Mysteries of the Universe!

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Mysteries of the Universe!

im so damn bored at uni now..... 5 hours till my next class cuz we just ended a strike......

anyhow, i noticed godlaus's thread and i thought of another one that i had thought of a few weeks ago.

how bout everyone posts the grand misteries of the universe??

i have had this question for a very long time, and always expected an answer but no one knows.

how come women get bitchy when they are on their periods? and i dont accept lame excuses like, "it hurts. its as if they kicked u in the balls". they obviously dont know u cant even move when that happens.

so WHY?!?!?!?!?

posted by  Inygknok

This should get some good responses. :doh:

It is like asking why people get horney, or why some people cant sit still or why others are depressed. Chemical imbalances. (but do we really understand why?)

posted by  Voda48

Have you ever been in so sick, that you just don't want to talk to anyone, or do anything? I imagine it's like that, it's just a mood thing wherethey're (tired?) of it. Imagine getting punched inthe stomach 3/4 times an hour, would that leave you in a good mood?
...Regardless, I'm not in a position to speak for women, and this is only what I see as the logical answer, so don't take my word as God's.

------------------------------------------
Here's my first mystery that nobody can solve; (or atleast, that there is no such thing as infinity)

Can you travel an infinite amount of distances, regardless to how long they are (provided the distances are greater than zero)?

No? Well, then think about this. In order to travel one yard, you need to travel 1/2 of yard, and in order to travel 1/2 of a yard, you need travel 1/4 of a yard, and so on and so on, 1/4-1/8-1/16-1/32-1/64-1/128-1/infintiy. But it has to be possible to move one yard, you just did that when you got up this morning. Therefore, you crossed an infinite amount of distances. Hence, there is no such thing as infinity, or movement is an illusion.

#2 - Some christians always attack atheist like me for believing in the big bang and that it just happened. Yet their God is an exception to the 'have a need' for creation rule? What's up with that?

posted by  Godlaus

Well where does time come from? Where does it go? How long has time been here for and how long will it stay? Can time stand still or go backwards or is it constantly moving forward? Also, is time ever the same twice, and i dont mean like the next day but like for an example: the dates April 28, 2005 3:34m, will it ever be April 28,2005 at 3:34m again? I know this is probly stupid or makes no sense but meh who knows.

Also, where does space end? And where does it begin? And what really is inbetween? lol.

If nothing is something and something is everything, does that mean nothing is everything?

posted by  car_crazy89

If somebody posts on Car-Forums.com and nobodys logged on to read it, do they still get flamed?

posted by  theman352001

How about the mother of all questions, What is the meaning of life?

posted by  GreekWarrior

WHERE / WHAT is at the end of the universe? is there a black wall or what?

posted by  Ki2AY

A sign that says "the end" and the 1/1000th marker of vwhobo's ego. :hi: :clap: :orglaugh:

posted by  DodgeRida67

man id like to see that.

posted by  Ki2AY

or......

wat the hell is really going through Bush's mind????

posted by  Inygknok

I dont really gotta worry about that problem, i'm Canadian lol eh. I dont think anyone will ever know what he thinks or why he does things but it does keep things interesting on what stupid things he may say/do next. Just my opinion.

posted by  car_crazy89

$ $ $

posted by  abless

Hmm... you can only measure to the samllest thing that is a physical entity so no, you can't travel an infinite amount of space. I guess right now they are at quarks? or I think thats not even possible. Potentially the size of an electron?

My Question: Does hair stop growing at a certain point or does it just keep growing until it falls out? Like the hair on my arms. If I fell asleep for a few years would it be as long as the hair on my head?

posted by  boothe

i got a couple of dumb ones.

Can you freeze anti-freeze ? :mrgreen:

Where is this mysteriuos place called "on the side" that only women seem
to know about?

After going to the toilet you turn the tap on and wash your hands. But
what's the point when you just have to touch the tap you've put germs on
again to turn it off?

If you expect the unexpected, wouldn't the unexpected be expected?

If you are on a concord at full speed can you hear the engines? ( as you are
goin faster than sound! )

Who really did " let the dogs out "?

Does water float?

If I'm not a hypochondriac but think I am, does that make me a hypochondriac ?

why is there not a channel 1?

im seriously expecting answers....

posted by  Ki2AY

infinte has no end, so how can you travel an infinite amount of distances if there is no end?

posted by  Ki2AY

Is it physically possible to hit a bird when you're driving at a high speed? Is it necessary to swerve to avoid hitting them when the air currents might be so high that it'll shove the birdie out of your way.

posted by  JaneiR36

if apartments are called apartments, why are they so close together.

posted by  gageplate

How can something that is flammable go up in flames when so can something that is inflammable?

posted by  windsonian

Does water float?
If black is a combination of all the primary colours is a black hole collapsing all the yellows into one giant paint ball?

posted by  Wally

... or indeed, is water wet?

posted by  windsonian

These questions are insane and insanely interesting. I don't feel there are any real answers to some of them but I'll have fun making up theories! :clap:

Well I think thats simple? DO you know what moods are? Yeah. :thumbs:

It's weird that you'd think that, because I think that very same thing all the time. Getting from point A to point B, what is the smallest incriment there is? Even if there is a "smallest incriment" it should seem that one should NOT exist. :screwy: Good question.

Well I'm one of those "attackers." Frankly, (and not aiming this at you) people that believe things could "be" without a god (without creation) are simply ignorant.

Yes.

If you don't see the point don't do it. HAHA, actually, use some toilet paper to turn on the water. Ever notice "automatic" valves on some commercial sinks such as the ones in the bathrooms of such places like lowe's? That's why they are automatic.

Yeah, that's the whole point.

Sound can travel through practically anything. Getting from the engine to your seat through metal or whatever has nothing to do with how fast the material is going. So, yeah.

I did.

Sure.

There is a channel 1.

I guess you're talking about air currents "moving" birds out of your way much like a bug deflector does. Depends on how heavy the bird is, I suppose.

Because that word is not a literal.

You lost me.

Main Entry: flam·ma·ble
1: capable of being easily ignited and of burning quickly

Main Entry: in·flam·ma·ble
1 : FLAMMABLE
2 : easily inflamed, excited, or angered

posted by  DodgeRida67

Heres one that truely cant be answered but is rather something to "think about."

Biology.

What is the smallest "thing" that makes up "something"? Lets say your body. What makes up a cell? Sure, you can answer that. What makes up the things that make up those cells? Then again, what makes up those things? Then again, What are those composed of?

You should see that this would probably go on for along time, I'm sure it has an end. But here's the kicker... When and if you do find the end, and what is at the base of this, you'll realize, "wait, if this is the end, how is it working?" if gives you the idea that everything is actually made up supernatually, and everything living just simply should be "alive."

I mean it's like asking how does your arm move, well you say by your muscles contracting. How does that action happen? Then again, how does that action happen? Keep going and you'll realize somewhere it ends and at that end it's a supernatural thing that shouldn't even be.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Well, maybe your question just doesn't make sense. Now wait, before you get mad at me. Maybe there is a smallest possible thing. For example, (not meaning to attack you, seriously), why don't you question for god come from, and then question that, and that...

The idea I'm thinking of, is the 'what's north' example. Where, I ask wahts north of the USA, you answer, and I keep on asking what's north of [your answer], until we get to teh north pole, then I ask; "What's north of the north pole?" The question chain ends, there is no north of the north pole.

Not really ignorant for not believing in a god? No, just for not accepting that the door swings both ways is being ignorant. Why is the creation of the earth the exception, why can't the creation of God be one?...I'd like to debate with you over the creation of god sometime, but, would that be okay with you?

posted by  Godlaus

if a #2 pencil is always used, why isn't it #1?

posted by  gageplate

Everything has a begining. Like the begining of time. But of there was a begining of time, then what was before that?

Does god control life on other planets? And for that matter, is there even life on other planets?

How can our eyes see if they're just basically flesh, when the rest of our body is flesh, but it cant see anything?

Is there such thing as insanity or is it just an excuse?

Why is there always money for war and never any money for school?

posted by  Satty101

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

Why is it that when you transport something by car, it's called a shipment, but when you transport something by ship, it's called a cargo?

Why do they put braille dots on the keypad of the drive-up ATM.?

If a cow laughed, would milk come out its nose?

If 7-11 is open 24-hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?

If you tied buttered toast to the back of a cat and dropped it from a height, what would happen?

AND FINALLY

If nothing ever sticks to TEFLON, how do they make TEFLON stick to the pan?

Stupid i know but hey, if you can answer them then go ahead. This is a pretty entertaining thread lol.

What about:

Why do people with closed minds always open their mouths?

posted by  car_crazy89

is it always the same bird that craps on my hood immediately after i wash my car and leave it unattended for 1/2 hour? or do they work in shifts?

posted by  dodger65

I can also use google:

What was the best thing before sliced bread ?

Is the Hokey Pokey really what it's all About???

IF driving and drinking is against the law, why do all the bars have parking lots?

After you take a bath you're clean but wet, so u dry yourself with a towel. Why do you have to wash the towel? Isn't it clean?

Why does round pizza come in a square box?

If you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant...what do you do?

Who do you suppose was the first person to look at a chicken and say "I'm
gonna eat the next thing that comes out that chickens ass.."

Why do they call it a building if its already built?

Do blind people have dreams? if they do, do they know what they are seeing?

If Snickers really satisfies, why do they make a king size bar?

Who took the bite out of the apple computer logo?

What is a male ladybug called?

Why is abbreviation such a long word ? (much the same vein as "why don't we say world wide web instead of www?")

Why is the meaning of life hard to find when you have a dictionary?

Why isn't phonetic spelt the way it sounds?

If 'practice makes perfect' and 'nobodies perfect', why bother practicing?

Why do people yell heads up when something is flying towards your
head....do they want you to get hit in the face?

I once saw a sign, and it read: "Seeing-Eye Dogs Only". Can dogs read?

What's another word for synonym?

Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?

Why is it called a TV set when you only get one?

Does a fish get cramps after eating?

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

How can someone "draw a blank"?

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?

If you have your finger touching the rearview mirror that says "objects in mirror are closer than they appear", how can that be possible?

If you keep trying to prove Murphy's Law, will something keep going wrong?

Why do 'tugboats push their barges?

Why is it called a "building" when it is already built?

Why is it when two planes almost hit each other it is called a "near miss"? Shouldn't it be called a "near hit"?

And one I came up with myself:

What do you call a bad lemon?

posted by  windsonian

[QUOTE=Godlaus]Here's my first mystery that nobody can solve; (or atleast, that there is no such thing as infinity)

Can you travel an infinite amount of distances, regardless to how long they are (provided the distances are greater than zero)?

No? Well, then think about this. In order to travel one yard, you need to travel 1/2 of yard, and in order to travel 1/2 of a yard, you need travel 1/4 of a yard, and so on and so on, 1/4-1/8-1/16-1/32-1/64-1/128-1/infintiy. But it has to be possible to move one yard, you just did that when you got up this morning. Therefore, you crossed an infinite amount of distances. Hence, there is no such thing as infinity, or movement is an illusion.
Consider that any distance measured is a fraction of infinity, then 1/infinity could mean any distance desired because infinity is treated as a variable in mathematics. So, measuring any distance with infinity in the equasion would be impossible. Now, if we measured distance in speed of light, that would be a different story altogether. :doh:

posted by  srober32

No it isn't. It's not defined, but it's not variable.

posted by  windsonian

A Transvestite Bug.

A peach.

posted by  srober32

:clap: :orglaugh: :clap:

posted by  windsonian

Is it a constant? No, that would give it definition. Then it would be an "unknown"?

posted by  srober32

I'm not sure how you would classify it. Maybe somewhere between a constant and a variable? Maybe we can call it a constant variable.

posted by  windsonian

Original poster = car_crazy89

If 7-11 is open 24-hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?

~in case of power failure/robbery.

If you tied buttered toast to the back of a cat and dropped it from a height, what would happen?

~what the hell, you lost me..

AND FINALLY

If nothing ever sticks to TEFLON, how do they make TEFLON stick to the pan?

~the leprechaun did it.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Original poster = windsonian

IF driving and drinking is against the law, why do all the bars have parking lots?

~ where else are the cabbies gonna go?

After you take a bath you're clean but wet, so u dry yourself with a towel. Why do you have to wash the towel? Isn't it clean?

~ wet fabric has a tendency to mold.

Why does round pizza come in a square box?

~ because its easier to make a square box.

~ for fatasses

~ a trojan worm

~ because its a phrase, dictionaries only have a single word, at most, two.

Why isn't phonetic spelt the way it sounds?

~ because some greedy bastard cashed in on "hooked-on-phonics"

~ no, because thats their environment, constantly swimming

How can someone "draw a blank"?

~ easy, dont color the page

Why do 'tugboats push their barges?

~ they dont always push.

Why is it when two planes almost hit each other it is called a "near miss"? Shouldn't it be called a "near hit"?

~ because it's a lucky thing that they missed each other.

posted by  dodgerforlife

~ wet fabric has a tendency to mold.
~~YEAH, SO WHY WASH THE TOWEL? WHY NOT DRY IT?

~ for fatasses
~~LOL

~ a trojan worm
~~ALSO LOL

~ because its a phrase, dictionaries only have a single word, at most, two.
~~NO, THE MEANING OF "LIFE" COMES AS A SINGLE WORD, UNDER L. YOU'RE NOT TRYING TO FIND THE MEANING OF "THE MEANING OF LIFE"

~ no, because thats their environment, constantly swimming
~~ :banghead:

~ because it's a lucky thing that they missed each other.
~~YEAH, BUT THEY DID MISS, SO THE MISS WASN'T NEAR, IT WAS AN ACTUAL MISS. THEY DIDN'T "NEARLY" MISS EACH OTHER.

posted by  windsonian

~ The dictionary gives "definitions", not "meanings". If your looking for the meaning of life in the dictionary, your looking in the wrong place.

Unless perhaps, if your a bookworm.

posted by  theman352001

man probably the most interesting thing posted in this thread to think about. now i am believer in supernatural things.

posted by  Ki2AY

Yo, why is Jadakiss as hard as it gets
Why is the industry designed to keep the artist in debt
And why them dudes ain't ridin' if there part of your set
And why they never get it poppin' but they party to death
Yea, and why they gon give you life for a murder
Turn around only give you eight months for a burner, it's goin down
Why they sellin' niggaz CD's for under a dime
If it's all love daddy why you come wit your nine
Why my niggaz ain't get that cake
Why is a brother up North better than Jordan
That ain't get that break
Why you ain't stackin' instead of tryin' to be fly
Why is rattin' at an all time high
Why are you even alive
Why they kill Tupac n' Chris
Why at the bar you ain't take straight shots instead of poppin' Criss
Why them bullets have to hit that door
Why did Kobe have to hit that raw
Why he kiss that whore

All that I been givin'
Is this pain that I've been living
They got me in the system
Why they gotta do me like that
Try'd to make it my way
But got sent up on the highway
Why, oh why
Why they do me like that

[Jadakiss]
Why would niggaz push pounds and powder
Why did bush knock down the towers
Why you around them cowards
Why Aaliyah have to take that flight
Why my nigga D ain't pull out his Ferrari
Why he take that bike
Why they gotta open your package and read your mail
Why they stop lettin' niggaz get degreez in jail
Why you gotta do eighty-five percent of your time
And why do niggaz lie in eighty-five percent of they rhymes
Why a nigga always want what he can't have
Why I can't come through in the pecan Jag
Why did crack have to hit so hard
Even though it's almost over
Why niggaz can't get no jobs
Why they come up wit the witness protection
Why they let the terminator win the election
Come on, pay attention
Why sell in the stores what you can sell in the streets
Why I say the hottest shit but be sellin' the least

[Chorus]

[Jadakiss]
Uh, yea, yo
Why Halle have to let a white man pop her to get a Oscar
Why Denzel have to be crooked before he took it
Why they didn't make the CL6 wit a clutch
And if you don't smoke why the hell you reachin' for my dutch
Why rap, cause I need air time
Why be on the curb wit a “Why lie, I need a beer” sign
Why all the young niggaz is dyin'
Cause they moms at work, they pops is gone, they livin' wit iron
Why they ain't give us a cure for aids
Why my diesel have fiends in the spot on the floor for days
Why you screamin' like it's slug, it's only the hawk
Why my buzz in L.A. ain't like it is in New York
Why you forcin' you to be hard
Why ain't you a thug by choice
Why the whole world love my voice
Why try to tell 'em that it's the flow son
And you know why they made the new twenties
Cause I got all my old ones
That's why

posted by  Ki2AY

Good song with a lot of good questions ^^^

posted by  Satty101

Here's my question:

Why on toasters do they have the dial go all the way up to 10, when 2 will thouroghly brown your bread? Really, who wants to eat toast thats on fire?

posted by  moostang104314

who would drink a shot that's lit on fire?

Here's one that befundled me today; "How do dogs know to look at your eyes?"

posted by  Godlaus

Yo.
Because they instinctively know that the eyes indicate which way you are going to move, unless you have been trained otherwise.

posted by  srober32

If 7-11 is open 24/7..... why isnt it called 24-7 in the first place?

how come rappers always end their sentences with, "know wat im saying?"
wat if we dont know wat they are saying? (probably get shot i bet)

how come when some people finish talking, they ask, "ya heard?"

wat do horses have anything to do with ferraris?

in which movie did James Bond recieve a fountain of youth device in order to keep regenerating?

why is it that in the land of the free people get thrown into jail for practically anything?

how can people pay $5 a minute for psychic hotlines?

posted by  Inygknok

I believe it was open 7-11 when it first opened.

Ay yup :mrgreen:

Slang for: "you get what I'm saying?"

A pilot's family who was good friends with enzo ferrari, had their son (pilot) die in a crash, and he had an emblem of a prancing horse on his plane nose, so enzo honored it, and put it on his cars.

Sean Connery is invincible in real life :mrgreen:

We have the free choice to do whatever we want, and if we choose to break the law, we get thrown in jail.

How can people pay 500 bucks an hour for physciatry help?

posted by  Godlaus

how much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood. :mrgreen: (i think thats how it goes).

~ i gotta say, i love this thread, its the only place where you can act stupid and not get flamed at.

posted by  Ki2AY

How many posts can you make in a CF thread without being flamed?

posted by  windsonian

on avg IMO. around 2.5

posted by  Ki2AY

Does that count for any thread or pretty much all others EXCEPT this one? Most people who have posted here are probly over that limit. And how do you get .5 of a thread? Just type half of what you were gonna say? lol.

posted by  car_crazy89

I think you post half a comment by goi......

posted by  windsonian

I think this place is getting better... good job all. :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

is it because vwhobo is gone?

posted by  CarEXPERT

Just another mystery. I dont think anyone can tell for sure. Where is VWHobo anyway?

posted by  car_crazy89

DONT KNOW DONT CARE

posted by  CarEXPERT

all in the averages. You could flame/get flamed in 4 posts, then in 1, then 2, then 3. Add them up, get 10, divide by how many times (4), and you get an average of 2.5

posted by  Satty101

But you'd add the posts not the user's post count. :mrgreen:

posted by  DodgeRida67

it was another stupid answer for you my friend. :mrgreen:

posted by  Ki2AY

Haha, thats fine by me, i think i can easily fit in with the stupid answers :laughing: . I like hearing jokes and other funny things from people and thats what makes this thread so good. Keep up the stupidity all :orglaugh: j/k.

posted by  car_crazy89

Ah, James Bond, my hero. The name does not apply to an individual so much as security clearance, the 007 is the agent number and his license to kill. And Sean Connery RULES!

posted by  srober32

Connery... still the finest Bond

posted by  windsonian

~ a wood chuck would chuck what a wood chuck could if a wood chuck could chuck wood. :thumbs:

posted by  theman352001

HAHA! and how much wood would the wood chuck would have chucked would that be? :screwy:

posted by  Ki2AY

as much wood as the would chuck could have chucked wood :screwy:

posted by  Inygknok

:laughing: Why is the sky blue? i honestly forget the answre.

posted by  Ki2AY

if i do remember correctly, the sky is blue because the light refracts off of stuff in the air(dust, dirt, smoke, skin cells)

posted by  dodgerforlife

yep, different refractive indices for different colours of light. much of the red and other colours goes straight through, the blue bends more and comes down and we see it.

lucky it's not the other way around ... I reckon a red sky could be pretty harsh on the eye.

posted by  windsonian

thx, i thought it had something to do with the atmosphere being blue in color

posted by  Ki2AY

Heh...I have heard some funny answers to that question like, "The sky reflects all the blue water in the ocean" and "Space is Blue."

posted by  boothe

water in the ocean is only blue because of the sky.

...which brings us to another point .... which came first: fried chicken or omelette?

posted by  windsonian

definitely the omelette.

posted by  dodgerforlife

well, in times past, if u wanted turkey, u would cook the whole thing and it as much of it as possible, since salt only helps preserve the food out in warm temperatures for a VERY limited time.....

and fried as in.... frying it on a stove with sauce? or KFC style fried?

posted by  Inygknok

Not neccessarily true, but very accurate. The ocean is blue for differnt reasons, but as the light part goes you are on target. Blue light tends to have a smaller frequency, something like 400nm and red has a higher frequency, like 700nm. When in the water, red light is almost immediately absorbed in the top 5 feet of water due to its wave-length, while the other colors will travel further. It is for that reason that professional dive gear and underwater cameras have a red filtering, to try and add the color back into the spectrum.

This brings me to a question which I just answerd a few days ago(I know it is bad). I was cooking some veggies and I put some salt in the water, force of habit. I never really thought why I do this, add flav or to the food?? NO that cant be it. Adding salt raises the boiling point, therefore water boils at a higher temp and cooks the food faster. Blew my mind, I never had thought about it before.

posted by  Voda48

Heh... my exact point.

Hmmm...you just gave me an idea. A fried Chicken omlette. I am hungry.

posted by  boothe

That's the whole point of pressure cookers ... increase the pressure, raise the boiling point, cook stuff faster because it's hotter without boiling.

For the same reason, if you run a water pump with not enough water, you reduce the pressure dramatically and boil the water in the pump (at basically room temp) and the boiling wears out the pump impeller.

by the way, my fried chicken / omelette thing was a parody on what came first, the chicken or the egg..... :laughing:

posted by  windsonian

.... and I know I'm being picky, but 400nm is the wavelength, not the frequency. l = c/f where l = wavelength, c = speed of light in whatever medium you're dealing with and f = frequency.

posted by  windsonian

Good catch :thumbs:

posted by  Voda48

thanks, where would we be in this forum if everyone didn't single out everyone else's small, inconsequential errors?

posted by  windsonian

Your Message