Double jeopardy law axed

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Double jeopardy law axed

Oh geez, this means I can now be tried for those many motoring offences that I was found not guilty for previously, Grrrr stupid evidence lol....just kiddin', I'm law abiding really :wink2:

In fairness I agree with the law being lifted myself. If any of you dont know what the hell I'm talking about (some of the 12yr olds may not lol), Double jeopardy is a law that came about around 800yrs ago which meant that a person coudn't be tried for the same offense more than once (ie, if they were found innocent the first time round). Dont worry though, it aint all bad, this now means that if new evidence was to be found on a person after he/she was found not guilty, they can be re-tried, for example, a murder that happened 50yrs ago wont have been investigated with the highest ferensic priority if ya get what I mean, lol....Put short it could mean less rapists and murders roming the streets.

I never used to understand it myself, but I think I have it pretty much sussed now. What are your thoughts people? :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

makes more sense this way...

I'm not even sure what the law was/is over here... I didn't think we had double jeopardy.

posted by  windsonian

I believe you did have the rule in the Aus....I think it's international :thumbs:

But yeah, it does make more sense this way :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

lol Certainly not in the US of A. The lawyers would have eaten this one alive so fast. :laughing: How hard did your people fight to prevent this?

It totally means the cops and prosecutors could be camped after somebody's house for life. Either way, you get a sentence whether you were "found" not guilty or not. The double jeorpady law was generally instituted so the "People" get one bite at the prosecutorial apple, and once you're found not guilty by a jury of your peers, you get to enjoy the rest of whatever life you have-- Not guilty. Free.

posted by  JaneiR36

but what if incontrovertible proof of guilt arises later????? is that person still free? neither system is totally fair, but the choice is a) the cops don't continually hound people and it works or b) criminals are free in society and it works.

posted by  windsonian

Happens all the time. It just means the prosecution has to work that much harder the first time around.

The first option isn't that much better, either. What if the police start blackmailing people. They could be like, hey, you're free until I introduce this piece of evidence, so pay me. Or they could choose to be lax just because they know they can keep working the case and prosecuting over and over again for eternity.

posted by  JaneiR36

Your Message