SIM Cards

Home  \  Off Topic  \  SIM Cards

I found a cell phone at the park a few days ago, and I got it to work, but the person who owned it before me cancelled their plan, so I can't use it. After taking it apart I saw that it had a SIM card. It's a Nokia something, and it says Rogers AT&T at the bottom. I asked the guys at Radio Shack, and they said I could just buy a new card, what I want to know is:
1. Could I get a card from Verizon or Telus, or any other provider?
2. Would this delete all of the information on the phone to its factory settings?
3. If I was to go away for 2 moths, to Europe, could I use it there? Thanks for any information on this

posted by  chris_knows

One question, do you want it to be reset to factory spec or would you like to know what the previous owner has on it? I dont know much about phones lol but i wish you luck and hope someone can give you the answers you need.

posted by  car_crazy89

some service providers lock the phones so that you can't just put a new sim card in and start using them.

And as for Europe, it depends on the phone model. These days most phones are usable world-wide. Just talk to someone at a phone shop and ask if that model is compatible o/s.

posted by  windsonian

Alright, I'll check with them and tell you what happened.

posted by  chris_knows

Why don't...you just return it to the owner? I lost my cellphone on a plane a while ago, and if the person who had found it, returned it, I could reactivate it and use the minutes that were still on it. Call the SP, find out who it belongs to, and atleast try to return it.

posted by  Godlaus

:clap: :clap: If only there were more people like you. :thumbs:

posted by  windsonian

I say this because I was on the shafted end of a lost cellphone. Had I been on the recieving end, things would be much different. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, you should atleast try to return a cell phone to it's owner.

posted by  Godlaus

Aiyee, yes, when a cell phone plan is cancelled, the SIM gets toasted.

When you put a new SIM(Subscriber Identity Module) into the phone, it would be without any contacts. The settings on the phone will remain, but what the SIM's real purpose is to a)identify you with your service provider b)store your phonebook. So yes, you'd still have some settings, but no, nothing personal.

to windsonian: all service providers lock the phones, and not all phones are world-capable yet...theres several that I know of that are not world capable.

All that world capable means is that the phone has an extra frequency built into it...(IE - USA is 800/850 + 1900, EUR is 900 + 1800, world phones would have the american bands and either one or both of the other bands)

to chris_knows: not hard to get the phone unlocked to be able to use with other service providers, just google it(unlock codes + phone model + rogers wireless)

As for the phone being able to be used overseas... Well, you'd have to really know the model number of the phone. The model number will be located on the label underneath the battery, probably a 4 digit number, as that is generally what Nokia models run by(some of the models have a letter too). If you can get me that information, I can supply you with the answer you need.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Not all phones are SIM locked to a network .... at least not over here anyway. This allows for people to buy a phone outright and then connect it to a provider. If you get the phone as part of a plan, then it will be locked.

Rest of the info ... all good :thumbs:

posted by  windsonian

well, you aussies have always been a strange breed :laughing:

so sue me lol

posted by  dodgerforlife

s far as I know Verizon offers no SIM support. They use different hardware. So you won't be able to use them. you will have to go with Cingular or T-Mobile I believe.

Unlock codes are not always that easy to get. Sometimes you must call the current service provider I believe. But I am not sure. Regardless, you shoul dbe able to get it working if you chose to keep it.

posted by  boothe

I will try to return it, but I'm not very sure if the owner will want it, seeing as to how I chipped the side of the case a bit when cleaning the sound out of the insides. :doh: :ohcrap:

posted by  chris_knows

USA Cellular Service Providers:
Verizon = cdma(well, also next gen cdma - 1xEV-DO).
Sprint = cdma + 1xEV-DO
nextel = iDEN
t-mobile = gsm
uscellular = cdma/some tdma
metroPCS = cdma2000 1xRTT (third gen cdma)
cricket = cdma2000 1xRTT
Qwest = cdma
Suncom = gsm

Canadian Cellular Service Providers:
Bell: cdma
Fido: gsm
IslandTel: cdma
MTS: cdma
MTT: cdma
NBTel: cdma
NewTel: cdma
Rogers: gsm
SaskTel: cdma
Telebec: cdma
Telus: cdma
*alot of them operate on cdma2000 or cdma1X, which are just evolutions of the base cdma technology)*

Chris_knows, don't you live in canada? then your options are rogers or fido. If you lived in the states, then yes, cingular wireless and t-mobile would be the companies you'd have to go through(and suncom, depending on where you live lol)

to boothe: good luck getting an unlock code out of a service provider. I know that no provider in the US will give you an unlock code. Hell, people with AWS GSM phones cant even use them with CINGULAR, and its the same damn company.

like I said, try google.
(google search phrase: unlock codes + at&t wireless)
result:
http://www.gsm-unlock.com/

start there, if that doesn't help, try again.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Sorry I haven't replied in a while, but I have been wondering wether to return it or not, I decided not to, because the owner would have gotten a new one...
Dodgerforlife- it is a Nokia 3595.

posted by  chris_knows

Haha or is that why you waited so long, is you were hoping he went to buy a new one so you could justify keeping it by saying "well he probably bought a new one, he doesnt need this one now" :laughing: , i'm only kidding. You got a good deal there, doesnt get any better then FREE.

posted by  car_crazy89

actually, he's probably right, the original owner probably has replaced it already.

As for the phone, it is not a world phone.

For all the details and specs of the phone:
Nokia 3595 (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=266) (so sue me, thats an american cell phone carrier site, but its the same phone)

posted by  dodgerforlife

I just got back from Radio Shack, and it didn't sound like they really knew what they were talking about...They did say that I could use the phone overseas, but I would have to get it unlocked...They did not know how, neither do I...Do I have to get unlock codes...and if so, what do I do with them? Also with a SIM card, would I have a certain amount of money, which I could not exceed, and if I try to, the phone does not call? I heard it from a friend, I'm not sure if it's true. Would it cost more to make calls from Europe, but within the same city?
Sorry for all of the questions, but I don't really understand technology too much.

posted by  chris_knows

Well i know with mine (pay as you go cards) if/when you run out of the money the card was worth it will just hang up (happened to my friend), but you can have it set to let you know when its low. If you are on a plan it will let you keep talking but charge you a lot more for the time you went over. I dont really know about any of the other things you asked though.

posted by  car_crazy89

it could be used overseas, but in VERY few places, and yes, it would have to be unlocked for that. As for unlocking it, GOOGLE :) - find a site that not only gives you the unlock codes, but also will tell you how to do it.

SIM cards do not control your minutes. SIM cards store your personal information.

Prepaid minute cards will give you a set rate per minute, generally 20-25 cents per minute, do the math for 10, 20, 30$ cards.

Calling in Europe would DEFINITELY cost more, as it is overseas. Generally the charge is somewhere in the range of .99$ upwards(depends on carrier and calling package)

For example, Cingular Wireless. Standard cost for western europe roaming/dialing is 1.99$ per minute. Toss on a 3.99$ feature to your account, and you'll enjoy the benefit of discount dialing costs, down to 0.99$ per minute.

hope that helps.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Wow...I was really off then, I knew that SIM cards held your information, but I also thought it would work as a phone card...Would this mean that I would have to buy phone cards? Also if that's how it works, couldn't I just buy a card from Europe, andpay their rates?

posted by  chris_knows

Well i know with mine, the first two minutes are 30 cents and every minute after that is only 5 cents (thats what i was told anyways).

posted by  car_crazy89

theres a couple ways to call overseas

one, have a world phone, which means you can keep your SIM in it.

two, gets yours unlocked, and when you get overseas, buy a SIM from there, and the prepaid card(works same style)

car_crazy - I said generally, carrier rates do differ. I base my answers using mostly USA values, as I work for a US company.

For example, Cingular vs. Sasktel Mobility(province's carrier)

Cingular Nation 29.99 comes with 200 anytime, 1000 n&w(9pm to 6am), nationwide coverage, no charge for roaming or LD anywhere in the US. Extra minutes cost 0.45$ per minute.

Sasktel Mobility 'Mobility Unlimited' plan for 25.00$ comes with 50 daytime, and unlimited n&w(6pm to 7am). Local coverage. Extra minutes are 0.30$ per minute.

Thats a big difference. Especially when Americans get free phones, even on their upgrades, and us Canadians have to pay for the phone, and pay 100$+ on a decent upgrade.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Oh okay, well i dont know much about this kind of stuff so my mistake.

posted by  car_crazy89

no worries, we all learn different things lol

posted by  dodgerforlife

I downloaded a program which gives me the codes, but it gives me seven different ones, I have entered one of them...do I put in the other ones? So now I just buy a SIM card, which will work in Canada, and a phone card, and when I go to Europe, I take out the card, get a European one, and use their phone cards? Sorry for asking all of these questions.

posted by  chris_knows

the instructions should tell you what to do.

as for the rest, pretty much yeah.

like i said before, it will be limited service in europe. it all depends on whether the carrier in the country supports those frequencies.

posted by  dodgerforlife

Thanks for everybody's help, if anyone needs unlock codes, just send me the phone make/model, the IMEI, country that it is locked to, and what your service provider is.

posted by  chris_knows

I have a problem again... :ohcrap: I put in the unlock code, and the phone said that it was unlocked, I don't remember exactly, but today I put in a friend's SIM card, who has a phone from Telus, it was a Motorola i60c, and I'm not sure if it has to do something. It would give me the information on the card, such as phone number, but I couldn't call anybody, is this because I need a phone card for that phone or because I didn't unlock it right?

posted by  chris_knows

is your friend on a prepaid service or not? if not, was the service cancelled or suspended at any time or not?

If he is on a prepaid service, then you would need a card for minutes. If he was not on a prepaid service, and the service was cancelled or suspended at any time, then the SIM card would be fried(dead). In which case you would have to get a new SIM, which runs for about 20$-25$...

posted by  dodgerforlife

Your Message