I guess GM made some announcement

Home  \  Off Topic  \  I guess GM made some announcement

My dad just came in and told me GM had some plan (And I don't like it). Only Chevy and Cadillac are going to have complete lines now (SUVs, cars, Trucks, Vans, etc). The others (GMC, Hummer, Buick, Saturn, Pontiac, SAAB, etc.) are only going to make 1 genre vehicle. GMC will probably go with Trucks, Hummer with...well, Hummers, Buick probably a larger sedan, Saturn with econocars, Pontiac probably with a sportier coupe...would anybody else be as upset as I am if this is actually happening???

posted by  Satty101

That would mean some companies would lose more sales that way. I for one don't like that idea one bit

posted by  99integra

That is pretty much how it is right now?

posted by  jarvisx2000

Would there be any reason to be upset if the parent company remains the same?

posted by  BavarianWheels

It's changing because of the parent company. Take a look at their stock sometime.

posted by  DodgeRida67

No, right now they all (except for Hummer and SAAB) make more than one genre of vehicle. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

posted by  hondaman

They don't really have a choice. They are doing this to try and save themselves.

posted by  DodgeRida67

They do have a lot of duplicate cars, but eliminating them doesn't make much sense. Oh well, it seems to me that they are doing alright, but that may be because down here in redneck country almost every car you see is American.

posted by  hondaman

Well down here were we are it's either a Ford or Chevy.

posted by  DodgeRida67

Most of their profit are in the duplicare cars so they must be thinking of new models.

posted by  99integra

That sounds about right. Leave it to Genral Motors to come up with some backwards ass idea like that :banghead: . Thats a bad move on their part, theyll lose so much money it wont even be funny.

posted by  FordFromHell351

General Motors is letting Oldsmobile and Buick go though. They will no longer be making a Buick or Oldsmobile.

posted by  FordFromHell351

My point exactly...

posted by  BavarianWheels

Alright, I got ya. :thumbs:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Oldsmobile was gone a while ago. They were discontinued 2-3 years ago. Buick will still be there...hopefully...

posted by  Satty101

I think the idea is so that they dont have competing cars anymore. They could be loosing sales to another part of GM. I can understand why they are doing it, I guess, but I still dont think it is that great of an idea.

posted by  StiMan

They still seem to be doing a little worse than Ford in stocks. Would this mean that they will only make the H2, or H3, from Hummer? That really sucks...

posted by  chris_knows

I'm gonna be picky, Oldsmobile's last year was 2004, but anyway, GM ought to do something to try and save themselves. I don't believe doing what you said would help, making each company create one type of car. The way I see it, GM has got too many duplicates. (For example the Saturn Relay, Buick Terreza, Chevy Uplander, and Pontiac Montana SV6 are all the same van with different badging.) It seems as if GM is afraid to try something new, go really exotic. It's not so much a problem with Cadillac because they have made a secure entry into the luxury market, and the company is well known. But, I think General Motors has to really step up in build quality. Get higher quality materials and a new line of engines plus reworked styling. I think GM has spent so much money building six different SUV's based off the same Trailblazer platform, that it has nearly exhausted the money needed to develop entirely new platforms and models. Without these important funds, either the General will go down the hole or will be stuck selling ten different versions of its Chevy Cobalt. Looks exciting, doesn't it? :banghead:

posted by  moostang104314

horrible move on GM's part theyd b about better 2 jus sale the companies their strickting down

posted by  hhsrastler92

well, considering how i hate gm... i relly dont care whatthey do...

chevy...crap... new vette is ugly
pontiac... crap...
hummer... crap... H2 sucks
saturn... well,,, crap
buick... crap...crap
cadilac... the only company that is making new cars that i actually like... werll, new car... the new one with the vette stuff in it is pretty cool

posted by  mazda6man

Your Message