides free phone support for all their customers (unlike those HP wankers :cussing: ). This is a computer I bought in '98 because it was required for school. Still works awesome, and I'm too cheap to replace it with a laptop or anything fancy like that :laughing:

Where have I been? Hmm..... I moved to another state and didn't have Internet access for almost 3 weeks :::shudder::: And then even after I got it, the funniest thing happened: My electricity got cut off for two days because I never switched the name on the account. But hey, I wound up getting something for nothing because they won't charge me for all the electricity I used in the three weeks, just an $8 activation fee and whatever costs I incur from there on out :smoke:

posted by  JaneiR36

So what do you need?? Anything with the computer??

posted by  mumin

Control Panel > Power Management

posted by  Wally

I find the last two posts somewhat shocking........

posted by  JaneiR36

I think wally's joking, taking a poke at your eletrical problem/issue.

posted by  Godlaus

time to get windows xp

posted by  mumin

noooooo.... time to get an apple.

posted by  Godlaus

or linux...

posted by  Zalight

:wink2:

posted by  Wally

Oh. I just knew something about it didn't sound right :laughing:

I tried Linux for a minute there. Gawd no.

My memory and disk space couldn't support a more elaborate operating system (XP).

A brand new computer... he he.......... Thanks, I really needed a joke to lighten up my afternoon :laughing:

Anyhoos... even though I entered the "SuspendFlag" value manually and repeated all the steps, it didn't work :ohcrap: Well, I guess if I want to be cheap, I might as well be cheap. ie, manually turning off the computer when the sound bothers me at night and then having to wait three minutes for it to come back on when I'm ready to use it again :cry:

posted by  JaneiR36

I stil ldont get what is wrong... Format your computer instal fresh windows 98 and tadaa

posted by  mumin

ya know, it might be the Windows 98 CD I have. The one Dell gave me for my initial win 95 to win 98 upgrade definitely installed the standby option correctly. But then I lost that CD and had to borrow someone else's. Coming to think of it, I haven't seen the option since.

Anyone wanna upload their entire Win 98 CD somewhere for me to download? :hi: Seriously. With broad band connections (and considering message board posting delays) you could have it up and down in two hours. It has to be a CD that gets the standby option to work, though. And it probably can't be Win 98 SE because I'm not running that, either.

posted by  JaneiR36

well here's a real problem if you don't consider the previous one a big deal.

Does anyone know how to open up a flat panel monitor? (I've been told it's an LCD, it has a soft screen like a laptop, and it's flat). I have one that got broken a while back and I've been hoping I'll be able to open it up at some point to see if I could repair or replace what got damaged. I've taken out all the screws and tried to pry it apart but it won't come open.

heh... I may have posted this question here before, I just don't remember anymore :wink2:

posted by  JaneiR36

Your Message