i need some e-condoms

Home  \  Off Topic  \  i need some e-condoms

just got a 'puter for christmas, a Gateway 510X (http://www.gateway.com/home/products/hm_dtp_510x.shtml), i have yet to hook it up to the 'net just because i don't have the proper protection for it
it's got Norton (3 month introductory), but that's about it
i need pop-up blockers, i need firewalls, i need more virus protection, i will make my 'puter a fortress that none will be able to enter! (hopefully i'll be able to get into it though...)

suggestions? i'm pretty much 'puter illiterate, but i should be able to pick up on it easily enough

specs

posted by  asa67_stang

Norton Internet Security. You can download it for $30 (?) as soon as you get your computer online. It has everything you're asking for and more, works great.

posted by  vwhobo

AOL is your biggest threat...

posted by  BavarianWheels

My 2 cents/ you have Norton, 1st thing,log on internet, go to norton, update virus. Go to McAfee(symantec) get anything you want. I prefer McAfee, just an opnion.

posted by  lectroid

AOL will not be used
AIM is the closest thing coming onto my machine, and even then i'll use Trillian to connect to it

posted by  asa67_stang

OOPS, if you do download and install McAfee be sure to disable or uninstall Norton.

posted by  lectroid

Norton Antivirus

Ad-aware spybot search

Zonealarm firewall

posted by  Bubba

Try this website. It has lots-O-freeware and trial software for use.

Easy downloads.

<SpyChecker.com> (http://www.spychecker.com/)

Happy downloading! :D

posted by  BavarianWheels

pop-up stopper free edition (found here (www.panicware.com))

and zone alarm like someone said

and Spybot Search and Destroy...forgot where i got that you can prolly just google it

and the best of all this...its all totally free!!!!!

posted by  SuperJew

cool
thanks guys

i plugged in last night, got Norton, and some other crap updated and registered, got the Google pop-up blocker and AdAware (found 5 things on a brand new 'puter.... sheesh)
all was going well till Hibbetts (the guy with my suite-mate's key) finished studying for the night, he had said that he would leave the door into the room unlocked in case the modem hung so i could reset it, and i guess he forgot i had it hooked up or something because apparently he unhooked the line running to my room (that's the error message i'm getting at least), so once again, i'm without the 'net
s'ok though, at least i know that it works

posted by  asa67_stang

yeah... Zone Alarm... kicks ass...
and for the pop-up blocker, I recommend google toolbar. It has a built in pop-up blocker works great for me...

http://toolbar.google.com/

posted by  Unfedfat

well yeah Adam but then you actually have to have the toobar...which would drive me crazy

posted by  SuperJew

I had the toolbar, Yeah crazy. Had to dump it. But I still use Google

posted by  lectroid

i added u to msn, i have about 3-4 popstoppers and i know how to set up a really good firewall i can guide you through it if u like, this fire wall is wicked, so take the offer if u want

posted by  stringer001

s'ok man, don't worry 'bout it, i'm not that 'puter illiterate, thanks for the offer though

posted by  asa67_stang

some nice computer specs though.

posted by  stringer001

yeah, but I use Google alot(I mean ALOT) so I have no complaints with that... besides, that form filler thingy is not to shabby either...

posted by  Unfedfat

Your Message