ARGH!!!! More issues with bathroom fixtures!!!

Home  \  Off Topic  \  ARGH!!!! More issues with bathroom fixtures!!!

I've been trying throughout today to unscrew the shower arm, onto which you screw the shower head. It's got an 11mm ring on which you screw the head and nothing they make today is 11mm, they're all 8 mm. So I have to take it out just to be able change the shower head at all.

Well, it won't budge!!! :banghead:

It's too smooth and circular, so nothing seems to be able to grip it well enough. I've tried a wrench, a pair of pliers, and also a vice grip type wrench with curved set of teeth. Nothing has worked. If anything, I've only succeeded in putting marks on the shower arm.

Any ideas?

posted by  JaneiR36

I'm guessing the shower arm curves down like most do, You could try putting a screwdriver in the end of it (after you take off the head) to give you more leverage. if it's that tight something may break back inside the wall or the arm may break off, Can you give it a shot of penetraing oil back there?

posted by  thefonz

Are you trying to uscrew the whole assembly at the wall, or just the captive nut that holds the head? If it's the nut get two hammers and gently tap around the circumference with one while holding the other against it 180° away from the impact zone. This will fracture the calium deposits and also make the nut expand. Adhering rubber washers is another matter.

It might be easier just to replace the whole assembly.

posted by  Wally

By "vice grip type wrench" do you mean a stilson wrench? That would be my first thought (although I do like the hammer idea). A stilson (not sure of spelling) is the wrench that you adjust to the size you want, and then the design of it makes it tighten more as you turn it.

posted by  windsonian

Oh I checked out some pictures of wrenches online. It's not a stilson wrench, it's a mole wrench.

I am in fact trying to unscrew the whole assembly. There isn't a nut in this design, rather, they have a ring that hangs off the arm and is prevented from slipping off by a "ball" at the end of the arm. Then the shower head gets screwed onto the ring.

I'll try the screwdriver suggestion and see how that works out. Thanks for the tips!

posted by  JaneiR36

good luck :thumbs:

posted by  windsonian

yeah........ the mole wrench started cutting into the arm, even with a cloth over the metal first. This bites. I may have to call in a plumber.

posted by  JaneiR36

Your Message