Supercharger and Turbocharger

Home  \  Off Topic  \  Supercharger and Turbocharger

Is there a difference between a Supercharger and a Turbocharger? If so, could you please explain? Thanks

posted by  chris_knows

I'll tell you what I know, which is basically the jist of it.

Supercharger- They produce performance by having 2 screw like cylinders force more air into the engine. They are powered by a belt that actually turns the 2 screws. Thus creating your boost. However being belt drivin, They do make more power right away, but you sacrifice the use of some of your other options. Superchargers take away a little bit of power from your other engine components that need to be belt drivin as well.

Turbocharger- Turbochargers are powered by the exhaust, rather than a belt like superchargers are. The turbo is basically composed of 2 turbines. One turbine gets turned by the flow of exhaust trying to get out of the engine. The other compresses the air getting into the engine, which also forces it into your intake. However, because it relies on your exhaust pressure to spool up, it takes a while for it to actually give your engine more power. This period is called "Turbo lag". Now there is a way aroumnd turbo lag. You can have 2 turbos, one small, one larger. The smaller turbo spools up quicker giving you better power sooner, but leaves off your top end. This is where the big turbo would help. Once the first turbo reaches it's top end, the larger one spools up, and gives your car a faster top end.

In conclusion, both of these systems work generally the same. They both force air into your intake manifold to let your car get me air to breathe in. The only MAJOR difference is the way they're powered (Superchargers by belts, Turbochargers by exhaust pressure).

If someone finds something wrong with this info, please feel free to correct me. :thumbs:

posted by  Satty101

cant we just direct him to one of the other many posts in these forums with plenty of this info????

posted by  Inygknok

Silly Inygknok, that would be too easy.

Besides, who cares? Satty apparently had enough time to explain it, and if nobody did, then we can just link it.

posted by  Godlaus

I had all week seeing how I seperated my shoulder last Friday... :banghead:

posted by  Satty101

lol, whenever I get hurt like that, I always claim it as a sex injury.

posted by  Godlaus

I flipped my friends truck in a feild..

posted by  Satty101

...ore it could be that.

Musta been an experience, huh.

posted by  Godlaus

Yeah...mainly when we JUST got it running (Didnt run at all, had to replace about 1G worth of engine stuff, and the suspension) and then to hit a little dry spot, grab like crazy, flip on the roof, and have the seatbelt break...yeah. Im done mudding for a while...lol

posted by  Satty101

now i feel like the trix rabbit :D

posted by  Inygknok

Great stuff Satty, I once blew up a Corolla....but that aint nearly as cool as your sex injury :hi:

Great goin' on the explaination by the way! :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

remember one thing: all turbochargers are superchargers, but not all superchargers are turbos... :laughing:

Turbochargers are a class of superchargers, originally known as exhaust driven superchargers.

there are belt driven superchargers, gear driven superchargers, and exhaust driven superchargers (turbos). On the belt drive side, there are Roots style, vane type, and centrifugal type (which are essentially belt driven turbos in design, though decidedly not in operation). In each type, there are various subtypes.

posted by  ChrisV

Duplicate.

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message